My cat has a drinking problem...

Old February 20th 04, 06:28 PM
George Thomas

Default My cat has a drinking problem...

Hello, all. I'm new to this group and I need some insight about my cat.

She is _strictly_ an indoor cat, always has been. She has lived with me
since she was about sixteen weeks old, and she gets annual checkup, etc.
No medical problems I know of, and her temperament is as she usually
is..She will be six years old sometime in May. She is the only cat in
the house and there are no other type of pets involved.

She's always had a quirk in that she _prefers_ to drink from the faucet
in the lavatory sink which means I have to turn it on (slightly) for
her. She will not drink from the water bowl next to her food bowl even
though I keep it clean and fresh. I thought I had successfully weaned
her from the faucet habit by placing a water bowl next to the faucet,
and she has been drinking from that for some time now, perhaps two
years.

About two weeks ago, she quit drinking from this bowl, instead dragging
it to the sink edge, spilling a good deal of the water on the lavatory
top. I know that when she is thirsty this bowl is the first place she
goes, but she's not drinking from it and that has me greatly concerned.

One thing that I did concerning this particular area recently was change
the Glade plugin located about eight inches above the water bowl to a
different scent. Is it possible that the new scent was bothering her? I
thought that might be the case so I removed it after a few days but she
still is acting strangely toward that bowl.

Perhaps there is something on the bowl that's causing this problem. The
bowl is ceramic and I wash it with dish soap. Should I dump the old bowl
and buy her a new one?

My cat is trying to tell me something, but what? Does anyone have a
clue? Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George Thomas

Old February 20th 04, 08:23 PM
Karen

I'd say it could easily be the change in smell. Cats have a huge amount of
smell receptors and changes in smell throw them for a big loop!

Karen

Old February 20th 04, 09:59 PM
Wendy

[...]

I'm wondering if the air freshener isn't leaving a residue on the water
being it's so close. I know my feliway diffuser leaves an oily residue on
anything too close to it. I'm wondering if the air fresheners aren't using
some kind of oil as well.

If kitty likes running water you might want to try a kitty fountain like
someone else suggested.

Old February 21st 04, 12:19 AM
George Thomas

Wendy wrote:

I'm wondering if the air freshener isn't leaving a residue on the water
being it's so close. I know my feliway diffuser leaves an oily residue on
anything too close to it. I'm wondering if the air fresheners aren't using
some kind of oil as well.

If kitty likes running water you might want to try a kitty fountain like
someone else suggested.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I decided this afternoon to try getting her a new bowl first, so it is now in
place. I hope she likes it well enough to drink from it.

If she doesn't, the next step may be to try the kitty drinking fountain. I
think the running water idea has potential, although she totally ignores the
tabletop fountain that runs 24/7 in the living room.

George