Food translation?

Old October 22nd 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Food translation?

Marina wrote:

Here's are a couple of pictures of the spread for one of our feasts.
Don't know why this one is on its side. That's dill sticking out of the
crayfish and my BIL sitting at the table.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=31968944&size=m

I'm sorry, but to me, eating crayfish and lobster and the like is
basically eating bugs. Very *big* bugs.

When I was a kid, my parents got something with "lobster sauce" from
a Chinese restaurant. I don't even think there was any real lobster in
it, because it was as inexpensive as all the other ishes were. But as
a kid, I didn't know the difference. All I knew was that lobsters were
those monsters swimming in a tank in the supermarket, and I wanted no
part of it. But I couldn't tell my parents I was *afraid* of my dinner,
so I said I didn't like it, and fortunately, they didn't make me eat it.

Now I just feel sad when I see the lobsters swimming in the tank (not
at supermarkets anymore, but I do see them in restaurants sometimes).
Then I realize how hypocritical I'm being, feeling sorry for lobsters
when I feel fine about eating chicken and beef. But that's a whole
other subject.

Mum and me:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...=photostr eam

You look great! Was that taken recently?

Joyce
Old October 22nd 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

wrote:

Mum and me:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...=photostr eam

You look great! Was that taken recently?

blush Thanks. I think I look terrible in the picture, but decided to
post the link anyway (my sister took the picture). It was taken out on
the island two years ago.

Old October 22nd 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

If you have ever cooked a live lobster you will know why you feel the way
you do. You know, head first into the boiling water. I did it once and
never again. I will eat it, gladly, but someone else has to hear that sound
not me.

Old October 29th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bettina

On 18 Okt., 07:05, "Yowie" wrote:
Having read the Survey thread, there were lots of foods I didn't recognise.
So, people, please describe or explain:

Enfilade - what is a Cottage Roll?

Will in New haven - what is Chicken Murphy?

Granby - well, I've found out recently that biscuits in gravy is not the
same as cookies in gravy and that what you call 'biscuit' I'd probably call
'damper' so whilst 'biscuits in gravy' still sounds very weird to me, its
not as weird as I first thought (what I call a 'biscuit' you'd call a
'cookie'). So, how does one make 'biscuits in gravy'?

Christine K. - could you describe 'creamy mince sauce', please?

Bettina - butter cream cakes sound yummy - you got a recipe?

moonglow minnow - what is an apple crisp?

Matthew (and Sam) - dumb question but what is 'cornbread' as opposed to
regular bread?

Yowie - a bit ignorant of international foodstuffs.

Sorry Yowie, doing rpca via Google means that
sometimes I don`t get to see answering posts.
So this question of yours I found by sheer accident.

Here's a site with a recipe you might have a look on:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butter-...-I/Detail.aspx

And here`s another loved german cake, not butter cream but nonetheless
yummy:

http://www.freiburg-home.com/article...gateau/review/

Here`s my aunt's recipe for butter cream:

3 eggs
250 gr. butter
250 gr. sifted powdered sugar (icing sugar)
whip together eggs and sugar until frothy and mix with butter,
i.e. put in little pieces of butter which was outside the fridge for
some time
(plain butter, no substitutions like margarine or so)

You can vary this ground cream by adding coffee (for Mocca butter
cream cake).
Strawberries, Cocoa or any other taste you like.

There`s a variety of butter cream cake I'd do anything for.
It is called "Zuger Cherry Cake", where "Zug" is a town in
Switzerland.

It is with lots of butter cream and "kirsch brandy",
which adds an slightly alcoholic air to the cake.
Not for children.

Picture he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kochtopf/241444516/
I didn`t find a recipe in english up to now but will search on.

Bettina

Old October 29th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Bettina wrote:
On 18 Okt., 07:05, "Yowie" wrote:
[...]

That looks delicious! I should know better than to read this group when I'm
hungry. ;o)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old October 29th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bettina

http://www.freiburg-home.com/article...lture/Black_Fo...

[...]

Cats leave pawprints on your hearthttp://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Worth every gram on the hips.g

Translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 December 1st 05 05:05 AM
Can our Finnish friends help me with a translation? Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 5 July 15th 05 11:59 AM
Cat Translation Dictionary Richard Miller Cat anecdotes 0 May 12th 05 06:38 PM
Translation - cat to hoomin Shirley Cat anecdotes 2 February 20th 05 08:58 PM
Food translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 0 November 22nd 04 06:26 AM