Rhett scared me

Old June 24th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Rhett scared me

I've written about the very unstable screens in my windows. (soon
after I bought this house, Shadow landed outside twice because of
pushing the screens out). I bought these adjustable screen things
that fit in between a set of grooves in the window frame, and so
far it's worked out well. They keep the cats from being able to
lay in the window sill when the windows are open, so they can't
push the screens out. They're only about 8" high, though. They have
perches in front of the windows, so they don't need the sill.

The other night after a thunderstorm it got really cool out, so I
opened up the windows. Soon after, I heard the clear sound of claw
on screen, and looked to see Rhett hooked on one of the living room
window screens, but the screen was completely out of the frame. He
was literally holding the screen in place. I think he was attacking
a bug that was on the outside of the screen. I shudder to think of
him getting out (along with whomever would have followed) if I
wasn't in the room. This is a front window, and in front of my
house is the busy road. I found, ordered, and just received
adjustable screens that are 24" tall instead of the 8" and they fit
in front of the existing screen. Though we've been in the 90*s
lately, so it's not likely the windows will even be open any time
soon. This isn't SPAM, just an endorsement for these screens and
the speedy delivery (I chose shared freight, and it still only took
4 days to receive them).

This is what I got:
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/9406372

--
Cheryl
Old June 24th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

That looks good. I had a sunroom added onto my house last year, and I was
concerned about the cats and screens. So, I had large fixed windows
installed all around the sunroom and smaller casement windows at the top of
each large window. That way, I can open windows for fresh air if I want to,
and cats (my own on the inside and neighbor cats on the outside) cannot
reach the screens. Of course, I have to admit that I seldom open the
windows because I like it really cool and use the air conditioner most of
the time (East Texas).

I'm really glad to hear that you reached Rhett in time to avert an "escape."
That could have been a real tragedy.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old June 24th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 24 Jun 2006 02:00:58 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

[...]

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for the link! I have been looking for these for years - we had
one and it got bent. I have used baby gates on my windows (I know, it
looks odd) but it prevents them from falling out!

Mishi
Old June 24th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri 23 Jun 2006 10:18:21p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:Lh1ng.22150$8q.3214@dukeread08):

I'm really glad to hear that you reached Rhett in time to avert
an "escape." That could have been a real tragedy.

I wonder if I could have even caught him out there? He's a skittish
cat, and very fast. I never leave the windows open if I'm not in the
room. Even if I have to take a shower or something and the windows
were open I close them while out of the room. Shadow was different
from my current guys. The first time he escaped through a breached
screen I found him chewing grass several feet away from the window.
The second time was because Marley was attacking him while he was in
the window sill, and just his weight against the screen caused it to
push out. I was in the room when it happened and I think we were
both equally surprised. He didn't move from the ground from the time
he fell out until I ran out to go get him.

--
Cheryl
Old June 24th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri 23 Jun 2006 10:23:12p, Mishi wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for the link! I have been looking for these for years -
we had one and it got bent. I have used baby gates on my windows
(I know, it looks odd) but it prevents them from falling out!

Search their site, Patti, because the ones I bought were cheaper.
That was the first link that came up when I just went to search for
what I bought. The ones I got were max 32" wide and that works for
my windows. I'm so glad someone makes something like that because I
used to think I'd never be able to open my windows. I bought the 8"
high ones because that's all I could find between Lowes and Home
Depot. I'm so glad this stuff is available online when you can't find
it in the store.

--
Cheryl

Old July 1st 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sun 25 Jun 2006 12:56:57p, Christine Burel wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Thanks for posting this, Cheryl -- we have weak screening, too,
and I'm going to bookmark this site.

They seem to be working well so far. I'm not totally trusting them
yet with a kitty that can push around humidifiers and pull air duct
registers out of the floor. Since they're adjustable, they're almost
like a sliding door screen. I've had cats that can figure out how to
open sliding doors. I need to find somehting that won't cause damage
to the window frame, but will secure the adjustable screens to them.
I'm looking into 3M products. I'll let you know if I find something
that'll keep everyone safe.

--
Cheryl
Old July 1st 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sun 25 Jun 2006 12:56:57p, Christine Burel wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Thanks for posting this, Cheryl -- we have weak screening, too,
and I'm going to bookmark this site.

They seem to be working well so far. I'm not totally trusting them
yet with a kitty that can push around humidifiers and pull air duct
registers out of the floor. Since they're adjustable, they're almost
like a sliding door screen. I've had cats that can figure out how to
open sliding doors. I need to find somehting that won't cause damage
to the window frame, but will secure the adjustable screens to them.
I'm looking into 3M products. I'll let you know if I find something
that'll keep everyone safe.

I had completely forgotten that thrill. Our Sam could open the sliding
glass door unless it was locked. The fireplace hearth is right next to the
door and it put him high enough and gave him enough leverage to do the job.

It was a constant battle. We would lock the door when we wanted to be sure
he stayed in. (Right. His name was Dammit Sam - but Houdini would have
fit). Of course as soon as it was locked one of us would want to come
inside through that door and have to either go around the house to get in or
try to get some one to come open it. Probably part of why Charlie managed
to lock himself out of the house while I was on vacation and darn near kill
himself climbing back in through the only unlocked window over the bathtub.

I'm suddenly very grateful that Jake isn't heavy enough to open it. And
wonder how long it will be till Kayla figures it out.

Jo