drooling kitties

Old June 17th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Default drooling kitties

Any ideas on what can cause both of my cats to start drooling? It's not
a lot of drool, but just a single drop that's slowly dripping out of the
side of their mouths.

I noticed it first in my 9 year old, Kotyo, yesterday afternoon. About 2
hours after he ate, I went to pet him and his lower jaw was covered in
little drops of drool, and there were wet patches on the cat tree where
he lay. He has early stage CRF so I rushed him to the vet. They looked
at him, his temperature was normal, his eyes were reacting ok to light,
his heart and everything else seemed ok. The vet thought that, since
he's a CRF cat, it was stomach acid and he was drooling because he was
nauseous. They gave me sucralfate and I started giving it to him that
same evening. He is still drooling, but not as much as yesterday. Just a
slow drip after eating, and it stops after a few hours.

But half an hour ago I went to pet Sweety (2 years old), and her paw was
wet, and so was her chest, and she had a little bit of drool hanging
from her mouth :-( They ate almost 5 hours ago so it can't be
food-related. After I wiped her chin she doesn't seem to be drooling
anymore, but she does seem to be swallowing a bit more often than usual
- or it could be just me watching her more closely than usual.

We don't have any plants in the house, so they can't have eaten any. We
haven't given them flea medication (they're indoors only so they don't
need it). We have not started cleaning the house with any new cleaning
products, although my mom did start using a new laundry detergent in the
washer in the last week. But the washer is in the kitchen with the
kitchen door closed, except at mealtimes, and we don't leave the
detergent lying around - it's in a cupboard under the sink.

I just can't wrap my mind around what could be causing them both to
drool. I have to take Kotyo back to the vet tomorrow morning and I will
take Sweety as well, but if they couldn't find anything wrong with him,
I don't see how they'll do any better with her.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? The only thing I can think of
is that maybe the neighbors have sprayed something in their apartment,
and it's traveled through the central air conditioning vents and into
our apartment. But if that was the case, why did Sweety start drooling a
day later than Kotyo? And why is he drooling only after he eats? At
first I thought it was a tooth - he needs his teeth cleaned, but with
the CRF we've been leery of putting him under. But Sweety's teeth are
fine. Is it possible that Sweety's drooling is completely unrelated? We
just plugged in an air freshener in the bathroom today, and it has been
emitting a pretty strong smell - could this have made her nauseous and
made her drool? I've already turned it off, just in case.

Or are there any infectious diseases which have drooling as a symptom?
Maybe we brought in something from outside on our shoes, and it hit
Kotyo first and her only now, since she's younger and healthier? Or
could it be a cold? It was a bit cool here a couple of days ago, but I
had the window open for a while to get some air in. There was a cold
wind blowing in, and maybe they caught a cold?

If you guys can think of any tests I should ask the vet to run tomorrow,
or any other ideas for what might be causing this, I'd be very grateful.
This has me extremely worried :-(

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old June 17th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Hi Nadia,

Tooth/gum problems can cause drooling, so you'll want the vet to check
her/their mouths carefully. It seems odd to me that both of them are
drooling, though. It's possible that Sweety's was just a one-time
occurance, or perhaps she was overzealous about grooming?

Some cats, as they get older, will drool when they are very happy or
content, sometimes when you're petting them.

Rene
Old June 17th 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Rene wrote:
Hi Nadia,

Tooth/gum problems can cause drooling, so you'll want the vet to check
her/their mouths carefully. It seems odd to me that both of them are
drooling, though. It's possible that Sweety's was just a one-time
occurance, or perhaps she was overzealous about grooming?

Some cats, as they get older, will drool when they are very happy or
content, sometimes when you're petting them.

Rene

Oh, the little monster (Kotyo) does drool while I'm petting him. This
was just not his normal kind of drooling. The vet did look at his teeth
yesterday but said they didn't look too bad. Of course I've read of
people's cats whose teeth looked fine on the outside but had to have
multiple teeth pulled during a dental.

If it was just Kotyo (as it was at first), I wouldn't worry so much,
because I know he needs a dental, and with the CRF he might have an
upset tummy from stomach acid. But when I saw Sweety drooling today it
just really scared me. I'll get the vet to look at her teeth too, of
course. But I am really hoping that she just didn't like the smell of
the air freshener. I didn't know those things were so strong - if my own
nose started telling me that the smell was pretty strong, I can imagine
what it did to her sensitive nose...

I just fed them their dinner and will be watching both of them to see if
either one of them starts drooling again. Ah, those kitties... never a
dull moment with them :-)

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old June 17th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Nadia N." wrote in message
[...]

One of my 5 cats drools. But he is about 6 years old now, so it is a
mechanical problem....His lower jaw doesn't quite match the upper part, so
there is a small gap that he drools through. We have learned to accept it.
He is such a neat cat that it is really only a minor problem. You just have
to watch out that he doesn't stand with his mouth above you when you wake up
in the morning....:^)

Old June 17th 10, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Nadia N. wrote:
[...]

How is your water supply? Could it have extra chlorine (or whatever) in
it? Best wishes. MLB
Old June 17th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Bill Graham wrote:

One of my 5 cats drools. But he is about 6 years old now, so it is a
mechanical problem....His lower jaw doesn't quite match the upper part,
so there is a small gap that he drools through. We have learned to
accept it. He is such a neat cat that it is really only a minor problem.
You just have to watch out that he doesn't stand with his mouth above
you when you wake up in the morning....:^)

Hehehe. What's a little drool (or even a lot of drool) when you love a
kitty? Kotyo drools when he's happy - when I am petting him and giving
him tummy rubs. I like it - that's how I know he's really really
enjoying his chin scritches and tummy rubs.

He didn't drool at all tonight after dinner, so it seems that whatever
it was is getting better. Hopefully it will be the same with Sweety -
she never drooled as much as he did, anyway.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old June 17th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

MLB wrote:

How is your water supply? Could it have extra chlorine (or whatever) in
it? Best wishes. MLB

Hmmm, I didn't even think of that. We use a water filtration system
because the tapwater in Valencia is really bad - very hard water and
awful taste. Thanks for the suggestion.

But that wouldn't explain Sweety's drooling. They both eat wet food
only, and she never drinks any water - I guess she gets all the water
she needs from the food. Now, Kotyo drinks a lot of water - I add it to
his wet food to keep his cystitis at bay. So if it was only him
drooling, something in the water might explain it...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old June 17th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Jun 17, 3:13*pm, "Nadia N." wrote:
[...]

Snuffy's nose seems to run when he is very interested in something. I
dont think its saliva. If I get a chance, I should look more
closely.
Old June 18th 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf[_2_]

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:13:45 +0200, "Nadia N."
wrote:

[...]

This really caught my eye:

We just plugged in an air freshener in the bathroom today, and it has
been
emitting a pretty strong smell - could this have made her nauseous and
made her drool? I've already turned it off, just in case.

Whenever you cat's behavior changes, the first thing to do is see if
their environment has changed in any way.

This very well could be the cause: a chemical in the scent could be
causing them to drool, with your younger cat just taking longer to react
to it.

I hope so anyways, and you did the right thing by unplugging it.

With luck, that could be the end of it. I certainly hope so.

Keep us posted, please.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100617-1, 06/17/2010
Tested on: 6/17/2010 8:51:41 PM

Old June 18th 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Nadia N." wrote in message
Any ideas on what can cause both of my cats to start drooling? It's not a
lot of drool, but just a single drop that's slowly dripping out of the
side of their mouths.

Not meaning to scare you--but do have them examined. It's probably a tooth
or a minor issue, but when our Boo began this, it was the first sign of oral
cancer. Not that I think BOTH of your cats might have come down with this at
the same time. But better safe than sorry.