Emergency - Bottle feeding problem!

Old July 15th 03, 03:34 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Judy at
wrote on 7/14/03 8:10 PM:

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message

"*~*SooZy*~*" wrote in message

"Sherry " wrote in message
My friend has 2 one day old kittens and their mom has no milk. She

bought
Just Born milk replacement and the one baby sucks it right down.. but

the
other one refuses the bottle. I tried to at least just get a drop or

2
on
her tongue..but she still fights me. Any ideas on how to get her to
accept
the bottle?

Mary

Mary, try a small syringe with the needle taken off. You're going to

have
force-feed her somehow or she'll die quickly. Good luck. Poor babies.

Sherry

but be careful to only do a drip at a time otherwise you will drown it
:-( but
keep trying with the bottle, try rubbing the bottle on the mum to get

the
smell which may help.

Don't hold her like a baby, either. Hold her upright. Feeding on the back
can get liquid in the lungs and cause pneumonia.

Just curious Karen, how does the aspiration of liquids result in pneumonia
in cats? I did some searching on the topic and found only that pneumonia is
brought on by inhaling harmful bacterias and viruses. Would you be able to
point me to some sites? I'd love to find out more.

Feeding on the back definitely isn't a good idea as aspiration can result in
death.

Judy & Matilda.

Judy, I don't know the particulars, I simply believe I've read that
somewhere. I abjectly apologize if I've gotten that wrong, however, I do
know that they should be in the upright position. That is the important
aspect to note.

Karen

Old July 15th 03, 05:50 AM
Mary

Well, with all the suggestions, we finally did get 1/2 of what she needs to
eat into her. I guess this is better than nothing. Tomorrow if we can only
succeed in getting that little bit in then I will suggest taking the little
one to the vet. Her "brother" (we have no idea the sex of the kittens) is
eating heartily! :-)

Thanks!

Mary

Old July 15th 03, 03:38 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"*~*SooZy*~*" wrote in message

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

you are correct Karen.... same as humans you should always sit sick/elderly
people up to give them a drink! as the fluid/food can get into the lungs
causing pneumonia.

Old July 15th 03, 03:38 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"*~*SooZy*~*" wrote in message

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

OT--Unbelieveable solution to car problem Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 14 December 14th 04 01:38 AM
feeding 2 spoiled cats LynC Cat anecdotes 21 February 28th 04 08:42 PM
Feeding time! Lois Reay Cat anecdotes 4 October 15th 03 12:09 AM
Hairball problem? Kris Cat health & behaviour 28 July 6th 03 10:06 PM