Oh no, disaster. Two more kittens!

Old October 23rd 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Oh no, disaster. Two more kittens!

I set up a nice box outside the front of my house for Scooter to spend
the winter. I've seen his girl, Pretty Girl, go in the box but not
Scooter. Today I looked in the box and saw some black fur at the back.
At first I thought it was Scooter but it was too small. It looked like
someone had put in a little black furry pad. A little later it moved
and appears to be two, or maybe three, black kittens.

Really, just what I didn't want. I had Scooter fixed two weeks ago but
not Pretty Girl. Apparently Scooter had one last fling.

Now what? These kittens aren't newborn, so Mom is bringing them from
somewhere. It's quite possible more will show up.That box is going to
get cramped.

I think I need to get in touch with a TNR group. I can't pay for
fixing all these cats.
Old October 23rd 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote
I think I need to get in touch with a TNR group. I can't pay for
fixing all these cats.

Yes, indeed. You might check around to see if anyone you know wants a little
kitten. They can be weaned at 8 weeks, and they have a chance of being pets,
not ferals this way. We want to adopt sibling babies, but my husband does
not want kittens that look like the cat we lost to cancer last spring--and
she was black. Good luck.

Old October 25th 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk[_2_]

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:26:55 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote
I think I need to get in touch with a TNR group. I can't pay for
fixing all these cats.

Yes, indeed. You might check around to see if anyone you know wants a little
kitten. They can be weaned at 8 weeks, and they have a chance of being pets,
not ferals this way. We want to adopt sibling babies, but my husband does
not want kittens that look like the cat we lost to cancer last spring--and
she was black. Good luck.

The mother is not Pretty Girl, it turns out to be Jet (Jet Black). She
is in the box with the kittens and Scooter is hanging around.
Apparently he knocked up Jet before getting fixed. Since I'm pretty
sure Jet is his daughter, it's clear that Scooter just has no shame.

The kittens are doing fine. Mom freaks every time we hang out on the
steps but she is getting used to it. Especially since she often gets
food out of the deal. I'm going to try to handle the kittens soon so
they get a feel for humans.
Old October 25th 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

dgk wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:26:55 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote
[...]

Sending best wishes and purrs for Jet and her babes. It is so much fun
to watch the development of baby cats. MLB
Old October 25th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

On 24 Oct, 20:40, dgk wrote:
Since I'm pretty
sure Jet is his daughter, it's clear that Scooter just has no shame.

Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago I was telling a
friend that a mutual friend had just had her 2 cats fixed and this
apparently intelligent guy said "Aren't Jenny's kittens a bit young"

And I said "5 months but Fred's been mounting Wilma"

And he looked at me and with total shocked horror said "But they're
BROTHER and SISTER!!!"

We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old October 25th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dragoman

Lesley wrote:

Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago I was telling a
friend that a mutual friend had just had her 2 cats fixed and this
apparently intelligent guy said "Aren't Jenny's kittens a bit young"

And I said "5 months but Fred's been mounting Wilma"

And he looked at me and with total shocked horror said "But they're
BROTHER and SISTER!!!"

We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo

Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
different topic.)

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

That's the spirit!
Old October 26th 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Dragoman wrote:
Lesley wrote:

Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago I was telling a
friend that a mutual friend had just had her 2 cats fixed and this
apparently intelligent guy said "Aren't Jenny's kittens a bit young"

And I said "5 months but Fred's been mounting Wilma"

And he looked at me and with total shocked horror said "But they're
BROTHER and SISTER!!!"

We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo

Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
different topic.)

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

That's the spirit!

No taboos? Do you prefer a double dose of bad genes?
MLB
Old October 26th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dragoman

MLB wrote:
Dragoman wrote:
Lesley wrote:

We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo

Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
different topic.)

No taboos? Do you prefer a double dose of bad genes?

Are we talking people or cats here?
I was mostly objecting to the fact that taboos, by definition, are
social constructs, and cats can't have taboos, also by the same
definition. They can have instincts, and incest avoidance is not one of
them, because they don't need it, being most likely offspring of
different fathers. Humans, however, need it, as you aptly observe, and
we humans have it - the Westermark effect. So, we don't need taboos -
instincts can take very good care of things, thankyouverymuch.
Old October 26th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"MLB" wrote in message
Dragoman wrote:
Lesley wrote:

Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago I was telling a
friend that a mutual friend had just had her 2 cats fixed and this
apparently intelligent guy said "Aren't Jenny's kittens a bit young"

And I said "5 months but Fred's been mounting Wilma"

And he looked at me and with total shocked horror said "But they're
BROTHER and SISTER!!!"

We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo

Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
different topic.)

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

That's the spirit!

No taboos? Do you prefer a double dose of bad genes?

Why not. He appears to be the result of one.

Old October 26th 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

cybercat wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message
Dragoman wrote:
Lesley wrote:
Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago I was telling a
friend that a mutual friend had just had her 2 cats fixed and this
apparently intelligent guy said "Aren't Jenny's kittens a bit young"

And I said "5 months but Fred's been mounting Wilma"

And he looked at me and with total shocked horror said "But they're
BROTHER and SISTER!!!"

We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo
Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
different topic.)

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
That's the spirit!

No taboos? Do you prefer a double dose of bad genes?

Why not. He appears to be the result of one.

That is what I meant! MLB

3 am disaster kittyscastle Cat anecdotes 2 August 7th 07 06:56 PM
Disaster! ken Cat health & behaviour 5 August 18th 05 05:46 AM
Sub-q Disaster Cheryl Cat health & behaviour 2 February 8th 05 02:09 AM
ignorant person, stray cat, plus kittens equals disaster [email protected] Cat anecdotes 22 May 21st 04 10:36 PM
Fur Disaster (BW?) dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 20 January 30th 04 01:46 AM