Purrfect Ending to Battle Over Hemingway's Cats

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 26th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Purrfect Ending to Battle Over Hemingway's Cats

For those following the Hemingway cats case. An agreement was met today and
the cats are to be left alone. Follow the link there is a gorgeous six toed
master

http://www.theledger.com/article/200...news/809250391

KEY WEST | The famed six-toed cats at Ernest Hemingway's island home aren't
going anywhere.

The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum announced Thursday it reached an
agreement with the federal government that lets the 50 or so cats continue
roaming the grounds, ending a five-year battle that could have resulted in
them being removed or caged.
The cats descend from a cat named "Snowball" given to the novelist in 1935
and freely wander the grounds of the Spanish colonial house. All the cats
carry the gene for six toes, but not all show the trait.

The home is where the Nobel prize-winning author wrote "For Whom the Bell
Tolls" and "To Have and Have Not" and is one of the most popular visitor
attractions in the Florida Keys.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture confirmed the agreement. It had
threatened to fine the museum $200 per day per cat - about $10,000 - saying
it didn't have the proper animal exhibition license and couldn't qualify for
one, primarily because the animals weren't enclosed. The museum has
installed a fence to keep the animals on the one-acre property.

From 2003 until October 2007, a series of meetings between USDA and museum
officials proved fruitless, said Michael Morawski, president and CEO of the
museum.

Finally, about a year ago, Morawski and a USDA deputy administrator agreed
to hire an independent animal behaviorist to make recommendations.

Dr. Terry Curtis, from the University of Florida's College of Veterinary
Medicine, said in a report that the cats appeared "well-cared for, healthy
and content" and suggested the special fence that was installed.

"We're excited we found a solution that protects the health and welfare of
the cats while preserving the historical integrity of the Hemingway Home and
Museum," Morawski said. "That's been our whole goal since we were notified
by the USDA in 2003."

Morawski said the museum has spent more than $250,000 for lawyers and the
fence and continues to question the need for the permit. The courts might
have to settle that question.

"The cats have been living on the grounds for years and we're not a zoo,
carnival or amusement park," he said.