[OT] Supper Tonight

Old March 13th 05, 02:25 AM
Enfilade

Yep, and Creole too just to make it more confusing! Actually Acadian
is used in Canada and Cajun is in Louisiana (and coon-ass is a
derogatory slang for Cajun). The word Cajun comes from the word
Acadian (kind of like "Injun" comes from "Indian").

CatNipped

Snipped excellent history lesson! My ex-fiance, Ray, has his family on his
father's side traced back to the Acadians from Nova Scotia so although he
says he's Cajun he really is Acadian.

DP is Acadian. When the British raided his area of PEI, his family hid
in the forest, so they were never deported.

When I think of "Cajun" food, I think of gumbo, okra, and shrimp. And
lots of hot spices.

When I think of "Acadian" food, I think of meatpie, lobsters, and
boiled dinner.

--Fil
Old March 13th 05, 08:46 AM
jmcquown

"Enfilade" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Oh, he cooked all kinds of stuff including highly spiced gumbo with okra and
lots of hot spices. And also meat pies (fried) and mudbugs. No boiled
dinners - that's strictly "you didn't grow up in Louisiana" Acadian

Jill

Old March 13th 05, 06:21 PM
SuzQ

I'm not wild about bell pepper or celery either; I mince it very, very
fine
so it disintigrates! In fact, I don't care for onion, either and it gets
the finely minced treatment as well. For me, it's not the taste of these
things, it's the texture. I can't stand biting into the crunch of a hunk
of
onion... it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Jill
=======================================

My sister used to put onions in the blender and liquify them. She got the
flavor without the texture.
Suz

Old March 14th 05, 06:31 AM
wafflycat

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[The sugar is to take
the gas-producing out of the beans.]

PAH! That's taking the fun out of food! Shame on you!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

Old March 14th 05, 07:18 AM
jmcquown

SuzQ wrote:
I'm not wild about bell pepper or celery either; I mince it very, very
fine
so it disintigrates! In fact, I don't care for onion, either and it
gets the finely minced treatment as well. For me, it's not the taste
of these things, it's the texture. I can't stand biting into the
crunch of a hunk of
onion... it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Jill
=======================================

My sister used to put onions in the blender and liquify them. She got
the flavor without the texture.
Suz

I've been known to buy onion juice rather than use raw onions. It works.

Jill

Old March 16th 05, 02:20 PM
Marina

Victor Martinez wrote:

That's silly. My gumbo and ettoufee taste better the next day!

What's ettoufee?

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old March 16th 05, 02:22 PM
Marina

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Does it really, or is that just another urban legend? (My mom used a
teaspoonful of baking soda for the same purpose, but I'm not sure it was
actually effective.) There is native American herb (grows in the
American Southwest, IIRC) that is supposed to really work, but I can't
remember the name of it.

I've read that thyme works, but I also soak all beans for hours and then
cook them a couple of hours, so that may take away the gassy effect.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old March 16th 05, 02:38 PM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
What's ettoufee?

CRAWFISH ETOUFFEE (Emeril Lagasse)

6 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 1/2 cups fish or shrimp stock
1 cup peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Hot pepper sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 pounds crawfish tails, with the fat
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Cooked white rice, for serving

In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and whisk
in flour to combine well. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until
roux is a peanut butter color.

Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme and cook
until vegetables are soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes,
salt, red pepper, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.

Skim surface, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 30
minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add crawfish tails and fat, lemon juice, green onions, and parsley and
cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter
and stir to combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve
over hot rice.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

[OT] Yowlet Update Yowie Cat anecdotes 7 December 13th 04 12:25 AM
An Early Christmas Story [OT] CatNipped Cat anecdotes 3 December 7th 04 06:18 PM
Want to show off tonight! Completely OT. Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 116 August 28th 04 08:54 PM
Shamrock is evil tonight Cheryl Cat anecdotes 14 April 28th 04 11:45 PM