[OT] Sydney Race Riots: Purr request

Old December 12th 05, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Sydney Race Riots: Purr request

On 2005-12-12, Yowie penned:
Can people please purr pray or send good thoughts to Sydney,
Australia.

We're in the middle of race riots.

I am appalled and disgusted, I am saddened and dissapointed. Mosly I
just feel sick.

Australia, the Australia I knew, the Australia I emigrated to when i
was 4, the Australia I grew up with, wasn't like this. We were all
mates, we celebrated our divirse backgrounds, enjoyed the
differences, welcomed the cutural cross pollenation. My best friend
at school was Slovenian, the boy I had a mad crush on Turkish.
Joel's best mate (and Cary's godfather) is Italian, my best friend
Chinese. And of course, we're all Australian too.

There's a mob waiting outside a Mosque, looking for trouble at the
moment, its coming across live, on the news.

Can the cats, who are far more sensible than hoomins when it comes
to these sorts of things, purr for some peace, tolerance and
understanding?

Yowie, puking.

Purrs incoming.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old December 12th 05, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:39:19 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

[...]

I'm so sorry such a thing is happening there, Yowie. It's happened
for years in the US, but I figured it was pretty much us. So sad to
hear about it happening in Australian.

May some good sense and peace come to those involved.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old December 12th 05, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

[...]

Among all the animals, only Man can be goaded into violence
over ideas! The others may fight (but seldom to the death)
for food or territory or mates, but never over something so
unknowable (and IMO insignificant) as the "true" nature of
God or the "right" way of worshipping him/her/it! (And
despite far more visible differences than among human
"races", other species don't seem to discriminate among
their own - you may not have many dachshund/Great Dane
crosses, but that's a matter of logistics, not prejudice.)

Old December 12th 05, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs and prayers that everything and everyone calms down soon.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old December 12th 05, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:

Yowie wrote:

Can people please purr pray or send good thoughts to Sydney, Australia.

We're in the middle of race riots.

I am appalled and disgusted, I am saddened and dissapointed. Mosly I
just feel sick.

Yowie, I was astonished at this news on TV. I've always thought of
Australia as the true melting pot. Where did these eejits come from?
Lots of purrs on their way for everyone to take a step back and take a
good look at themselves and what they're doing.

Religious fanaticism has always presented fertile soil for
violence (even though the people sparking it have their own
agenda, which may have little to do with "god"). If
Christianity had had access to modern technology during the
Crusades, the world might now have a different "dominant
species" (mankind having eliminated itself). Mob violence
was frightening enough when the worst available weapons were
guns - the idea of fanatics (of ANY stripe) having access to
the hell of modern weaponry gives me nightmares!

Old December 12th 05, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs on the way.
Ann

see pictures of Sam at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos

Old December 13th 05, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs are on their way. Even though I've never lived in Australia and never
will, I love it too, and it also makes me sad, and all the other emotions
you expressed.

(((((((((((Yowie)))))))))))

Joy

Old December 13th 05, 07:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

Can people please purr pray or send good thoughts to Sydney,
Australia. We're in the middle of race riots.

Yowie - purrs to you and everyone around you. Please stay safe.
Riots take on a life of their own, kind of like a fire, and it's
extremely hard to predict or control them.

What are the issues involved, if I may ask? When people rioted in
LA after the Rodney King verdict, I actually sympathized with them.
But I don't know who is rioting in Sydney, nor why, so I have no
opinion about it other than that I hope nobody gets hurt - or that
no *more* people get hurt if some already have.

Purrs from peaceful Oakland, California.

Joyce
Old December 13th 05, 08:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

Probably not morons. Those that start them have an agenda. Those
involved are often bystanders who are swept away by what is happening.
Getting swept up in rioting behavior can happen to almost anyone who is
exposed to it.

Jo

Indeed they will undoubtedly have an agenda. Still makes them morons in my
book, though ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old December 13th 05, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

Can people please purr pray or send good thoughts to Sydney,
Australia. We're in the middle of race riots.

Yowie - purrs to you and everyone around you. Please stay safe.
Riots take on a life of their own, kind of like a fire, and it's
extremely hard to predict or control them.

What are the issues involved, if I may ask? When people rioted in
LA after the Rodney King verdict, I actually sympathized with them.
But I don't know who is rioting in Sydney, nor why, so I have no
opinion about it other than that I hope nobody gets hurt - or that
no *more* people get hurt if some already have.

After 9/11 racial and/or religious tension between those of Muslim Arab
extract and "Anglo" Australians (those with primarily British & Irish
ancestry) increased. Women wearing the hijab being obvious targets, as they
are *obviously* Muslim. Its been seething along since 9/11, but we've had
our own bombings in Bali (twice) which were allegedly committed by Muslim
extremists which have not helped, and the whole Iraqi war thing just keeps
the whole Muslim Arab = terrorist in everyone's mind.

There are also enclaves of various nationalities in different suburbs in
Sydney. Lakemba, for example, is very much dominated by Muslim Lebanese
Australians. other areas are dominated by Vietnamese immigrants, or Croation
immigrants for example. My old suburb of Fairy Meadow (although a suburb of
Wollongong, not Sydney) had a high number of Italians and had lots of
Italian based shops, clubs, events etc

Gangs form in poor areas. Not coincidentally, this tends to be where
immigrants end up. When gangs form from various suburbs, they tend to
refelect the racial diversity of the area they came from. Thus, a gang from
Lakemba is likely to be Lebanese, from Cabramatta Vietnamese and from
Cronulla (where the violence took place) "Anglo", and the identify
themselves with these ethnicities as well as from the suburbs they came
from.

Various clashes have occured before, but its been fairly minor until now.

From what I understand, two lifeguards on Cronulla beach were bashed by a
gang from Lakemba after alleged racial slurs (who started it is anyone's
guess). In retaliation, some Arab Muslim people were bashed by an Anglo
gang. Then the Lakemba gang went into Cronulla to seek further retribution
and clashed with the Cronulla Anglo gang, and then the riots happened.
Neither side is willing to back down as it would be an affront to their
nationality, their gang and their male pride, so they have to keep
escalating to teach the other side a "lesson". And since the racial/relgious
tension has been seething since 2001, it just has sort of boiled over.

I am an immigrant. And English one, yes, but an immigrant. My freinds are
immigrants. Anyone who isn't Aboriginal in this land is either an immigrant
or the descendant of one. Neither side of this clash is without blame, as
the gangs of 'Ethnic' Australians are just as racist as the gangs of 'Anglo'
Australians, but it saddens me deeply that this sort of thing has happened
in my country.

I wish that people of all colours, races, religions, orientations etc etc
would figure out that every single drop of bood that is spilled, no matter
who the person, is always the same colour.

Yowie

[OT] Another purr request, I'm afraid Yowie Cat anecdotes 32 May 27th 05 11:33 AM
Purr Request [OT] CatNipped Cat anecdotes 35 February 27th 05 03:51 PM
Purrs on the way for Frank's surgery Sam Nash Cat anecdotes 36 October 28th 04 10:36 PM
Human Purr Request Az Cat anecdotes 19 December 15th 03 06:28 AM
A purr request from Kate Marina Cat anecdotes 22 October 9th 03 09:38 PM