Food preferences

Old July 1st 05, 05:20 PM
Biskybabe

On 2005-06-30 11:12:15 -0700, "W. Leong" said:

I used an eye dropper to give Rusty pineapple juice. The vet
said fresh squeezed pineapple juice is good for hairball.

This was a myth running around the rabbit community for a very long time.

But pineapple juice doesn't do anything to actually break down hair.
The enzymes in it just don't work on keratin.

In rabbits hairballs tend to be hair mixed with mucous and food, so
there's some speculation that the enzymes break down the gunk holding
the hair together. In cats, based on what I've seen Valeria hack up,
the hairballs are just hair. Pineapple juice isn't going to do anything
for them.

I heard at the Ontario Vet. College they give the cats pineapple juice.
And here I was putting pineapple churnks on coffe filter to get the
jucie for Rusty.

Sorry

Here's one link I could find quickly.

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-d...alk/myths.html
(scroll down to the third comment)

Old July 1st 05, 05:45 PM
W. Leong

On 2005-06-30 11:12:15 -0700, "W. Leong" said:

[...]

O.K. I will save myself the effort and eat the pineapples + juice myself.
How about canned pumpkin? I read in a vet coloumn canned pumpkin is good for
hairball. Rusty loves canned pumpkin.

Winnie

Old July 1st 05, 07:16 PM
Biskybabe

On 2005-07-01 09:45:23 -0700, "W. Leong" said:

Sorry

Here's one link I could find quickly.

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-d...alk/myths.html
(scroll down to the third comment)

O.K. I will save myself the effort and eat the pineapples + juice myself.
How about canned pumpkin? I read in a vet coloumn canned pumpkin is
good for hairball. Rusty loves canned pumpkin.

In bunnies (and I'm sorry I keep referring to bunnies, but that's where
most of my nutrition experience is) canned pumpkin is used as a fiber
source. I suspect it's the same in cats. This helps physically move
stuff through the gut.

I don't see any real harm in it, or in feeding pineapple for that
matter. I don't know how much good it will do, but if it's not painful
to administer (for you or the cat ) then I'd say go for it.

Of course, I have a fairly slap-dash approach to nutrition, and my
background and training is in herbivores. These obligate carnivores are
weird. My former boss' hubby (a brilliant pharmacologist) used to say
cats were from mars. I am positive he was right.

Old July 2nd 05, 01:12 AM
CATherine

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 08:22:01 -0400, "SuzQ"
wrote:

CATherine wrote:

So I got busy cutting some chicken up and finally handed them some
bites. One bite I handed Robin had been lying in a bit of cranberry
juice. He sniffed it and reared back and I swear curled his lip trying
to squinch his nose! What did I do that delicious chicken? I had
ruined it with that nasty cranberry. So I gave it to Sheba. She
swallowed it whole. I don't think she smells or tastes anything. If
its food, she eats it.

LOL! Miranda will eat anything, too. One day I caught her licking some
orange juiice!

Marina
=======================================
Joanne & I were having strawberry shortcake the other day. She let Spicey
lick some Dreamwhip(fake whipped cream) off her finger. Spicey loved it.
Suz&Spicey

Dream whip is good anyway you can get it. I once dropped a daub of it
in my lap and was actually fighting Sheba for it! LOL!

--
CATherine
Old July 2nd 05, 01:15 AM
CATherine

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:02:43 -0400, "W. Leong"
wrote:

"CATherine" wrote in message

A couple years ago an elderly friend of mine had a tomecat that had a
blocked bladder and no money. So I fed him orange juice. He really
liked it and it changed the PH in his bladder and he got unblocked.
Thereafter, she had to feed him orange juice every day. He begged for
it! And he never got blocked again.

--
CATherine

Maybe I should give orange juice instead of pineapple juice.
He has a history of urinary blockages. I heard vitamin is good for
blockages and OJ has lots of vit C in it.

Winnie

If he likes it, go for it. And it helps the immune system.

--
CATherine