Won't Stop Fighting

Old October 26th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

Default Won't Stop Fighting

Moe & Rudy, brothers 2 1/2 yrs old, fixed and indoor guys

they were shaved 2 months ago, for 2 - 3 weeks after they were at each
others throat, hissing, arched backs, nails out, ears straight
back..only thing that could separte them was a super soaker...had to
keep in seperate rooms..seperate everything

And now...can be in the same room, tolerate each other at times even
stand next to each other...they no longer groom each other or sleep
together

they race around the apartment at top speed chasing each other...they
have knocked things down, broken a lamp

taking turns climbing on the other and biting the next of the bottom
cat..that's for dominance right?

they have plenty of toys and rotate them, play with every day, they
have climbing toys...one very tall and the other a cube like
thing...they get a lot of affection & love

I'm in an upstairs apart and have very nice elderly lady
downstairs..not to be morbid but if something happened and somebody
else moved in downstairs all it would take is one complaint & I'd have
to get rid of my guys or face eviction...it's in the lease

I don't know what to do with them

I'm at my wits end...can't afford to replace the stuff they break

I've never had any luck with feliway...didn't work on Sam cat (my 15
yr old female who yowled all night, she died 4 yrs ago)

and I tried feliway on Moe & Rudy whem they first got here at 8 months
old, they grew up in the SPCA...didn't how to behave in home

also there are doing things they were trained not to do & did when we
1st got them like; getting in trash (it has a lid on it they knock it
over) getting on the stove & kitchen counters, climbing in the
dishwasher, knocking over the recycle stuff

they have seen a lot of change & I know cats don't like that but there
was no choice in the matter first was the death of my husband..Moe was
closer to Rick and Rudy to me....right after his death & I sobbed so
hard couldn't talk all I had to do was do a c'mere sign w/my hands or
if they wern't in the room they'd come running when they heard me sob

my daughter & 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter temp moved in (was supposed
to be month it was 5 months) Moe loved my granddaughter Rudy hated her
since the two are almost identical she couldn't tell them apart

they've moved out for me it was good thing..like I said many changes
in the people here..I've been the one constant person, they like my
other daughter and my mom...

sorry so long...chronic insomnia here and they wake me every night
they aren't allowed to sleep with me, never have

any suggestions??

Lynn

I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.
~Lewis Carrol

Old October 26th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

ensoul wrote:

Moe & Rudy, brothers 2 1/2 yrs old, fixed and indoor guys

they were shaved 2 months ago, for 2 - 3 weeks after they were at
each others throat, hissing, arched backs, nails out, ears
straight back..

Hopefully you've clipped their claws already, especially the
aggressor.

I guess that's a good indication not to shave them.

Good luck.
Old October 26th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

sorry so long...chronic insomnia here and they wake me every night
they aren't allowed to sleep with me, never have

It sounds like a LOT has happened in your household recently, so it's
no wonder the cats have reacted in this way. Don't blame this on
yourself; sometimes life throws curve balls that you can't control. I
know you said the Feliway didn't work for your previous cat, but I
would give it a try again (use the diffusers) to ease tensions. You
can also buy Rescue Remedy and put a few drops in their water
(www.rescueremedy.com). I use the RR and it does help.

It sounds like you need to play, play, play with them regularly to
remove some of that pent-up energy. Play with them just before you go
to bed to help with the nighttime noise. I would also separate them
when you leave your home. Since you said they aren't fully getting
along, it's safer that way.

As for knocking over things, try and remove as many "tempting" items
as possible. Put the trash can in a cupboard, keep the dishwasher
closed, put the recycleables in the garage. Keep all food off the
counters so there is no temptation.

Good luck. Things will get better,
Rene

Old October 26th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

Hopefully you've clipped their claws already, especially the
aggressor.

I guess that's a good indication not to shave them.

Good luck.

had to shave them. thier fur was so matted had no choice in it...they
hate having thier nails trimmed and I can't do it by myself, I live
alone too

Old October 27th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Oct 26, 1:56 pm, ensoul wrote:
Hopefully you've clipped their claws already, especially the
aggressor.

I guess that's a good indication not to shave them.

Good luck.

had to shave them. thier fur was so matted had no choice in it...they
hate having thier nails trimmed and I can't do it by myself, I live
alone too

They are not just trying to burn off energy, they are trying to burn
off stress, and that requires a different approach than just wearing
them out.

Rescue Remedy is a good choice, and if they like catnip that can have
relaxing qualities.

Have a treat time that will let them focus on something good, and they
must have it together. This will let them associate each other with
good times.

Have you held the cats? Just a nice petting session that will let them
relax can do wonders. Get them aside, one at a time, and try to mellow
them out with gentle petting.

Reassure them with words and special attention. Right now they are
getting plenty of attention, but you are certainly exasperated with
the situation, and your tension is coming through your words and body
language. Now that the household has settled down, some effort to
reach the cats and let them feel safe and secure will help remove the
anxiety, and then the rowdy behavior.

If their activity springs from anxiety, no amount of play will calm
them down. It doesn't address the source.

Old October 27th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Oct 26, 11:26 pm, wrote:
On Oct 26, 1:56 pm, ensoul wrote:

[...]

Um..I'm not an expert or anything but it sounds sorta like the
"teenager syndrom" to me. My cat Stormy who is easily spooked by
nature, started acting violent with my two other cats who are much
older than him. (one is his mother) He would chase, stalk for longer
than nessisarry, and attack them. You could tell it was not the usual
play fighting. He was also gone for long periods of time. His random
behavior from being rather timid to aggressive was shocking. Then I
realized that he hadn't been fixed yet. That was the reason for the
"mood changes" and stuff. But I must say that your case is much more
complex. They have faced extreme changes in environment and such. They
are much confused and feel that they need some order so they fight and
race their irritation off. Fighting each other might also help them
feel a balance of power in dominince. Definitly be calm around them.
Don't yell and feel agitated, they feel it and it adds more fuel to
their fire. Have bonding time with each of them. Make their new
environment seem relaxed. Animals are adapters but sometimes they need
help. Also feed them a fav treat at the same time of day each day so
that they look foward to it. Together of course.