I'm a bit worried

Old August 1st 15, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

Default I'm a bit worried

On 7/31/2015 9:58 AM, Christina Websell wrote:

Please purr & pray your hardest that he doesn't have thyroid trouble and
need pilling every day as that would be nigh impossible without help.

Wally is the cat I was supposedly going to foster for a few months while
the owner tried to get back on her feet.

It's been a year, and we haven't heard from her in six months; think I
have a permanent cat.

Anyway, she's on thyroid medicine (Tapazole) twice a day. We give it in
the form of chicken-flavored "chews", which I suppose cost more than
normal pills. But she thinks they are treats and gobbles down the
quarter of a chew eagerly. They recently halved the dosage from a half
to a quarter twice a day, and in a way it's sad because she likes them
so much.

So this is a possible solution; your issue might not be as complicated
as you fear.

Art

Old August 1st 15, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Christina Websell wrote:

Please purr & pray your hardest that he doesn't have thyroid trouble and
need pilling every day as that would be nigh impossible without help. I
can't even change his collar without two of us.

I hope that Boyfie doesn't have thyroid trouble but if he does, it's
worth considering a thyroidectomy for him as an alternative to pilling.
Willow had one side of the thyroid removed last year which helped bring
her levels right down to near-normal. It's a very quick (10-minute)
surgery and although there is the one-off cost to account for, over time
it would amount to the same as many repeat prescriptions of pills or
whatever. Just a thought which may be of help.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old August 1st 15, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Friday, 31 July 2015 12:58:24 UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:
Tigger & Boyfriend went to TED's yesterday for their annual boosters and
health check. Usual dramas about getting them into their carriers, Tigger
said no very vehemently and Claire arrived here a bit late with claw wounds
to her neck, chest, arms and hands.
Usual wowling all the way there from both.

Tigger has slightly increased in weight to 5.6kg and may have to have a
tooth out, but otherwise he is fine. He is 8 years old. He is a very big
cat and the vet (Alison, who I've used for 20 years+) say's he is not
overweight but not to let him put more weight on. For the first time ever
he didn't have fleas.

Boyfie's teeth are good, as is his heart, he has no fleas but he has lost
weight. I knew that. He's lost weight only since he got bullied recently,
so I asked Alison if that could be the cause and she said "yes, but with an
older cat we always have to look for something else too". He hardly ever
drinks, so atm, diabetes and renal failure are ruled out, but there is a
possibility of over-active thyroid.
He's been sent home with the advice of freefeeding him on dry plus his wet.
I asked about "dry for boys" which I've been told is a bad idea many times,
Alison said that if he hasn't had urinary problems before (he hasn't) he
will be fine and there's a lot more calories in dry food. If he doesn't put
on weight in 3 months, he has to go back for more investigation.
Well, Boyfie thought it was his birthday, as much food as he wanted! He
gorged and consequently I had to clean out the bath this morning.

Please purr & pray your hardest that he doesn't have thyroid trouble and
need pilling every day as that would be nigh impossible without help. I
can't even change his collar without two of us. However, he is particularly
disgusted with Tigger for scratching his own meowmie. No matter what I do to
him, Boyfie never has and never would scratch me. He hates being picked up
and when he is, he knows it's TED coming. He resists going in his carrier
by doing starfish. with no claws involved.

So, I'm worried about him. He hasn't been the same since the big fight, he
spends a lot of time in his bedroom, which might be sensible or might mean
he feels ill from thyroid trouble or something worse.

I adore him, and he does me. Please let him be OK.

Tweed

Rusty had all the symptoms of thyroid problem and he was skin & bones.
But to my surprise, and probably his vet's too, his thyroid was fine.
So don't worry until his blood work comes back positive for a thyroid problem.

I had lots of problem pilling Rusty and he had many medications over the years.
Eventually I found pill pockets work very well. He just gobbled them down.

Purrs for Boyfie, and you.

Winnie
Old August 1st 15, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Please purr & pray your hardest that he doesn't have thyroid trouble and
need pilling every day as that would be nigh impossible without help. I
can't even change his collar without two of us.

I hope that Boyfie doesn't have thyroid trouble but if he does, it's
worth considering a thyroidectomy for him as an alternative to pilling.
Willow had one side of the thyroid removed last year which helped bring
her levels right down to near-normal. It's a very quick (10-minute)
surgery and although there is the one-off cost to account for, over time
it would amount to the same as many repeat prescriptions of pills or
whatever. Just a thought which may be of help.

Deb.

Thanks, Deb. I scared myself with this:
http://www.yourcat.co.uk/Indepth-cat...m-in-cats.html

and decided that if he does have that condition, that a thyroidectomy would
be the way to go.
I'm not bothered about the cost, I love him so much that i would spent my
last penny on him.

Tweed

Old August 1st 15, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:58:19 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Please purr & pray your hardest that he doesn't have thyroid trouble and
need pilling every day as that would be nigh impossible without help. I
can't even change his collar without two of us. However, he is
particularly
disgusted with Tigger for scratching his own meowmie. No matter what I do
him, Boyfie never has and never would scratch me. He hates being picked
up
and when he is, he knows it's TED coming. He resists going in his carrier
by doing starfish. with no claws involved.

So, I'm worried about him. He hasn't been the same since the big fight,
he
spends a lot of time in his bedroom, which might be sensible or might mean
he feels ill from thyroid trouble or something worse.

I adore him, and he does me. Please let him be OK.

I think it's too early to worry about pilling, but even if that ever
happens, there are still tricks and pill pocket treats that might work.

Yes, I know it's a bit early to worry yet but I can't help it.

If his bloodwork is good, then I'm sure he'll be ok. It sounds like he's
feeling a bit down.

He doesn't have to have bloodwork done unless he doesn't respond to the
increased feeding he's having in 3 months and put weight back on. My own
feeling is that the stress of being bullied and continually having to fight
has caused it. We'll see what happens. I had already increased his food
but now he has food in front of him all the time. He can't believe his
luck.
Alison-the-vet said "do you think he has an excessive appetite?" I said
"yes" so she immediately thought "thyroid.." I could see it going through
her mind, until I said "but he has always been a pig ever since I had him"
and he has. Since 2003 that boy could eat for England.
I'm trying not to worry too much.
Tweed

Old August 1st 15, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Irulan" wrote in message
Purrs that Boyfie is all fine all around.

Lily's mama

thanks, it's nice to see you again on here.

Old August 1st 15, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

Persia had thyroid problems. Generally it occurs in cats that are older
than Boyfie. Eight years old isn't all that old for a cat.

Boyfie is 13. It's Tigger that is 8.

Boyfie might just not feel like going out. The black cat (which has
vanished) may or may not be the cause. He might just have decided he'd
rather stay inside where it's comfy.

I know my boy. He always feels like going out when he wants until he got
beaten up so badly. During the summer he likes to meatloaf in the
conservatory on top on my chest freezer. He has a bed on there. Now he is
afraid to do that. I'm happy that he's decided to stay in so he doesn't get
injured again, but I know that's not his choice.

Old August 2nd 15, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Art Shapiro" wrote in message
[...]

thanks, Art. If it comes to pilling, I'll ask my vet about chews that I can
hide them in. I'm hoping it will not be necessary.
but once the vet puts that idea into your head..
I still think that Boyfie has been horribly stressed by having to fight off
this young thug of a black cat for weeks and this has caused his weight
loss. Anxiety about this sort of thing can cause weight loss.
Anyway we'll see how it goes. The cat hasn't been seen again since the big
fight, and if Boyfie continues to lose weight despite increased food, he
probably has thyroid problems.

Old August 2nd 15, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Rusty" wrote in message

Rusty had all the symptoms of thyroid problem and he was skin & bones.
But to my surprise, and probably his vet's too, his thyroid was fine.
So don't worry until his blood work comes back positive for a thyroid
problem.

I had lots of problem pilling Rusty and he had many medications over the
years.
Eventually I found pill pockets work very well. He just gobbled them down.

Purrs for Boyfie, and you.

Winnie

Thanks, Winnie. Boyfie isn't skin and bone. He just lost weight from last
year's check. I'd noticed it myself and as his annual health check was
coming up, I asked the vet about it then.
He is free feeding on dry now. Plus 200g wet daily.
If he doesn't increase weight on that, then he probably has a medical issue.
He is absolutely delighted about the new regime. He ate far too much
yesterday which led to bath pooing overnight, but who cares?
today he saw all the dry food in his bowl and said "| think that's too
much.." But he snacks on it throughout the day and I'm hoping he gains
weight.

Old August 2nd 15, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

I will find some chews if it comes to pilling thanks to your idea