Bad breath and...?

Old March 28th 04, 09:52 PM
Dennis Carr

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:55:29 +0000, MacCandace wrote:

And an ammonia smell would probably be CRF...although I think it has to be
pretty advanced for that to occur. My CRF kitty never had that.

Actually, considering how hazardous ammonia is, if you smell that, your
cat may already be dead from CRF.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old March 28th 04, 09:56 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Dennis Carr" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:55:29 +0000, MacCandace wrote:

And an ammonia smell would probably be CRF...although I think it has to

be
pretty advanced for that to occur. My CRF kitty never had that.

Actually, considering how hazardous ammonia is, if you smell that, your
cat may already be dead from CRF.

When you take a suspected CRF cat into the vet, that's one of the first
things the vet does - sniffs the cat's breath for the ammonia odor.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old March 29th 04, 02:05 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:28:49 -0800, Dennis Carr
wrote:

A general rule, as I have read, is that bad breath is a harbinger of
illness in your cat in one form or another.

But here's the thing - what should I be smelling for?

It's granted that my cats are probably never going to have minty fresh
breath as they seem to have an aversion to my tin o' Altoids, so smelling
for anything can be a not-so-pleasant experience as a general rule. As
such, is there a characteristic odor that one could keep an eye.... well,
a *nose* rather, out for, and if it's anything specific (oppose the 101
things wrong by one sign), what it could mean?

A decayed tooth will give the cat bad breath and you certainly will
know it. Also, any sore inside the mouth will give a bad odor.

Old March 29th 04, 03:01 AM
Dennis Carr

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:56:24 -0500, Cathy Friedmann wrote:

When you take a suspected CRF cat into the vet, that's one of the first
things the vet does - sniffs the cat's breath for the ammonia odor.

I did not know that....

Old March 29th 04, 06:41 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:44:16 GMT, "BrandyÂ*Â*Alexandre"
wrote:

Cathy Friedmann wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

"Dennis Carr" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:55:29 +0000, MacCandace wrote:

And an ammonia smell would probably be CRF...although I think
it has to

be
pretty advanced for that to occur. My CRF kitty never had
that.

Actually, considering how hazardous ammonia is, if you smell
that, your cat may already be dead from CRF.

When you take a suspected CRF cat into the vet, that's one of the
first things the vet does - sniffs the cat's breath for the
ammonia odor.

Cathy

Couldn't pay me to deliberately sniff a cat's breath. I get enough
involuntarily as it is.

A healthy cat should not smell bad.