Neighbors cat is trying to move in

Old April 16th 15, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Cat Collars (WAS: Neighbors cat is trying to move in)

On 4/14/2015 6:13 PM, Lord Bergamot wrote:
I thought of attaching a note to the collar, only problem is,
the collar was only on her for three days, then went missing.
I'm thinking about buying some collars for her and my cats.
I checked on ebay , but didn't see any listed that were break
away collars. I'll be going to town in a week or so, and see
if I can find one in a store.

Hmmmm. I don't think eBay is the place to buy cat collars. Try places
where they sell any pet supplies and toys. I bought Persia's break-away
collar at a Walgreen's Drug Store. I think it cost me about a dollar.

Doesn't matter. A cat that does not want to wear a collar won't. Cats
aren't stupid.

My sweet cat Persia didn't mind wearing a collar. But there were times
when she simply didn't *feel* like wearing it. At those times she'd use
her front paws to slip it off over her head. Then she'd play with it.
Roll around on it, toss it. I'd toss it back to her and she'd chase it.
It was not just a collar, it was her toy. :-D

That brings up another point about cat collars. Do not put them on
tightly. There should be a couple of human fingers worth of "play"
between the cat's neck and the collar. Even though it's a break-away
collar, they need to be able to easily remove it.

Jill
Old April 16th 15, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 2:21:07 AM UTC-4, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Sophie (RB) used to wear a breakaway collar when she went out. I just used
to hold up her collar and she would come running over to me. She also did
this when I held up her comb.

How nice! Wish Rusty (RB) would do that. He hated being combed and
I had to chase him down for combing and brushing. He cried as if he
was tortured and struggled to get away. It got very difficult towards
the end when he was not able to groom himself properly and got lots
of mats. I used my fingers to untangle his fur.
Now teeth brushing was another
story as he loved the taste of his cat toothpaste. I even found
teeth marks in his tube of toothpaste.

Winnie

Her collars were red with a little red barrel for our telephone number.
Then at one point she would come home without it. She lost many collars
and I had this image of a tree with all these red collars hanging off it.
One day however, she was washing the fur on her chest (she was long
haired) and she got the collar in her mouth but couldn't get it out of her
mouth. I took it off her and never put one on her again. I was worried in
case this happened when I wasn't there. She was micro-chipped so she had
some identification and only went into the gardens next door and the one
next to that.

I've never put one on Sootie but she is micro-chipped too.I don't think
she goes very far either, although further then Sophie.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old April 16th 15, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 07:20:51 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Mine wear collars (breakaway) because I put those little rf tags from
the Loc8tor on them. Usually I can use it to find the cats, but
sometimes they do get out of the collars so then I can at least find
the collars. And I have found them in some odd places.
Old April 16th 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/16/2015 12:57 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , dgk
wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 07:20:51 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

In article , jmcquown
wrote:
[...]

I tried to resist as we all know (or imagine) what strange places our cats
get into but i have to ask what were the odd places?

Judith

Wasn't there a study done about this? Cats with tracking devices (and
cameras) attached to their collars? They tend to venture further than
you think!

Jill
Old April 16th 15, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Agree completely. Tigger, my brother's cat will not wear a collar, he
removes it within an hour. Boyfie came here with a collar on, and he is
happy to wear one. I like him to have a reflective collar on because he
often goes out when it's dark, even though there isn't much traffic at least
if a car comes along they will see him. Not that he goes out the front much
where the road is, it's "just in case". It has an elastic insert in case
he gets caught up anywhere so he can wriggle out of it.
Most cats that are indoor/outdoor here wear collars.

Old April 16th 15, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
One day however, she was washing the fur on her chest (she was long
haired) and she got the collar in her mouth but couldn't get it out of her
mouth. I took it off her and never put one on her again. I was worried in
case this happened when I wasn't there.

Too loose.

She was micro-chipped so she had
some identification and only went into the gardens next door and the one
next to that.

How do you know that? Cats wander further than you think.

I've never put one on Sootie but she is micro-chipped too.I don't think
she goes very far either, although further then Sophie.

I don't wish to be confrontational, but who knows where our cats go when
they are out? A friend's cat was killed on a road nearly 3 miles away from
his home (and yes, he was neutered)
If Boyfie is out for an hour, he probably hasn't gone far. If he is out for
3 hours, who knows?
Once he was out for 7 hours during the day. I panicked. I searched the
streets for his body.
He strolled in near to his teatime. I was so pleased to see him that I was
angry. But I never say a cross word to him so I didn't.
Same as when I went missing as a 10 y o child through going to see my
friend's new baby sister on the way home from school. Then I paddled around
in the brook.
Half the village was out looking for me by then. My grandmother had alerted
my mother, she came home from work and when I was found safe my mother said
"if you ever do that again, I will kill you myself"

She didn't mean it of course. I know that feeling. So happy to have them
home and extremely ticked off about the worry.

Old April 17th 15, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 07:20:51 +0100, Judith Latham

Mine wear collars (breakaway) because I put those little rf tags from
the Loc8tor on them. Usually I can use it to find the cats, but
sometimes they do get out of the collars so then I can at least find the
collars. And I have found them in some odd places.

I tried to resist as we all know (or imagine) what strange places our cats
get into but i have to ask what were the odd places?

Judith

Wasn't there a study done about this? Cats with tracking devices (and
cameras) attached to their collars? They tend to venture further than
you think!

Jill

Yes, mine do stay a lot closer to home, usually because I have the
backyard fenced so they can't get out. But when I first took in
Scooter he still wanted to go out into the street so I let him. One
winter he came back without the collar so I went to find it and the
tracker showed that it was in the middle of the street. I was afraid
that it had fallen into the sewer and was under ground, but then I
looked up and it was on a tiny branch that was right over my head
about 20' (6 meters). I threw snowballs until it came down.

Another time I found the collar attached to a chain link fence. It was
caught in such a way that if it hadn't been a break-away collar it
probably would have hung him.

One of my neighbors has a very low wood deck, maybe 6" above the
ground. The neighborhood strays love to go under there, and one day
the tracker found the collar almost in the middle of the deck. I had
to use a thin stick to keep pushing it towards an edge of the deck,
until I could reach under and grab it.

Those days are done. I haven't let Scooter out the front door in at
least two years. Too many cars go by on our block to take the chance.
Old April 17th 15, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Default Cat Collars

Christina Websell wrote:

Agree completely. Tigger, my brother's cat will not wear a collar, he
removes it within an hour. Boyfie came here with a collar on, and he is
happy to wear one. I like him to have a reflective collar on because he
often goes out when it's dark, even though there isn't much traffic at least
if a car comes along they will see him. Not that he goes out the front much
where the road is, it's "just in case". It has an elastic insert in case
he gets caught up anywhere so he can wriggle out of it.
Most cats that are indoor/outdoor here wear collars.

Just a comment about collars with elastic inserts: during my years as a
fosterer I was given a number of cats with collar injuries to nurse back
to health. These occur when a lost/stray cat wearing a collar with
elasticated insert gets a front leg caught through the collar, and can't
get it back out again. The collar gets tightly caught under the front
'armpit' and rubs away fur and eventually skin, causing a very nasty
wound that is hard to heal due to the location. All of my cats wear
*breakaway* collars and tags, not elasticated collars, for this reason.
If they ever come back without a collar, I am glad because it has done
its job. I keep a small stock of them in as replacements for when this
happens.
Breakaway collar:
http://www.coolcatcollars.co.uk/brea...e-velvet-soft-
cat-collar.html
Elastic insert collar:
http://ru.dhgate.com/product/classic...t-liner-elasti
c/141348999.html

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old April 17th 15, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

jmcquown wrote:
One day however, she was washing the fur on her chest (she was long
haired) and she got the collar in her mouth but couldn't get it out of
her
mouth. I took it off her and never put one on her again. I was worried
in
case this happened when I wasn't there.

Too loose.

It was two fingers loose so I thought that was ok.

She was micro-chipped so she had
some identification and only went into the gardens next door and the
one next to that.

How do you know that? Cats wander further than you think.

Because my neighbours all around me knew her and where she lived. The
people whose garden back onto mine said they only ever saw her looking out
of the windows, all my neighbours, other than those next door, never saw
her in their gardens and if Sophie wasn't in my garden I could see her in
next doors'. these same neighbours all knew Sweep (RB) my previous cat and
I knew she she not only went in their gardens but further afield.

Sootie, I know she goes in all the gardens up the street and in through
the gardens that back onto mine into the street behind mine, I've met her
there but the people who live there says she doesn't go into the road. (I
hope she keeps to that) She curls up and sleeps in the gardens or sits
watching flower beds for wild life. A couple of days ago she, as he put
it, "frightened the life out of me" my next door neighbour. He was getting
some weeds up from under a bush and Sootie, who'd been curled up
underneath, stood up. one day I was calling Sootie and my next door
neighbours watched as Sootie, who was in their garden, glanced over in my
direction, lay down and went to sleep.

It's not that I have nosey neighbours but animal lovers (mainly cat
lovers) and we've all lived here a long time and know each other. I know
where the local cats live too and what they get up to in my field of
vision.

[...]

I know that feeling too.

You might be surprised how far outdoor cats can go. Even neutered/spayed
cats have been found killed by cars miles away. I don't think Boyfie goes
far, but once he was missing for 8 hours. I nearly went mad, looking for his
body in neighbouring streets but he marched in eventually. Like "what's the
problem? any chance of food?"
You can imagine what I said to him.

Old April 17th 15, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Just a comment about collars with elastic inserts: during my years as a
fosterer I was given a number of cats with collar injuries to nurse back
to health. These occur when a lost/stray cat wearing a collar with
elasticated insert gets a front leg caught through the collar, and can't
get it back out again. The collar gets tightly caught under the front
'armpit' and rubs away fur and eventually skin, causing a very nasty
wound that is hard to heal due to the location.

Yep. I rescued a neighbour's cat that had that happen; found her
writhing in the street. Fortunately I got to her quickly enough
that she hadn't been hurt.