Carey the mystery cat

Old July 20th 05, 11:38 PM
Janet B

Default Carey the mystery cat

For any who have read past posts, great. If not, please know that a
bajillion tests have been done and so many things tried, we're
exhausted.

Carey had an ultrasound today (what's another $355 on top of all the
other inconclusive tests we've had?!?! ;-D).

She has an apparent mass where her left adrenal gland is located.
Without going in, we have no idea what it may be. She has no symptoms
consistent with adrenal gland issues (according to my vet and my past
experience with a dog). We will not be doing exploratory surgery.

No other problems found, Not with her bladder, or kidneys, or
stomach..... nada. zilch. zero.

So, we're back at square one. Staying on the prozac which has had
minor effect on her yowling. Consulting with an alternative medicine
veterinarian about some other choices to try. Continue to be
frustrated as hell, and really, really tired of cleaning up urine.
But I do it, and will continue to, and continue to love her and watch
her and worry and wonder.

She also has a thing where every once in while, she walks "sloped" and
hind legs splayed, kicking out as she does. Sometimes, it's only for
a few minutes, other times a whole day. And then she's romping and
playing like nothing was every wrong.

I think we're at the point where it's gotta be her little brain, but
don't have any solutions for that either.

Just venting a bit, but some had asked about ultrasound and we finally
were able to schedule and find....... nothing.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old July 21st 05, 02:55 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 20 Jul 2005 06:38:29p, Janet B wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

[...]

Janet, that must be so frustrating. They have so many tests for
everything, but if you have to go through each one, you either go
broke, into debt, or as has been my case when mystery illness
arises, more questions come up, and no diagnosis. I have no words
of advice or suggestions. I'm sorry.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old July 21st 05, 06:05 AM
Snittens

"Janet B" wrote in message
For any who have read past posts, great. If not, please know that a
bajillion tests have been done and so many things tried, we're
exhausted.

Carey had an ultrasound today (what's another $355 on top of all the
other inconclusive tests we've had?!?! ;-D).

She has an apparent mass where her left adrenal gland is located.
Without going in, we have no idea what it may be. She has no symptoms
consistent with adrenal gland issues (according to my vet and my past
experience with a dog). We will not be doing exploratory surgery.

snip

I'm sorry Janet. I know you've been through a lot with Carey and it sounds
like you've tried everything under the sun. Maybe she does have some wires
crossed in her brain. I can't offer any medical advice, just support. I
hope you can at least find something that helps the pee problem.

-Kelly

Old July 21st 05, 07:54 AM
-L.

Janet B wrote:
For any who have read past posts, great. If not, please know that a
bajillion tests have been done and so many things tried, we're
exhausted.

Carey had an ultrasound today (what's another $355 on top of all the
other inconclusive tests we've had?!?! ;-D).

I am so glad you had this done!

She has an apparent mass where her left adrenal gland is located.
Without going in, we have no idea what it may be. She has no symptoms
consistent with adrenal gland issues (according to my vet and my past
experience with a dog). We will not be doing exploratory surgery.

No other problems found, Not with her bladder, or kidneys, or
stomach..... nada. zilch. zero.

Since the adrenal gland sits on the kidney, it is possible the tumor is
overstimulating her urinary tract system.

So, we're back at square one. Staying on the prozac which has had
minor effect on her yowling. Consulting with an alternative medicine
veterinarian about some other choices to try. Continue to be
frustrated as hell, and really, really tired of cleaning up urine.
But I do it, and will continue to, and continue to love her and watch
her and worry and wonder.

She also has a thing where every once in while, she walks "sloped" and
hind legs splayed, kicking out as she does. Sometimes, it's only for
a few minutes, other times a whole day. And then she's romping and
playing like nothing was every wrong.

I think we're at the point where it's gotta be her little brain, but
don't have any solutions for that either.

Just venting a bit, but some had asked about ultrasound and we finally
were able to schedule and find....... nothing.

But you *did* find something. The adrenal glad has a feed-back
mechanism to other endocrine glands so it may be stimulating her pineal
or pituitary, which might manifest as weird behaviors.

Also, I suspect the tumor is putting pressure on nerves which are
causing the strange gait. That happened with my dog long before her
tumor (under her spine, same general area) affected anything else.

I am glad you have *an* answer, eventhough it wasn't the answer you
were looking for. I was hoping it was a bladder stone. :/

-L.

Old July 21st 05, 01:22 PM
Janet B

Thanks all, for the words of support.

Another weird thing. She had been given sub-Q fluids after having to
have some Ace in order to do the ultrasound. Since I had awakened her
from a many hour nap to take her to the vet, and she had fluids, we
knew she'd really have to pee. She also had a ton of stuff in her
intestine/colon, which made things difficult to see.

I had an appointment somewhere else, so as soon as we came home, I put
a litter box in a dog crate and put her in there too. I was gone for
2 hours. Came home - NOTHING in the box (or outisde of it). With a
bladder and bowel like that, it would seem that there is no urgency
issue about any of her behavior!

The alternative medicine vet had been talking to me about the relation
of many of her behaviors, going back to the same element (wood) and
body part (liver). Her liver looks fine BTW. I don't really know
much about chinese medicine, the elements and all of that, and don't
know how much of it I believe in. But....... I get acupuncture. I
had an appt right after Carey's ultrasound. My practitioner told me
those are the parts/elements she treats ME in. Weird stuff.

Old July 21st 05, 03:47 PM
-L.

Janet B wrote:
Thanks all, for the words of support.

Another weird thing. She had been given sub-Q fluids after having to
have some Ace in order to do the ultrasound. Since I had awakened her
from a many hour nap to take her to the vet, and she had fluids, we
knew she'd really have to pee. She also had a ton of stuff in her
intestine/colon, which made things difficult to see.

I had an appointment somewhere else, so as soon as we came home, I put
a litter box in a dog crate and put her in there too. I was gone for
2 hours. Came home - NOTHING in the box (or outisde of it). With a
bladder and bowel like that, it would seem that there is no urgency
issue about any of her behavior!

That's really bizzare. How old is she again? Sounds a bit to me like
she is losing it, mentally.

The alternative medicine vet had been talking to me about the relation
of many of her behaviors, going back to the same element (wood) and
body part (liver). Her liver looks fine BTW. I don't really know
much about chinese medicine, the elements and all of that, and don't
know how much of it I believe in. But....... I get acupuncture. I
had an appt right after Carey's ultrasound. My practitioner told me
those are the parts/elements she treats ME in. Weird stuff.

Whoa - that *is* weird. I have a friend who *swears* that acupuncture
works, and know an acquaintence who uses it on her horses with great
results. I have never done it. Who knows? At this point you have
exhausted your medical resources. I can't think of anything else to
suggest. I hate cases like this!

-L.

Old July 21st 05, 04:22 PM
Janet B

On 21 Jul 2005 07:47:23 -0700, "-L." ,
clicked their heels and said:

That's really bizzare. How old is she again? Sounds a bit to me like
she is losing it, mentally.

She'll be 12 next Friday.

Whoa - that *is* weird. I have a friend who *swears* that acupuncture
works, and know an acquaintence who uses it on her horses with great
results. I have never done it. Who knows? At this point you have
exhausted your medical resources. I can't think of anything else to
suggest. I hate cases like this!

-L.

Yeah - I'll try anything non-invasive. Acupuncture can be wonderful.
Sometimes it's just relaxing, but other times it has definitely
stopped pain, etc.

This morning, Carey has been passing teeny amounts of bloody urine (in
and out of the box), so the call is in to the vet and we'll see what
we do next (assuming antibiotics, but what else........).

Of course, I put down a new pale green rug for the summer, just last
week, and she christened it day one with a hairball, and today (day 5)
with bloody urine. Are we having fun yet?

Old July 21st 05, 10:05 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Janet B exclaimed (21-Jul-05 4:22 PM):

This morning, Carey has been passing teeny amounts of bloody urine (in
and out of the box), so the call is in to the vet and we'll see what
we do next (assuming antibiotics, but what else........).

Now, THIS sounds like cystitis (should know, this was Meep last week;
still on the antibiotics). Would explain her reluctance to pee, and her
peeing in inappropriate places.

Though with all the tests you've had done, there has been a urinalysis
at some point, right? Did they mention crystals? Cystitis can also be
caused by stress, so it could just be something new to add on.

I wish I had an answer for her other issue(s). Good luck, I hope the
acupuncture has some positive effect!

jmc
Old July 21st 05, 10:34 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:05:23 +0100, jmc
, clicked their heels and said:

Now, THIS sounds like cystitis (should know, this was Meep last week;
still on the antibiotics). Would explain her reluctance to pee, and her
peeing in inappropriate places.

She's back to peeing in her box and normal urine, this afternoon. I'm
betting the blood was a stress reaction and she didn't want to go in
the box that was confined (albeit in a large wire crate) with her. Of
course, that doesn't mean I don't expect inappropriate urination
again, but her urine is normal in appearance again.

Though with all the tests you've had done, there has been a urinalysis
at some point, right? Did they mention crystals? Cystitis can also be
caused by stress, so it could just be something new to add on.

OMG yes (urinalysis and well as cultures). No crystals. Something
anyone who hasn't read her saga before doesn't know, is that we've
been battling this and many problems with her for over 3 years.

I wish I had an answer for her other issue(s). Good luck, I hope the
acupuncture has some positive effect!

You and me both! ;-D Thanks for supportive words. It gets soooo
frustrating.