Senior canned food? (UK)

Old March 9th 05, 09:13 PM
jmc

Default Senior canned food? (UK)

Another Meep question:

She's 8 now, and we're having a harder time keeping her weight down.
Additionally, she's had a cystitis attack, and has structure problems
that I believe will predispose her to arthritis (which she may or may
not be starting to have now). Oh, and she tends toward tarter buildup,
since she eats on just one side of her mouth. She's also developing a
problem tooth on her chewing side (the one just behind the lower canine)

She'd been on dry food most of her life, because I was told by my vet
that this was healthiest for her, and for her teeth. Of course, this
has changed now. She needs more water in her diet to keep the urine
crystals down, needs some dry to help her teeth, and needs to keep her
weight down to reduce stress on her limbs and hopefully stave off
arthritis. She is getting a glucosamine supplement (purchased from Drs
Foster & Smith in the US) for both the cystitis and arthritis.

The vet's happy with her weight now, though it's a tad higher than
optimal. I feed her a specified amount of senior/light dry food
(currently James Wellbeloved - is this a good brand?), and 1/3 to 1/2
can of wet each night.

My problem is, I'd like to feed her more canned food - to equal about
half of her diet - but she won't eat it consistently (she's a fussy
thing, but fortunately less so than when she was younger), and I'm
having some problems finding a good-quality senior or light canned.

I'm an American living in the UK, so I'm not sure which brands of canned
are considered high quality, and I've only found a single brand of
senior/light, dede or something, but only in the big "soup" can, and I
don't want to buy that size can - completely wasted if she won't eat it,
and too big for it to be fresh by the time we reached the bottom.

Anyway, I'm babbling a bit. In short, what's a good brand of
senior/light canned catfood in the UK, that is likely to be accepted by
a fussy eater? And, where can I buy it online if I can't find it locally?

jmc
Old March 9th 05, 09:47 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-09, jmc penned:

Anyway, I'm babbling a bit. In short, what's a good brand of senior/light
canned catfood in the UK, that is likely to be accepted by a fussy eater?
And, where can I buy it online if I can't find it locally?

I think the flavor is just as important as the brand. Also consistency.

Oscar much prefers wellness turkey & salmon to any other type of canned food
we've tried. Failing that, she likes wellness turkey, and after that she'll
barely eat anything we give her.

Oscar, also having grown up on dry only, adores dry food and if she had dry
available, she wouldn't eat canned stuff at all. So I can't let her nibble on
dry; she only gets that as a special treat.

Maybe you could try restricting Meep's feeding to one or the other (like,
three days of canned, then a day of dry) to see if she'll change her mind
about the canned.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 9th 05, 10:25 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Monique Y. Mudama exclaimed (3/9/2005 9:47 PM):
On 2005-03-09, jmc penned:

Anyway, I'm babbling a bit. In short, what's a good brand of senior/light
canned catfood in the UK, that is likely to be accepted by a fussy eater?
And, where can I buy it online if I can't find it locally?

I think the flavor is just as important as the brand. Also consistency.

Oscar much prefers wellness turkey & salmon to any other type of canned food
we've tried. Failing that, she likes wellness turkey, and after that she'll
barely eat anything we give her.

Oscar, also having grown up on dry only, adores dry food and if she had dry
available, she wouldn't eat canned stuff at all. So I can't let her nibble on
dry; she only gets that as a special treat.

Maybe you could try restricting Meep's feeding to one or the other (like,
three days of canned, then a day of dry) to see if she'll change her mind
about the canned.

I've heard Wellness is pretty good, but haven't been able to find it
here in the UK, and due to customs laws can't order it on the 'net.

I think if I fed her exclusively canned for any length of time, she'd be
harassing us mercilessly for some dry food, since she either finishes it
off fairly quickly (after the requesite pause), or won't touch it at
all. Rarely a middle ground. She's fussy enough too that she'd rather
starve (and thus court health problems) than eat a food she doesn't like.

What I currently do is once she's refused some canned, I won't feed it
to her for a night or two or three, until she comes begging when she
hears me pull a can out of the fridge or cupboard.
Old March 10th 05, 01:38 PM
Lesley Madigan

Anyway, I'm babbling a bit. In short, what's a good brand of senior/light
canned catfood in the UK, that is likely to be accepted by a fussy eater?
And, where can I buy it online if I can't find it locally?

I think Whiskas do a canned food for seniors- don't know if its any
good but their kitten version caused upturned noses even from
Sarrasine (who usually inhales food. Iams is excellent for seniors
(I'm told by a friend) but I;ve never seen the canned variety in the
UK

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 10th 05, 10:18 PM
Alison

"jmc" wrote in message
Anyway, I'm babbling a bit. In short, what's a good brand of

senior/light canned catfood in the UK, that is likely to be accepted

by
a fussy eater? And, where can I buy it online if I can't find it

locally?

jmc

Kim tends to get Feline Idopathic cystitis and I keep her on a total
wet diet. Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be many good quality
canned foods around in the UK. She has Denes canned food which I buy
from a local pet shop. It's a bit dry but she's not fussy fortunately
.. Its not easy to get hold of. She sometimes had Yarrahs which is
organic . You can buy it from Waitroses.
if you do a search on those two name shoild come up. She also has
cooked fish amd chicken for a change as a treat.
JWB is a good brand and so is Burns dry food. I soak them first.
Alison

Old March 13th 05, 12:27 AM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Judith Latham exclaimed (3/11/2005 10:42 PM):
In article ,
jmc wrote:

Another Meep question:

She's 8 now, and we're having a harder time keeping her weight down.
Additionally, she's had a cystitis attack, and has structure problems
that I believe will predispose her to arthritis (which she may or may
not be starting to have now). Oh, and she tends toward tarter buildup,
since she eats on just one side of her mouth. She's also developing a
problem tooth on her chewing side (the one just behind the lower canine)

snipped..

Anyway, I'm babbling a bit. In short, what's a good brand of
senior/light canned catfood in the UK, that is likely to be accepted by
a fussy eater? And, where can I buy it online if I can't find it locally?

jmc

I should also tell you that I tried Iams senior but it upset her stomach.
A lot of people recommend it though.

Judith

I'm trying Hill's senior tonight, she has eaten a bit. We went on a
shopping trip, and I found a variety of light and senior cans to try.
We'll see which ones she'll accept. I'm only giving her a smidgen of
dry, to try to encourage her to eat the canned.

She certainly despises the Whiskas packets - even when she was out of
dry, she wouldn't even touch the other stuff. Not food, according to her.