Why cats do the things they do....

Old September 4th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kaytonah

Default Why cats do the things they do....

I was wondering why my cat, Lippy, does a "digging/flexing" motion with his
front paws? He is de-clawed, and he does this everywhere, on the bed, or
lying down . He just starts digging and mashing and he'll do this for quite
some time, and i have no idea why. It would be very nice to know.
Thanks to eveyone who replies.
Kaytonah

Old September 4th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"Kaytonah" u26157@uwe wrote in message news:65ce2b8868b8e@uwe...
I was wondering why my cat, Lippy, does a "digging/flexing" motion with his
front paws? He is de-clawed, and he does this everywhere, on the bed, or
lying down . He just starts digging and mashing and he'll do this for
quite
some time, and i have no idea why. It would be very nice to know.
Thanks to eveyone who replies.
Kaytonah

When they have their claws beside a way to keep the claws trim and
sharp it is also a way for them to flex their muscles and keep them in
shape. This is just a natural instinct and habit all cats do.

Now they also do what I call peter patter where they will stay in one
spot flexing their claws/ paws back and forth while pushing and kneading.
This is a sign of affection

Old September 4th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Kaytonah wrote:
I was wondering why my cat, Lippy, does a "digging/flexing" motion
with his front paws? He is de-clawed, and he does this everywhere, on
the bed, or lying down . He just starts digging and mashing and he'll
do this for quite some time, and i have no idea why. It would be very
nice to know.
Thanks to eveyone who replies.
Kaytonah

I hope you're not responsible for him being de-clawed. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old September 4th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Kaytonah wrote:
I was wondering why my cat, Lippy, does a "digging/flexing" motion
with his front paws? He is de-clawed, and he does this everywhere, on
the bed, or lying down . He just starts digging and mashing and he'll
do this for quite some time, and i have no idea why. It would be very
nice to know.
Thanks to eveyone who replies.
Kaytonah

This looks like another message from the troll on CatKB.com.

Old September 5th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bobblespin

"Kaytonah" u26157@uwe wrote in news:65ce2b8868b8e@uwe:

I was wondering why my cat, Lippy, does a "digging/flexing" motion
with his front paws? He is de-clawed, and he does this everywhere, on
the bed, or lying down . He just starts digging and mashing and he'll
do this for quite some time, and i have no idea why. It would be very
nice to know. Thanks to eveyone who replies.
Kaytonah

You may be referring to kneading, or making bread as it is often called.
It dates back to when they were nursing and kneading the teat to help the
milk come. A lot of cats continue to do this when they are older,
especially when they're on a soft surface. It probably reminds them of
good times because they usually purr when they do it.

Bobble

--
Save the earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

Sonny's web page -- http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html
Old September 5th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Kaytonah wrote:

I was wondering why my cat, Lippy, does a "digging/flexing" motion with his
front paws? He is de-clawed, and he does this everywhere, on the bed, or
lying down . He just starts digging and mashing and he'll do this for quite
some time, and i have no idea why. It would be very nice to know.
Thanks to eveyone who replies.
Kaytonah

It's called "kneading" - all cats do it instinctively
(usually it's an expression of contentment), and being
declawed makes no difference. (Declawed cats still do all
the "claw sharpening" behaviour, too - such actions are
instinctive, and THEY don't know they have no claws to sharpen.)

Old September 5th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kaytonah wrote:
I was wondering why my cat, Lippy, does a "digging/flexing" motion with his
front paws? He is de-clawed, and he does this everywhere, on the bed, or
lying down . He just starts digging and mashing and he'll do this for quite
some time, and i have no idea why. It would be very nice to know.
Thanks to eveyone who replies.
Kaytonah

Being declawed doesn't stop the desire to scratch. It exercises the
paws, and just plain feels good to them. What your cat is doing sounds
more like kneading though. They do it when they're happy or contented.
One of mine does the same thing in preparation of taking a nap. It's
like he has to get the surface "just right" before he lies down.

Sherry

Old September 5th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Anonymous

Sent via http://Pets-99.com , http://AnimalForum.ws & http://AnimalBlog.org

Old September 5th 06, 09:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

"bobblespin" wrote in message
"Kaytonah" u26157@uwe wrote in news:65ce2b8868b8e@uwe:

I was wondering why my cat, Lippy, does a "digging/flexing" motion
with his front paws? He is de-clawed, and he does this everywhere, on
the bed, or lying down . He just starts digging and mashing and he'll
do this for quite some time, and i have no idea why. It would be very
nice to know. Thanks to eveyone who replies.
Kaytonah

You may be referring to kneading, or making bread as it is often called.
It dates back to when they were nursing and kneading the teat to help the
milk come. A lot of cats continue to do this when they are older,
especially when they're on a soft surface. It probably reminds them of
good times because they usually purr when they do it.

Bobble

But it hurts when the soft spot is your lap!

kili