Happy cat and grumpy squirrel

Old March 12th 04, 06:30 PM
Singer709

Default Happy cat and grumpy squirrel

In my new apartment, I have an enclosed patio with high fences (my
catbuddy RJ has no front claws -- due to his former owner).

So now, RJ loves to go out and sit comfy on the patio and sniff the
scents. And now, since I've been here for a couple months, there's
this squirrel who forages around the back area. And the squirrel
squawks at RJ, "Chiiih, Chiiih" and RJ simply sits there, ignoring it.

Happy cat, grumpy squirrel.
Old March 12th 04, 10:23 PM
jmcquown

Singer709 wrote:
In my new apartment, I have an enclosed patio with high fences (my
catbuddy RJ has no front claws -- due to his former owner).

So now, RJ loves to go out and sit comfy on the patio and sniff the
scents. And now, since I've been here for a couple months, there's
this squirrel who forages around the back area. And the squirrel
squawks at RJ, "Chiiih, Chiiih" and RJ simply sits there, ignoring it.

Happy cat, grumpy squirrel.

Most squirrels are grumpy. But mostly they don't give a rip. I'll re-post
a pic of one over on alt.binaries.pictures.animals that I took last summer.

Jill

Old March 13th 04, 12:45 PM
Sherry

Around here it's just the opposite - the squirrels scamper around on
the other side of the chain link fence, ignoring the cats. While the
cats watch intently, ready to pounce, tails lashing, while they softly
try to talk the squirrels into visiting our side of the fence.
--
Steve Touchstone,

Here, too! The squirrels don't pay much attention to the cats, and Bootsie in
particular sure has her sights set on catching one. I don't know whether she
could kill one or not. She is a little cat herself, not much bigger than the
fat squirrels. I hope not. I'd hate that. Has anyone ever actually had a cat to
kill aa squirrel?
Sherry

Old March 13th 04, 02:38 PM
Marina

"Sherry " wrote in

Here, too! The squirrels don't pay much attention to the cats, and Bootsie

in
particular sure has her sights set on catching one. I don't know whether

she
could kill one or not. She is a little cat herself, not much bigger than

the
fat squirrels. I hope not. I'd hate that. Has anyone ever actually had a

cat to
kill aa squirrel?

I'm afraid so. Nikki, huntress extraordinaire, isn't such a surprise, but
she has only killed a half-grown squirrel, but Frank has killed a grown-up
one. I have no idea how he managed it. I saw him follow a squirrel into the
woods, the squirrel was jumping from treetop to treetop and Frank was
following on the ground. Some time later he came out of the woods with the
squirrel in his mouth. My sister claims the squirrel must have fallen down
from the tree laughing at my Frank, who is not known for his hunting
prowess, or that Frank found another, dead squirrel on the ground. (Sorry
about the morbid humour, we're like that in our family.) I didn't like it of
course, but then I kept telling myself squirrels are terrible marauders of
birds' nests, so Frank did all the little birdies a favour.

Gross Warning!! BTW, do you know how I dispose of all the carcasses that
Nikki brings home? We don't have running water or a municipal garbage
service out on the island, so I put them in the big anthills that we have
there. They clean away a carcass, furs and bones and all, in a couple of
days. Mum does complain that I feed the ants, but they are such an efficiant
clean-up crew.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 13th 04, 04:37 PM
Charleen Welton

"Sherry " wrote in message
Around here it's just the opposite - the squirrels scamper around on
the other side of the chain link fence, ignoring the cats. While the
cats watch intently, ready to pounce, tails lashing, while they softly
try to talk the squirrels into visiting our side of the fence.
--
Steve Touchstone,

Here, too! The squirrels don't pay much attention to the cats, and Bootsie

in
particular sure has her sights set on catching one. I don't know whether

she
could kill one or not. She is a little cat herself, not much bigger than

the
fat squirrels. I hope not. I'd hate that. Has anyone ever actually had a

cat to
kill aa squirrel?
Sherry

Your story made me think back to when Victor Velcro was a young cat. I

was at the computer working on something that required a great deal of
concentration. I took a break and there on the floor to my left was one
alive, but alseep posseum, and lying on top of and across the posseum a
sound asleep hunter, Victor Velcro.

Charleen

Old March 13th 04, 05:18 PM
Lisa Katt

Marina skrev i meddelandet ...
snip
Gross Warning!! BTW, do you know how I dispose of all the carcasses that
Nikki brings home? We don't have running water or a municipal garbage
service out on the island, so I put them in the big anthills that we have
there. They clean away a carcass, furs and bones and all, in a couple of
days. Mum does complain that I feed the ants, but they are such an

efficiant
clean-up crew.

--

That is how we used to dispose of killed adders when I grew up.
Elisabet

Old March 13th 04, 08:17 PM
Laura Burchard

In article ,
Sherry wrote:
Here, too! The squirrels don't pay much attention to the cats, and Bootsie in
particular sure has her sights set on catching one. I don't know whether she
could kill one or not. She is a little cat herself, not much bigger than the
fat squirrels. I hope not. I'd hate that. Has anyone ever actually had a cat to
kill aa squirrel?

Cinder, when she was still just an abandoned kitten trying to move in,
killed and ate a juvenile squirrel that was about as long as she was. She's
a tiny, elegant looking thing with the smallest mew, but underneath that
fluffy exterior there's a hell of a hunter.

In fact, when I took her for her first appointment, the vet found a bone
wedged across her palate -- flat bladelike thing about an inch or so long,
probably a squirrel shoulderblade.

Laura

--
Laura Burchard -- -- http://www.radix.net/~lhb

"Good design is clear thinking made visible." -- Edward Tufte
Old March 13th 04, 08:52 PM
Steve Touchstone

On 13 Mar 2004 12:45:37 GMT, itty (Sherry ) wrote:

Around here it's just the opposite - the squirrels scamper around on
the other side of the chain link fence, ignoring the cats. While the
cats watch intently, ready to pounce, tails lashing, while they softly
try to talk the squirrels into visiting our side of the fence.
--
Steve Touchstone,

Here, too! The squirrels don't pay much attention to the cats, and Bootsie in
particular sure has her sights set on catching one. I don't know whether she
could kill one or not. She is a little cat herself, not much bigger than the
fat squirrels. I hope not. I'd hate that. Has anyone ever actually had a cat to
kill aa squirrel?
Sherry

I've never seen the current felines catch, or even coming close to
catching, a squirrel. But, back when I was in high school out in
California, our cat managed to bring home a ground squirrel.

Mittens wasn't a big cat, and the ground squirrel must have been as
big as he was. Not sure where he caught it, but it was about three
quarters of a mile from where we lived to any ground squirrels. He not
only had to catch it and carry it home, but then jump a 8 foot privacy
fence.

No doubt the reason he brought it home was to show off his hunting
abilities to our daschund, his adopted dad, who was forever trying,
and failing, to catch one when we took him for walks in the foothills.

Happy and Sad rescue story:

While out walking the daschund in the foothills we found a gunny sack.
Inside we found Mittens and his littermates. Their eyes were still
unopened, and Mittens was the only one still living. We took him home
and fed him with a medicine dropped.

As he grew older, Mittens lived in the back yard and slept in the d*g
house with Bobo,the daschund, until he grew old enough that he
realized he could climb fences. Growing up, we kids had various pets,
cats, d*gs, rabbitts, and a tortoise. Mittens and Bobo always had a
special bond and were the best of buds (though Bobo hated all the
other cats and barely tolerated most of the d*gs - he was pretty
anti-social to everyone but HIS hoomins and Mittens.) They've both
been at the RB since the mid-70s.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 13th 04, 09:28 PM
GraceCat

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message No
doubt the reason he brought it home was to show off his hunting
abilities to our daschund, his adopted dad, who was forever trying,
and failing, to catch one when we took him for walks in the foothills.

Hehe, our Mutt is the same way. She *love* to catch a squirrel. Funnily
enough, she d*mned near did one day. She's sniffing under the tree at
the same time a squirrel misjudged a leap and came crashing down through
the branches landing literally a tail's length from Mutt's nose. Mutt
was so shocked she froze and blinked until the squirrel regained it's
senses... which didn't take long.

It clicked for them both after a couple seconds and both took off at the
same time. Mutt probably could snap tail fur she was so close and
closing in. If that tree had been just a few feet further she would have
probably been at the vet getting a nose stitched up

Grace