Kitten with terrible odor

Old November 29th 09, 05:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Kitten with terrible odor

Hi all, I am copying a post that I just made on the health+behav
group, just for the sake of speed and to
keep from crossposting. I wanted to get some feedback from you all
too, I'm very curious about this
and would like to know if anyone else has ever dealt with such a
smelly cat. Thanks.

(copied post)
First, please don't tell me to "see a vet'', because I'm going to as
soon as it can be scheduled on Monday. I'm basically just asking
whether anyone else has had a cat with this problem.

History: She strayed up here probably 5 or 6 weeks ago. She's around
six months old. She was thin, but no
apparent health issues, no goopy eyes, etc. I got her spayed and got
her shots and have intended to find her a home, but you all know how
that goes. Not easy, because she *hates* the outdoors and must be
homed as an indoor cat.

She's very playful. She eats well. Her coat looks good. Her little
sides have filled out nicely. But, she has this *horrible* odor. Most
of it is coming
from her mouth. Her teeth look great, to me; and IMO she's a little
young to have tooth decay anyway.

The odor really smells like what I would think necrotic tissue smells
like. Now I'm worried she's infected with
FIP or something equally awful, and her chest cavity is full of
necrotic fluid. I can really think up some
awful diagnoses when I set my mind to it.

On the other hand, I'm hopeful the smell is the result of a poor diet
and starvation before I got her. But I suspect,
really, that good food and good care would have taken care of that in
6 weeks time already. I'm also assuming
the ELISA test for FeLV was negative, since she was vaccinated for
it,
but I didn't think to ask. I just dropped her
off for the vetting and picked her back up. This ain't my first stray
cat.

So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat
that
smelled really bad?

Thanks
Sherry

Old November 29th 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Sherry wrote:
[...]

Princess (Siamese RB 16) developed very bad breath almost overnight. When it

didn't improve, I took her to TED. He found two teeth had gum line
decay. I had never been able to see the decay. Her teeth looked good
to me but stained a little. When the teeth were removed, she became her
old sweet self.

I also remember when I was ten we took in a stray who had bad breath --
I remember my mother said it was from eating mice.
That was long ago when we didn't take cats to Vets. Best wishes. MLB

Old November 29th 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:
snip

So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat
that
smelled really bad?

I don't have personal experience with this, but I have read that cats
with kidney problems can have a strong odour coming from their mouths.
It seems unlikely in such a young cat, though, unless her diet was
really, really bad before she found you. Purrs that it can be sorted out
and she can become a beloved pet, whether with you or someone else.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old November 29th 09, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 28, 11:37*pm, MLB wrote:
Sherry wrote:
[...]

That was long ago when we didn't take cats to Vets. *Best wishes. * MLB- Hide quoted text -

You know, that's the first thing I thought about too. That's why I
looked at her teeth. They're shiny
white sharp little kitten teeth, you know what they look like when the
adult teeth first come in.
And I remember what Yoda's mouth smelled like when his teeth got bad.
This is a different smell.
It's not just bad breath. It's a rotten smell. (I am sorry to be so
graphic). The odor kind of
radiates around her; when she first would jump in my lap I thought it
was gas. But it's there
all the time, and so very much more raunchy when she yawns or
something.
I really feel bad that I didn't notice it that much. I haven't really
let her out of the bedroom too much
yet, although I do go in there and play with her when I can.
Thanks a bunch,MLB.

Sherry
Old November 29th 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Sherry" wrote
| have you ever had a cat that smelled really bad?

Coco has "bad breath" and her poop is consistently vile regardless what she
eats. You almost have to stick your nose in her mouth to smell the bad
breath, but the poop odor seems to ooze out from under the litter it's
covered with and is so bad that I always rush to the box after she poops to
flush it away. In spite of these issues, she doesn't appear to be ill in any
way (and I'm pretty sure I can detect abnormalities in a cat even if I don't
know their precise nature).

Old November 29th 09, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 29, 12:15*am, "Pat" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote
| have you ever had a cat that smelled really bad?

Coco has "bad breath" and her poop is consistently vile regardless what she
eats. You almost have to stick your nose in her mouth to smell the bad
breath, but the poop odor seems to ooze out from under the litter it's
covered with and is so bad that I always rush to the box after she poops to
flush it away. In spite of these issues, she doesn't appear to be ill in any
way (and I'm pretty sure I can detect abnormalities in a cat even if I don't
know their precise nature).

Same here with the litterbox. That part didn't disturb me too much,
because Boots
was the same way right after we got her from the shelter. It took a
while, but that
problem corrected itself.
Only, with the bad breath, you don't have to get close to her. She can
be in your lap, and
sneeze or yawn and o my gosh, it is vile.

Sherr
Old November 29th 09, 09:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Sherry" wrote in message

[...]

Glad you are going to the vet about it.

I can think of a few things that makes breath bad, mostly related to teeth.
However, if she's in otherwise good health and eathing & pooping normally,
then bad breath isn't an emergency and the visit on monday should be able to
clear things up.

Hope it goes well.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old November 29th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

I would never tell you to take a cat to the vet. I know you know better from
all those years on the other side. ;-) All kidding aside I see you got a
vet visit already scheduled. Definitely a full blood panel and oral exam

Sherry I see cyber in the other group and the others here in this group
said about the mouth.
From what I remember it could be an infection. Gum or teeth problems.
Mouth odor means problems big time
I also remember a bad body odor means Kidney problems

She is not sneezing a lot is she???

Old November 29th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

From what I remember it could be an infection. Gum or teeth problems.
Mouth odor means problems big time
I also remember a bad body odor means Kidney problems

She is not sneezing a lot is she???

Sherry I got this from a blog site for cat problems maybe it could help

Cats - my cat smells like bacteria
Expert: Savannah - 4/7/2009

Question
I have a 1 1/2 year old Abyssinian named symba who is the best cat ever.
Lately he's been letting off this odor that smells so strong that you have
to leave the room. I don't really know how to describe it other than how my
husband did which is, if you were to rub on an earring in your ear and then
smell your fingers, it smells like that, kinda bacteria smelling. But so
strong. He doesn't do it a lot, just random times, he'll come jump on your
lap and it will start to smell or he'll just walk by. The odor lasts for
about 20 minutes afterwards. He acts perfectly healthy and was fixed when I
adopted him at 4 months old so I guess my question would be, what would be
causing this odor and should I worry? It started about 2-3 months ago and
has happened about 10 times give or take. I just don't wan tto take hime to
the vet and spend a fortune for them to tell me nothing's wrong. But he's
driving me and my husband out of our house, literally unril it airs out.
Any help would be so appreciated...thanks

Answer
Melissa,

I honestly don't know what the odor could be, but I will tell you
this......bring him to the vet!!! Any cat that emits an odor that foul
smelling has something wrong with it. It's not normal in any cat, as cats
are fastidious creatures, and keep themselves very clean.

Have you noticed any wounds? Any discharge coming from anywhere, or any
drainage from somewhere? Have you checked to see if the odor is coming from
his mouth (oral infection, such as a tooth infection, or gingivitis)? Does
he have stool on his rectum? Have you noticed that he has had problem with
pooping, such as straining, or else having some liquid or soft stools, but
only occasionally? Or have you found any pieces of stool outside his
litterbox? Have you noticed him scratching incessantly or biting?

These are all things that come to mind, and there is a very specific reason
behind each question. If you notice discharge or drainage from
anywhere---eyes, rectum, urethra, sores, mouth, etc---that indicates an
infection. An untreated infection can be very foul smelling---VERY!!
Certain bacteria can give off horrible odors, but just an untreated
infection can stink too!

Often, cats that are fed kibble and canned have mouth problems, such as
rotten teeth, an infected tooth, or gingivitis. Kibble and canned don't
provide any teeth cleaning ability, and since cats don't brush their teeth,
their teeth can rot--especially if he doesn't get regular teeth cleaning
(although he is rather young to have teeth cleaning yet). But if there's
any oral problem, that odor can be very foul smelling--especially so because
the mouth already has tons of bacteria in it, and when you add more
bacteria, it just makes things even worse. I'd check his mouth (if he'll
let you) and see if you notice any tartar on teeth, any badly discolored
teeth, rotting teeth, or teeth that are lose (you will have to put your hand
in his mouth and push against the teeth and try to move them). If he lets
you do this, and you push or move a tooth and he freaks out, then you may
have found the culprit. Which of course means a visit to the vet, too.

If you've noticed any problems with him having stool on his butt or fur in
that area, or having occasional liquid or soft stools, or notice very small
pieces of stool outside the litterbox, you could have a cat with anal sac
problems. These sacs emit the most noxious, foul smelling odor I've ever
smelled in a cat! My own cat has anal sac problems, and the odor just makes
me want to pass out. I have to do mouth breathing because I can't tolerate
the odor if I were to nose breathe! A cat normally empties these sacs when
they have a BM. But if a cat has problems with these sacs, they usually
cannot empty them for whatever reason, and will have occasional soft, jello
like stools, and because they will try to empty these sacs when they get
full, you may find poop outside the litterbox, or wherever they happen to be
when they try to empty those sacs. And the poop that comes form the anal
sacs is liquidy, jello like in consistency, and usually in much smaller amts
than a regular BM. Oh... and did I say it stinks???!!! And if a cat does
have problems with its anal sacs, it may empty them on you or around you
when it's stressed or surprised. So, it could be that your cat may have
problems with these sacs, and it's releasing the sacs either in his
litterbox or elsewhere, and that is the smell you smell. Have you noticed
that when you do smell that smell, he's recently been in the litterbox? You
may want to see if there's any correlation.

Also, have you checked your cat for parasites/fleas/ticks/mange on its body?
Granted fleas/ticks/other parasites won't have an odor alone, but if it's a
severe infestation, I imagine they certainly could as the cat's body tries
to fight them off. Also, I don't know much about mange, but it's a nasty
diseaase, and can get to be very bad. I don't know if it smells without
doing research, but I do know that if left untreated, it causes open, oozing
sores on the animal's body, which can smell because of the infection. I
would thoroughly run your hands over your cat and see if you feel or see any
sores, or notice anything new that maybe wasn't on there last time you
checked. This is also a good habit to get into doing. Once a month, you
want to hold your cat and run your hands over its entire body, giving him a
massage and some love, but what you're really doing is looking for anything
new on his skin, which can lead to nasty problems.

The above suggestions are the first things that come to mind, and the most
obvious. I think it's appropriate to bring your cat to the vet because like
I said, any foul odor emanating from a cat is not normal, and needs to be
checked out. He could have an internal infection that is so severe, it's
now starting to come through his skin, in which case it's pretty severe.

I'd say take him to the vet--the sooner the better--and find out what's
causing this. It's something not good, because cats just don't walk around
with a foul odor emanating from them. Something is going on, and he needs
to be treated, and will need a vet to figure this one unless it becomes
crystal clear what it is.

Good luck, and let me know what it turns out to be!

Savannah

Old November 29th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I have, and there was always something wrong with them. Usually
an infection or abscess of some sort that I hadn't been able to see
and identify.

A lot of dogs and some cats will have dental problems from the
process of losing their milk teeth and cutting their adult teeth.

Ear problems will also stink and can be deep and hard to identify.

But I'm sure the vet will figure it out and fix the problem.

Jo