Pearl update

Old November 1st 05, 04:38 AM
Karen

Default Pearl update

She got her blood tested today one week after being off pred and her
sugar level dropped to 194 (from over 300 a week ago). So I'm very
relieved that it looks like this blood sugar thing may be transient.
SHe gets it tested again in a month. I got my Aerokat today. I tried
some "friendly games" with her with it, including food on the mask that
she licked off. I decided to try a puff because she coughed a bit this
a.m. and I really would like to get her on it as soon as possible. It
didn't go awful. Maybe 3 breaths (I hope. Can cats hold their breath?
She certainly ate the turkey fast enough afterward that I don't believe
she is traumatized or anything.) It'll get better. I'll keep trying to
associate food things with it since she is utterly food oriented. I
hope it makes her feel better eventually (although she has been MUCH
better this week since she is off prednisone).

Old November 1st 05, 07:05 AM
Jeanette

Karen wrote in message
[...]

All good news, and I'm particularly impressed by the way you're training her
with the inhaler.

Jeanette

Old November 1st 05, 01:26 PM
Wayne Mitchell

Karen wrote:

[...]

Yay, Pearl! That's good news on the blood glucose numbers.
Hope she can keep on bringing them down. Asthma is enough to
deal with; you don't need diabetes too.

Cats can hold their breath just a little, but not very much. If
you can get her up to ten seconds, IME that will be sufficient.
I always aim for 12, feel good about 10, and sometimes have to
accept 8. Will just doesn't believe those extra seconds are
really necessary -- sort of a "some damn fools might have kept
their noses in that stinky mask another two seconds" attitude.

Even after she's getting a good dose of the Flovent, it takes a
few days to build up the therapeutic effect. If you have some
Albuterol, that gives much quicker relief of symptoms.

--

Wayne M
(indulged by Will and Heidi)
Old November 1st 05, 02:35 PM

I'm so relieved to hear Pearl is doing better. And the Aerokat seems to
be going really well.
Lots of purrs and best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old November 1st 05, 02:41 PM

Karen wrote:
[...]

That all sounds real positive, Karen. I'm so glad. It's a plus that
Pearl is food-oriented. I think you're on the right track with it. Hope
*you* feel better about it and are less worried now that *Pearl* feels
better.

Sherry

Old November 1st 05, 02:44 PM
Susan M

The drop in blood sugar must be such a relief! That's great news.

Purrs on the way for continued happy associations with the aerokat!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old November 1st 05, 03:03 PM
Karen

"Jeanette" wrote in message
news

Karen wrote in message
[...]

I've decided today I will let it marinate in catnip to help get rid of the
"plasticky" smell. She was a bit offended last night, but even *I* can smell
plastic, so it is probably offensive to her!

Old November 1st 05, 03:32 PM
Karen

"Susan M" wrote in message
The drop in blood sugar must be such a relief! That's great news.

It was HUGE. I just hope we see it drop even lower. I was really getting
worried about that whole scenario.

Old November 1st 05, 04:52 PM
Adrian

Karen wrote:
"Susan M" wrote in message
The drop in blood sugar must be such a relief! That's great news.

It was HUGE. I just hope we see it drop even lower. I was really
getting worried about that whole scenario.

Continuing purrs for Pearl.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 1st 05, 06:37 PM

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:38:20 -0600, Karen wrote:

[...]

I'm glad to hear this, Karen. And keep trying the Aerokat -- sounds
like you're on the right track with it, and it should help her a lot.

Best of luck!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)

[OT] Wilma Update 20A Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 0 October 20th 05 03:07 PM
UPDATE on Pearl Karen Cat anecdotes 10 June 16th 05 10:34 PM
Off in the morning...Pearl sneezing again Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 2 December 23rd 04 05:51 PM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 11:01 AM
Pearl update Karen Cat anecdotes 7 December 3rd 03 06:07 AM