Kitten watches TV & sees self in mirror

Old July 22nd 05, 01:04 AM
mig31m6

Default Kitten watches TV & sees self in mirror

Hello Everyone
I have a 3 mo. old female kitten that sees herself in the mirror,
watches TV and if on a news station, tries to catch the messages
crawling across the screen. Is this standard behavior or do I have an
oddball? I don't remember my previous cat doing either of these
behaviors. I'd be interested in comparing notes.
Thanks

Old July 22nd 05, 02:44 AM
Justin L

On 21 Jul 2005 17:04:21 -0700, "mig31m6" wrote:

Hello Everyone
I have a 3 mo. old female kitten that sees herself in the mirror,
watches TV and if on a news station, tries to catch the messages
crawling across the screen. Is this standard behavior or do I have an
oddball? I don't remember my previous cat doing either of these
behaviors. I'd be interested in comparing notes.
Thanks

When I first got Elwood, he would get all freaked out by his
reflection in the mirror on the bottom of my entertainment center.
He didn't realize it was his reflection for awhile, and he would
always try stalking and attacking his reflection like he thought it
was another cat.
It was pretty good entertainment for a few weeks!

I don't think he realizes what TV is though.
Old July 22nd 05, 02:47 AM
Wendy

"mig31m6" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Everyone
I have a 3 mo. old female kitten that sees herself in the mirror,
watches TV and if on a news station, tries to catch the messages
crawling across the screen. Is this standard behavior or do I have an
oddball? I don't remember my previous cat doing either of these
behaviors. I'd be interested in comparing notes.
Thanks

My boots spent a lot of time last winter sitting on my dresser in front of
the mirror. I don't know what he was doing but there was a lot of mirror
banging on the wall going on and a lot of nose prints on the glass left
behind.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:33 AM
Mathew Kagis

Both my kittens would paw at their own images in the mirror, then draw
back when they 'touched' their mirror paw. Chablis has been known to
watch tv on occasion & they both love to chase the cursor or any other
movement on the computer screen. Not to mention that the CPU screen
makes a lovely backlight for their tail & ass.

*sigh*
Mathew, Chablis & Muscat

Old July 22nd 05, 05:44 AM
Ajanta

mig31m6 wrote:

: I have a 3 mo. old female kitten that sees herself in the mirror,
: watches TV and if on a news station, tries to catch the messages
: crawling across the screen. Is this standard behavior or do I have an
: oddball? I don't remember my previous cat doing either of these
: behaviors. I'd be interested in comparing notes.

The visitor cat I have been talking about in another thread loves
to watch TV if it is on. She sits silently fixated at the screen for
about 30 minutes before getting distracted towards something else.
Old July 22nd 05, 10:15 AM
Jim

Our three cats are all obsessed with the "space" screensaver, so I have had
to disable it. They would get to the point that if it was on, they would
very quickly double paw the screen as if running on a treadmill, hard to
explain - a little like digging on the screen. When I got the TFT - the
Space Screensaver found the recycle bin very quickly

They also enjoy fast moving objects on TV.

With regards to the mirrors, Tango used to try and sneak up on himself in
the mirror, and when he got close, a quick paw would hit the glass, then he
would scatter, calm down, and try again Very funny.

Sounds like you have a normal fluffball

Jim.

Old July 22nd 05, 03:46 PM
Alex

"mig31m6" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Everyone
I have a 3 mo. old female kitten that sees herself in the mirror,

Why, don't you? If not, keep in your silk-lined coffin during daylight, and
stay away from garlic and stakes...

Old July 23rd 05, 12:54 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 21 Jul 2005 08:04:21p, mig31m6 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com):

Hello Everyone
I have a 3 mo. old female kitten that sees herself in the
mirror, watches TV and if on a news station, tries to catch the
messages crawling across the screen. Is this standard behavior
or do I have an oddball? I don't remember my previous cat doing
either of these behaviors. I'd be interested in comparing
notes. Thanks

I have one cat that loves looking at himself in the mirror. He's
also the one that watches tv, watches the mouse pointer on the
computer screen (he got upset when I got rid of the old desktop and
got a laptop because he can't sit on the warm monitor and watch the
screen from above, block the screen with his tail, etc). One of the
newer 2 likes to watch TV, but I haven't seen any reaction out of
him with the mirror, and my former feral had the **** scared out of
her because she was watching me in the mirror in my bedroom and
then realized I was behind her and not in front of her. She
bolted! So, in my experience, you get varied responses. Any and
all of them are "normal".

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old July 23rd 05, 12:57 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 21 Jul 2005 09:47:48p, Wendy wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(news

"mig31m6" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Everyone
I have a 3 mo. old female kitten that sees herself in the
mirror, watches TV and if on a news station, tries to catch the
messages crawling across the screen. Is this standard behavior
or do I have an oddball? I don't remember my previous cat
doing either of these behaviors. I'd be interested in
comparing notes. Thanks

My boots spent a lot of time last winter sitting on my dresser
in front of the mirror. I don't know what he was doing but there
was a lot of mirror banging on the wall going on and a lot of
nose prints on the glass left behind.

Nose prints! LOL! Well, they can't try to sniff the butt of the
kitty in the mirror, even if they *could* walk behind it.

Old July 23rd 05, 01:18 AM
Wendy

"mig31m6" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Everyone
I have a 3 mo. old female kitten that sees herself in the
mirror, watches TV and if on a news station, tries to catch the
messages crawling across the screen. Is this standard behavior
or do I have an oddball? I don't remember my previous cat
doing either of these behaviors. I'd be interested in
comparing notes. Thanks

My boots spent a lot of time last winter sitting on my dresser
in front of the mirror. I don't know what he was doing but there
was a lot of mirror banging on the wall going on and a lot of
nose prints on the glass left behind.

Nose prints! LOL! Well, they can't try to sniff the butt of the
kitty in the mirror, even if they *could* walk behind it.

--
Cheryl

Yea, nose prints. He has a very wet nose and leaves nose prints all over the
place. He must be part dog or something, he comes when I call him too.