What Can I Do To Help This Cat?

Old November 14th 03, 01:20 PM
Luvskats00

writes

you need to understand that
the damage has already been done and will take some time to undo, so the
best thing you can do is be very patient and don't try to reintroduce
her to your resident cat until you get her other issues resolved.

In an ideal world, that would be the only course of action. However, I'm faced
with a long-term "banishment" of resident cat. This is not acceptable. He has
his window perch to see the birds in the bedroom..I won't have him shut out
(long term) while we sleep in the bedroom. He cries on the other side of the
door, anyway, and it has driven me mad. I'm partially insane at the moment (I
honestly don't know how young mothers deal w/crying infants for any length of
time..I would have gone to a mental hospital..good thing I don't have
kids..eek)

Take her to a vet and have her checked for a UTI. She is clearly
stressed and stress can cause UTIs. Until you do this, don't assume she
has a behavior problem.

That is one of the things I will consider if my current plan fails. So far,
she has deficated in the box (while caged)...she will be kept in the cage most
of the time until she goes for a block of time 1) using the box exclusively AND
2) not throwing up for 2 straight days. Since she used the box and didn't
vomit at the vets/at the shelter, I believe it is NOT medical..but, nothing
will be ruled out...yet.

Plastic seems to be very attractive to cats for peeing on.

Oh, joy! I must write off this mattress...even though I cleaned it as best I
could, I'm sure the urine scent remains. Keeping it will reinforce the idea
that it is an area to deposit pee..and the resident cat will continue to go
nuts about it.

I would suggest you try a high quality canned food
such as Wellness or Felidae and try it out in very small amounts. Try
brushing her and loving her up for a few minutes to get her to relax

Keep in mind she DID not throw up (eating regular supermarket brand cat food)
while at the vets for 3 days AND at the shelter for one month. She only started
(supposedly) at my place. I'm using the same brand of food the vet used.
Granted, I've changed the food 3 times (before learning what the vet was
using). She appears to be relaxed in the bedroom..it's the quietest enviorment
around. She rolls over on her back and loves when I rub her stomach and chin.
She chirps every time I move and rubs against me...she loves being touched, BUT
she also jumps at the drop of a hat...when I clear my throat, etc.

As someone said in a movie, once..."baby steps"...sometime during the night,
she used the box to deficate. At least that means some food was digested and
she's getting some nourishment (and using the box). I will do a backflip (not
really, I'll be in traction for 3 years) if she stops throwing up. If this
food - same food vet used - doesn't work, I will try a bland specialty brand.

There are a number of medical possibilities that could be considered as the
cause. She did have an x-ray..it didn't show anything. Before going for blood
test and more invasive procedures, I'm going to wait a couple more days.She
used to box once..so I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting her used to it.
The food problem will be addressed medically if the problem doesn't stop.

Old November 14th 03, 01:28 PM
Jeannie

IMO the cat is peeing on the bed to get your attention. Make the cat sleep
somewhere else. Your the boss, you can't let her kick you out of your own
bed!! Now you are no longer sleeping there, she must think she's won and
has claimed your bed as her own space.

My friend had a similar problem with her 2 cats fighting, her solution was
to put the cats in 2 separate cages and leave them in the same room for a
couple of hours at a time. Over the days, she moved the cages nearer and
nearer to each other so they got the cats got the opportunity to get to know
each other in a non-life threatening manner. They got used to each other
eventually. Patience is the key.

Jeannie

Old November 14th 03, 01:30 PM
Luvskats00

writes

Don't assume that there is no medical issue based on the above. A UTI
an crop up in a day, not to mention the fact that at the vets she was
confined to a very small area and peeing in the litterbox was probably
her only choice.

I understand what you're saying. Many people have written and declared that I
should have this test or that test...In an ideal world, I would have everything
medically checked out 4-5-6-7- times. Logically, there is too much of a
possibilty that bringing her to the vet and back won't be more stress...If she
checks out as OK..no guarantee that when she finally has a showdown w/the other
cat, she won't stress out more...and so on. Would I deny her medical
treatment? No, of course not..but I'm not running to the vet every other hour,
either. The vet was told every detail I posted here and suggested the x-ray
and monitoring. I complied gladly. Of the 25+ phone calls (to vets & cat
experts) & posts to various newsgroups, I have been advised to do so very many
things. Some are logical..some are absolutely idiotic. I have to use my
(limited) judgement and follow the best course of action. Also, I have a
slight suspicion that she was having health problems at her old home. the
former owner (and idiot, to be sure) claimed that the cat was too much trouble.
Since the cat was the solo cat and practically stayed in one place, I am
guessing that she exhibited some of the problems I face now - over there. And
that's why she was given over to the rescue group...This is only a guess,
though.