Behavior modification; cats and strangers

Old March 18th 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Behavior modification; cats and strangers

: As far as food my preference is dry food for cats.

This caught my eye. Why do you think so? I always heard, including in
these groups, that canned was better.

Moist food is alot water. Also if the cat chews the food
dry food is better for it's teeth.

This is an old wives tale. Google it. dry food is not better for the
teeth. Cats need water, and do not have a high thirst drive. It is better
if it comes in their food. Look up the moisture content of mice and rodents
and birds.. Has a lot more water in it than dry food.

My cats all prefer dry food.

this is because this is what they know and are used to. Cats in general do
not like change.

Some past cats preferred moist food but will not eat moist food out of
the refrigerator. Even if it was heated up in the microwave. So now
i'm glad that all my cats have a preference for dry food.

Dry food is becoming the "McDonalds" of cat food. Research has shown they
have had to put additives and spray on fat to the dry food to get it to be
palatable to the cats. It is often referred to as kitty crack. What sugary
cereals are to kids, dry food is to cats.

Research is also showing that a wide variety of diseases including diabetes
can be either better controlled or completely regulated by removing cats
from dry food and putting them on a low carb canned food. All dry food is
extremely high in carbohydrates - something cats are not designed to eat.

Your cats - and millions of others - may do very well on dry food, but it is
not better for them, and on the whole isn't even that good for them.

Old March 18th 06, 10:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Dr. O'Woodard" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:56:17 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

Dr. O'Woodard wrote:

: As far as food my preference is dry food for cats.

This caught my eye. Why do you think so? I always heard, including in
these groups, that canned was better.

Moist food is alot water.

Canned food generally contains more protein than an equal quality dry food.
The water has noting to do with nutrient content. The most accurate way to
compare dry food to canned food is on a caloric basis. For example, SD
Original Dry contains 7.7 grams of protein per 100 kcals. SD Adult Turkey
contains 8.3 grams. Similarly, on a dry matter basis, SD Adult Dry contains
33.5% protein whereas SD Adult Turkey contains 35.1%. Canned food almost
assures the cat is well hydrated. Even though cats fed dry food drink more
water than cats fed canned food, their total water intake and water turnover
is less. Cats are carnivores and evolved to obtain most of their water from
their prey thus they never developed a strong thirst drive.

Also if the cat chews the food
dry food is better for it's teeth.

That's *if* the cat chews the food- The problem is cats can't chew food in
the sense of mastication- their jaws aren't capable of rotary or horizontal
motion. The cat's jaw and teeth are designed to cut food- The upper and
lower molar and premolars slide accross each other like a pair of shears.
The only dry food that might have some dental benefit are special dental
diets that have large nuggets that the cat's teeth can sink into, and
nuggets that don't shatter when the cat bites into them.

My cats all prefer dry food.

That's because they were probably weaned on dry food. Cats' texture
preferences are very strongly influenced by the type of food they were fed
at a young age.

Some past cats preferred moist food but will not eat moist food out of
the refrigerator. Even if it was heated up in the microwave. So now
i'm glad that all my cats have a preference for dry food.

Do some research on feline nutrition- I think you'll change your mind.

Start he http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Then go he http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html

Old March 19th 06, 05:40 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Ryan Robbins wrote:

"Ajanta" wrote in message
Last year, this cat used to visit me regularly in late afternoon, eat
her favorite canned foods, watch tv, then leave.

During the winter a family emergency forced us to go overseas. We had
an apt-sitter, who I couldn't expect to be like me and who mostly left
dry food out. At least the cat could eat.

Coming back, I find the cat is slowly warming back to me but her habits
have changed.

Do you know whether the cat is homeless? Have you tried to find out who owns
it?

If nobody owns it, keep it indoors. It shouldn't be roaming around anyway.

Ryan, what a surprise, I should have know you would be are a cat
fancier. By the way, I like the messages you post over on the 'Lost'
NG.

Fred Ellis
--
Who do you serve. . . . And who do you trust?
(To e-mail me, remove the X from my address)
Old March 19th 06, 05:55 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:46:56 -0500, "~*Connie*~" wrote:

In order for you to keep it inside you'd have to establish that
it is indeed homeless and that may next to impossible to do.

actually, any cat not confined to an owner's property is technically
classified as a stray

Maybe where you live but not here. (United States).

Old March 19th 06, 04:45 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 08:40:34 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

I will work on a
cat door installed in our apt before next winter. This will give her an
option, and she can ignore it if she has better ones.

I for one will never install a cat door. If a cat/dog can get in
through the door so can a 6-12 year old kid. And around here those
6-12 year old kids whould just as easily kill you if you don't money
or other stuff to steal.

Old March 19th 06, 06:25 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Dr. O'Woodard wrote:

: I for one will never install a cat door. If a cat/dog can get in
: through the door so can a 6-12 year old kid. And around here those
: 6-12 year old kids whould just as easily kill you...

LOL you must live in a bad area with skinny 6-12 yr old kids. I
don't see such dangers here. In the end all life is local, I guess.