Newbie questions: Food issues

Old May 6th 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Newbie[_2_]

Default Newbie questions: Food issues

[A very sweet stray or runaway cat has adopted us and we, ignorant of
all cat issues, are in panic. That's why I have a few posts each with a
question.]

Food questions -

By reading around I figured canned is regarded better. So went and
bought some. But...

How many times do you feed a cat?

Where in Chicago area is the best place to buy canned cat food?

I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.
Old May 6th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
studio

On May 6, 12:36 am, Newbie wrote:
By reading around I figured canned is regarded better. So went and
bought some. But...

Different people do different things as far as acquiring food for
their cat.
Personally, I feed my cat both dry and wet canned food.

How many times do you feed a cat?

Personally, I feed kitty one small 3oz. can of wet food per day.
She can snack on kibbles the rest of the day as much as she wants.
If it's a larger male cat, they'll obviously want a bit more to eat.

Where in Chicago area is the best place to buy canned cat food?

Supermarkets.
But if you want a larger variety to choose from, pet stores or
animal feed stores.

I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

Yes, it seems not just human food is going up in price.
I buy Fancy Feast for kitty and just noticed it had rose
in price from .51 cents to .55 cents.
That's a low-mid-priced wet food for 3oz.

Okay, so she eats good for a full week on about $5. worth of food.

Some of the premium brands can cost .80 - $1.15 per 3oz can.

Sometimes it's just a matter of what you can afford though.
Old May 6th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
William Graham

"Newbie" wrote in message

I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

Petsmart has pretty high prices for pet chow....I suggest supermarkets, and
look through several of them for your best buys....We generally pay less
than 30 cents a can, (at Winco) but places like Safeway charge over 50 cents
a can, so you have to shop around. We buy 5 lb. bags of dry food, so the
cats don't get tired of any one flavor too fast....They like to steal it, so
we just leave the bag on the kitchen floor, where they tear into it in the
middle of the night....:^)

Old May 6th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
dgk

On Mon, 05 May 2008 23:36:50 -0500, Newbie wrote:

[A very sweet stray or runaway cat has adopted us and we, ignorant of
all cat issues, are in panic. That's why I have a few posts each with a
question.]

Food questions -

By reading around I figured canned is regarded better. So went and
bought some. But...

How many times do you feed a cat?

Where in Chicago area is the best place to buy canned cat food?

I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

There is a difference in quality in pet foods, and generally, as in
life, you get what you pay for. While debates florish, my cats have
smaller and less stinky poops using Wellness or one of the many
premium brands than Friskees or other crap. My three cats all like Pro
Plan Salmon and Rice; especially the really finicky one (Espy) who is
my favorite, so that's what they get.

They split a 3 oz can in the morning and a 6 oz can in the evening.
Plus I leave out some dry Pro Plan Salmon and Rice (yes, it comes both
wet and dry), and some Royal Canin #26, which Espy ikes.

I can't imagine why anything jumped from 37 to 69 but that is not
normal. Pricing mistake I would think. Small can do have a much higher
unit cost than larger cans though.

Old May 6th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Upscale

"Newbie" wrote in message
I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

First, you're going to have to find out what your cat will eat. Some cats
are very picky, like my cat. She will *only* eat kibble. I've tried all
sorts of canned stuff, it was a waste of money. For awhile I was buying Iams
eight pound bags of kibble, but eventually I switched to the twenty pound
bags available at Petsmart. It meant almost a 50% savings by buying in bulk.
I give my 12 pound kitty approximately one cup every evening, which
approximates the amount suggested on the bag for a cat of her size. If she
runs out of kibble before that, it's guaranteed that she will let me know
her food tray is empty.

Old May 6th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Sherry[_2_]

I am in the Chicago area and I usually get the best price by
purchasing a 32 can box of canned food at Target. My two former
strays share a can (they like the stuff that is "in gravy" - each gets
a dish with a half can plus a few tablespoons of water) in the morning
and then I free feed dry food, which is always available.

Old May 6th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Newbie[_2_]

Sherry wrote:

: I am in the Chicago area and I usually get the best price by
: purchasing a 32 can box of canned food at Target. My two former
: strays share a can (they like the stuff that is "in gravy" - each gets
: a dish with a half can plus a few tablespoons of water)

Thanks, and neat trick. Good way to make them drink some water. I
suppose it is easier to do this with gravy than with "pate" type food.
Old May 6th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
William Graham

"Newbie" wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

: I am in the Chicago area and I usually get the best price by
: purchasing a 32 can box of canned food at Target. My two former
: strays share a can (they like the stuff that is "in gravy" - each gets
: a dish with a half can plus a few tablespoons of water)

Thanks, and neat trick. Good way to make them drink some water. I
suppose it is easier to do this with gravy than with "pate" type food.

I mix a little hot water in almost all the canned foods I feed my
cats.....It is usually cold in the morning when I first open the can, and
the hot water warms it up a bit, and makes a little, "gravy" for them to
enjoy......

Old May 6th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Upscale

"Newbie" wrote in message
Thanks, and neat trick. Good way to make them drink some water. I
suppose it is easier to do this with gravy than with "pate" type food.

I wouldn't really look at it as "making them drink some water". Cat's can
and should regulate their own water intake and you should have on hand at
all times a bowl of fresh water. I bought and use a self regulating water
bowl that holds approximate three quarts of water. I replace all the water
in it about twice a week making sure to clean out the scraps of kibble bits
that my kitty transfers from her food bowl to the water bowl.

Here are the water/feed bowls that I use.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751255

Old May 6th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I always let the cans sit in warm water for about twenty minutes before
opening them. The dishes are warmed in the microwave. Then I add a
little hot water to the canned food to "loosen" it up a bit. They are
not spoiled - much!

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')