Squirrel Friend Shock. Lil guy is alive

Old October 8th 05, 05:17 AM
Brian Link

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:21:52 -0600, Rebecca Root

On 2005-10-06 21:45:55 -0600, Brian Link said:

big snip

On the other hand, maybe he could move in :-) My last winter in
Minnesota, I had a chipmunk living in my house. My cat Thackeray
brought him in and then lost interest. The chipmunk liked it inside and
wouldn't leave even when he had a chance. So we just all coexited.

Hm.. Becky the harpist?

BLink

Yep, it's me

What a small world - I think I even remember that chipmunk story.

Hope all is going well. Send some triple-harpists up north, we're out
of em.

BLink
Old October 8th 05, 05:21 AM
Rebecca Root

Old October 9th 05, 12:28 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:09:43 GMT, Diane
wrote:

In article , "Lumpy"
wrote:

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

Trap and cage it. Check with the zoo, but I don't think gray
squirrels resist captivity one bit if they are well fed and cared for.

The zoo people are going to tell you wild animals belong in the wild.
--

But .. would the zoo people at least feel hypocritical if indeed
they did?

No, the zoo people generally don't take animals out of the wild (and
haven't for years) unless there is an urgent conservation need and it's
approved by a governing body. They also have expertise in the nutrition,
management, husbandry, and enrichment of animals. Most people who take
in perfectly happy wild (and common animals) end up wondering why their
"pet" became aggressive or died. There's quite a bit of difference.

Well, Diane, that is why I suggested that Brian contact the zoo and
talk to an expert. Are you an expert? I don't think so. There's a
difference between a know-it-all and a real expert, and it's not that
hard to spot.

I'm not an expert either, but I had a reason for making the suggestion
I did. I have had a lot of interaction with biologists who
rehabilitate wild animals at Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehabilitation
Center in Friday Harbor WA. Baby seals get swept up in the current
and separated from their mothers at a tender age, and it is unpleasant
to watch them slowly dehydrate and starve so I take them in.

These people stress the importance of not taming any wild animals. An
animal trained to accept food from human hands is thereby rendered
less likely to survive in the wild.

Squirrels tend to be unwelcome at bird-feeders, and plenty of folks
have a pellet gun to deal with them. Brian cares about this squirrel,
but he has trained it to be suicidal in its quest for human handouts.

That is why I suggested he capture it.

Gray squirrels are charming and friendly as pets but highly
destructive if given a chance. This I have seen first-hand.

However, it may be unlawful in the state of Minnesota to capture any
wild animal for the purpose of making a pet out of it.

Charlie
Old October 9th 05, 10:15 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:37:09 GMT, Diane
wrote:

In article ,
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

Well, Diane, that is why I suggested that Brian contact the zoo and
talk to an expert. Are you an expert? I don't think so. There's a
difference between a know-it-all and a real expert, and it's not that
hard to spot.

Well, Charlie, I worked with experts for several years, and we had this
discussion many times. And I told the OP exactly what the experts told
me.

Bah. Who are these experts? Do a little research on the web.
Squirrels in captivity can live 20 years, but they are lucky to make
it four or five in the wild. They are up against mites, bott flies,
infected wounds, guns, dogs, cats, cars, poisons, electricity... a
slew of lethal forces, many of which involve a lingering and painful
death.

Another thing that escapes your attention (apparently) is the fact
that squirrels are vermin, an undesirable species. They clog up rain
gutters and chimneys. They get into outbuildings and make a mess.
They keep birds away from bird-feeders. People kill them
indiscriminately for these reasons, usually with air guns.

Here are a couple of links to educate your naive and sheltered mind:
http://home.comcast.net/~pelletgunn/sqr.htm
http://www.antisquirrel.com/

I get the feeling you just like to argue for the sake of it. Your loss.

You took issue with my suggestion, but you gave no reason. That
invites a skeptical response.

You also ignored the reasons why I think it might be a good idea to
make a pet out of this particular animal. I call that "snip and
snarl." It is the recourse of shallow-minded people who don't know
what they are talking about.

Charlie
Old October 9th 05, 02:26 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 10:50:43 GMT, Diane
wrote:

In article ,
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

You also ignored the reasons why I think it might be a good idea to
make a pet out of this particular animal.

No, I didn't. I don't like to argue for the sake of arguing as you
apparently do. But those reasons weren't particularly good reasons.
Animals can be taught aversion -- I've seen wildlife experts do it when
it needs to be done. Besides, squirrels in urban/suburban areas are all

Yeah, it's easy. Scare your little friend away after he's gotten used
to visiting and getting food. That may be good stewardship, but it's
pretty darn cold.

Have you ever had an orgasm, Diane? Probably not. I'll bet that is
why you have this attitude of wanting to inflict suffering on the
world in the name of some higher morality. It is a tendency I have
observed in quite a few nuns, especially old ones.

used to humans to varying degrees. I've had them crawl in my lap, on my
shoulder, on my knee. But I didn't turn them into "pets," nor did anyone
else.

No one else? Who put up all these web pages about pet squirrels? Why
does some guy sell supplies especially for pet squirrels? Was I
hallucinating pet squirrels as a kid when I played with them at a
friend's house???

I don't think so, Diane. You are entirely ignorant about this
subject, and it's inexcusable when good information is just a few
clicks away.

You also selectively ignore the dozens of reasons not to turn wild
animals into pets, but they don't fit your argument.

List the first three dozen.

Whatever, Charlie. You keep telling people to take in "pets" that don't
need to be taken in to your heart's content.

I will do so. This discussion has convinced me it's not even
necessary to call the zoo. Who really cares? It's a goddamn gray
squirrel. For a few bucks you can get a hunting license in Minnesota
that allows you to bag seven a day, every day. So cry me a river
about tampering with nature or whatever your thinking is on this
subject. You have proven you are ignorant and want to stay that way.

Brian, trap that squirrel and make a pet out of him. You'll be doing
him and the world a favor.

Charlie