Heat??

Old February 23rd 04, 06:04 AM
Sherry

Default Heat??

Does *anyone* here have an experience with females in heat. You all remember
Biskit. I was waiting till she got built-up and less emaciated before I took
her in to be spayed. A couple of days ago I noticed she was *real* friendly.
Then she started yowling and just doesn't stop. It must be that she is in heat.
I have *no* experience with this.
How long does this last??? She obviously doesn't realize this is a house full
of eunichs. They are so confused.

Sherry
Old February 23rd 04, 06:19 AM
Marina

"Sherry " wrote
Does *anyone* here have an experience with females in heat. You all

remember
Biskit. I was waiting till she got built-up and less emaciated before I

took
her in to be spayed. A couple of days ago I noticed she was *real*

friendly.
Then she started yowling and just doesn't stop. It must be that she is in

heat.
I have *no* experience with this.
How long does this last??? She obviously doesn't realize this is a house

full
of eunichs. They are so confused.

I've experienced females in heat. They yowl and offer up their behinds. Not
a pretty sight. ) Some of them start spraying, as well. It can last
one-two weeks. How is she doing otherwise? Any new pics?

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old February 23rd 04, 07:00 AM
Hopitus2

It's been many years since I've witnessed this, but I remember the respite
doesn't last long. Nature is a powerful force (the #3 basic instinct, right
behind self-preservation & food-seeking) and just as you begin to breathe
easy again, she'll start up again till she gets bred or spayed, one or the
other. Sorry, Sherry. Off to TED.

"Marina" wrote in message
:
: "Sherry " wrote
[...]
: --
: Marina, Frank and Nikki
: Email marina (dot) kurten (at) pp (dot) inet (dot) fi
: Pics at http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/frankiennikki
:

Old February 23rd 04, 11:11 AM

Sherry wrote:

How long does this last???

Heat periods usually last about two weeks. It can be torturous to live
with - you have my sympathies.

But maybe you can just get her spayed now, rather than waiting. I have
a theory, which maybe someone with more knowledge about cat physiology
can comment on. When human females get too thin, they stop menstruating.
Basically, if the body doesn't have enough fat on it, it's not about to
put itself into the position of having to support another life, on top
of the one it's barely supporting now. I wonder if a similar thing could
be true of cats? That is, if a cat is too emaciated, maybe she wouldn't
go into heat? But since your cat is in heat, then perhaps she has put on
sufficient weight to procreate. In which case, I would think she's also
ready to be spayed. Anyone have an opinion on that idea?

She obviously doesn't realize this is a house full
of eunichs. They are so confused.

This reminds me of a cat I lived with many years ago. He was my roommate's
cat, a fixed male. One of my females was in heat and she was rolling all
over the place in front of him, sticking her butt in the air in his face,
and so on. He would start to mount her, and then suddenly stop, like he
couldn't remember what came next. Then he'd get off, sit down, and look up
at either me or my roommate, as though perhaps we could tell him what to
do. He was definitely confused.

Joyce
Old February 23rd 04, 11:55 AM
David Stevenson

Sherry wrote
Does *anyone* here have an experience with females in heat.

Oooooh, yes.

Oh, you mean cats?

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old February 23rd 04, 11:55 AM
David Stevenson

Marina wrote

I've experienced females in heat. They yowl and offer up their behinds. Not
a pretty sight.

Strange, these northern women.

Oh, you mean cats?

Old February 23rd 04, 01:09 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Does *anyone* here have an experience with females in heat. You all remember
Biskit. I was waiting till she got built-up and less emaciated before I took
her in to be spayed. A couple of days ago I noticed she was *real* friendly.
Then she started yowling and just doesn't stop. It must be that she is in
heat.
I have *no* experience with this.
How long does this last??? She obviously doesn't realize this is a house full
of eunichs. They are so confused.

Sherry

Sounds like she's in heat if she's being *very* vocal and *very* friendly. She
*will* seek *any* way out and if she does get out, she *will* come back
pregnant. Expect it to last a week to two weeks and, if she'd not speyed
promptly after, she'll come back into heat again very quickly. Houdini had
*nothing* on an unspeyed female cat in heat trying to get out of a house :-(

Cheers, helen s
to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old February 23rd 04, 01:31 PM
Cheryl

x- no-archive: yes

Sounds like she's in heat if she's being *very* vocal and *very* friendly. She
*will* seek *any* way out and if she does get out, she *will* come back
pregnant. Expect it to last a week to two weeks and, if she'd not speyed
promptly after, she'll come back into heat again very quickly. Houdini had
*nothing* on an unspeyed female cat in heat trying to get out of a house :-(

Helen's right. Mandy went into her first heat a bit earlier than the
average cat - just before her appointment with the vet. No toms were
allowed near her, and she was forcibly prevented from going off looking
for one, but she sure made her feelings on the matter known. I have
heard, like Helen says, that unspayed cats come into heat repeatedly
and frequently if they don't get pregnant, which is difficult for
everyone concerned, including the cat. In Mandy's case, she had her
uneventful spaying right on schedule, just after the in-heat episode.

Cheryl

Old February 23rd 04, 01:49 PM
Sherry

I've experienced females in heat. They yowl and offer up their behinds. Not
a pretty sight. ) Some of them start spraying, as well. It can last
one-two weeks. How is she doing otherwise? Any new pics?

She is doing good! We have had her long enough now that I think her real
personality can be assessed (well except for this heat thing). She is really
sweet and clingy. She'd rather be with humans than the other cats. She still
eats like there's no tomorrow though and hides when she sleeps. I'll get some
new pics asap! Thanks!
Sherry