Animal Cruelty Conviction

Old May 15th 04, 11:33 PM
Yowie

"JBHajos" wrote in message
I live in what I've fondly dubbed the "Idiot State." A couple of
years ago, it finally passed an anti-cruelty law for the animals.
Most "punishments" have been the slap-on-the-wrist type. Yesterday, a
fellow was sentenced to *prison* (not jail) for 18 months plus five
years' probation. This was a *first* so it made the news. Yaaay!
Maybe there's hope for the old state yet!!

I'm glad that they are taking animal cruelty cases seriously, but pray tell,
what is the difference between jail and prison? I thought they were just
synonyms?

Yowie

Old May 15th 04, 11:49 PM
CK

Yowie wrote:

"JBHajos" wrote in message

I live in what I've fondly dubbed the "Idiot State." A couple of
years ago, it finally passed an anti-cruelty law for the animals.
Most "punishments" have been the slap-on-the-wrist type. Yesterday, a
fellow was sentenced to *prison* (not jail) for 18 months plus five
years' probation. This was a *first* so it made the news. Yaaay!
Maybe there's hope for the old state yet!!

I'm glad that they are taking animal cruelty cases seriously, but pray tell,
what is the difference between jail and prison? I thought they were just
synonyms?

Yowie

Wondering about the difference between jail and prison too, as my
brick-sized English dictionary as well as my English-Finnish one have
(practically) the same definition for both words?? Maybe it's a legal
lingo thingy...

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Laku: DS B G 4.11 Y L W C+ I+++ T++/- A+ E H+ S+ V++ F Q+ P- B PA PL

Old May 16th 04, 12:19 AM
Charleen Welton

Jail is where a person goes before he/she has gone to court and is
sentenced. Prison is where he/she goes to fill the term of the sentence.
Believe me I do not know this from personal experience! My B-I-L is a
police officer.

Charleen

Old May 16th 04, 12:24 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 16 May 2004 01:49:39 +0300, CK wrote:

Yowie wrote:

I'm glad that they are taking animal cruelty cases seriously, but pray tell,
what is the difference between jail and prison? I thought they were just
synonyms?

Yowie

Wondering about the difference between jail and prison too, as my
brick-sized English dictionary as well as my English-Finnish one have
(practically) the same definition for both words?? Maybe it's a legal
lingo thingy...

Not an expert, but I think the main difference is the length of stay.
As I understand things here in Oklahoma, under a year you're sentenced
to the jail, over a year you're shipped off to prison. Don't know if
you get any difference privileges in jail, but I imagine just having
friends and relatives closer for visiting would make it more
desirable.

The downside is that lots of the of the county jails, well prisons
too, are overcrowded. The state inspectors threatened to close down
our county jail several times in the past. Voters here passed a bond a
couple years ago and we have a brand new jail opening up, and the
county commissioners are now planning on seeing how much money they
can charge other counties and the state to house their prisoners. (The
state prisoners come back to stay in the county jail for appeals or
when they have count appearances.)
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old May 16th 04, 12:27 AM
Yowie

That would be the difference between "remand" and "jail" here. In "remand"
(in the same complex as the jail itself) AFAIK, youc an wear your own
clothes rather than prison uniform, and you do get various priveledges,
since you haven't actually been found guilty yet.

You go to remand if you can't make the bail or the judge refuses bail,
AFAIK, but otehrwise its just the same as regular prison/jail.

The police stations do have cells, but thats called "lock up" and you only
stay there until you get your bail hearing (or sober up, hehehe), which is
usually within a day or so.

Or, I could be mixing up the Australian system with the stuff I see on Law &
Order. I am not particularly familiar with the judicial system (of any
country!). Thankfully.

Yowie

om...

Old May 16th 04, 03:51 AM
Sherry

I'm glad that they are taking animal cruelty cases seriously, but pray tell,
what is the difference between jail and prison? I thought they were just
synonyms?

Yowie

Each county has its own "jail"...a holding area of sorts during trials, and a
place where short-term sentences are carried out. Usually for stuff like, hot
checks, drunk driving, minor drug deals. It's pretty informal compared to
prison. Usually the sentences are 30 days to less than 1 year. Then there's
minimum-security prison, for not-so-violent offenders. Like tax evasion,
embezzling, etc. Then there's The Big House, the penitentiary, where the really
really hard-core, or repeat offenders end up, also where they carry out death
sentences. I think there is only one or two prisons in this state, not
counting the minimum-security prisons.

Sherry