Somewhat OT - spiders

Old October 16th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Somewhat OT - spiders

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Oct 16, 2:13 pm, Yowie wrote:
On 17/10/2010 3:54 AM, Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I have a spider that has set up home on my kitchen windowsill, she's
been
there for a couple of weeks and has built a typical house spider web
between
my spice jars. I know she's a girl by her thingies that poke out in
front of
her, boys have lumps on them.
That does not help as she is a big girl, too big for me to deal with.

I would guess so!! Any spider that's big enough for you to determine
her
gender is too big for me.

I am proud to announce that I decided to gird my loins and evict her
this
morning.
I'm a wuss about big hairy spiders, it makes no difference at all that I
know they cannot harm me, for some reason they give me the horrors. I
know
it is not logical.
I've been putting it off, of course. It seemed easier to leave her there
than challenge myself to do it.
Anyway, no spiders were harmed in the process and it's done. She ran
when I
moved the spice jars and hid and I thought, no, I have to find you and I
did. She curled up in fright when she knew she was discovered but I
scooped
her up carefully with a wooden spoon and put her outside the window.
She'll
just have to find another house to be a house spider in.
If you all knew how difficult it was for me to do that, you'd be proud
of me
too.

It's very easy to kill insects& spiders because you *can* and you don't
like the look of them, but it was not her fault that I have a problem
with
her appearance, is it? She deserves to live.
(I'm beginning to think I'm turning into a Buddhist)

Wow Tweed. Yes, very proud of you!

Yowie

LOL to make *your* hair stand on end, there is a local place called
Butterfly
World where they also house (confined to glass cages) a large
selection of
exotic insects.
One of the fun things the kids and visitors can do is hold and pet a
very large
furry tarantula named Mama Something (forget her name) which I do
every
time we take my grand daughter to the insect zoo.
Docents watch you and the spider carefully while this is going on. I
have never
had anything but a 'tude of passive cooperation from Mama...who knows
if it
likes petting or not? The docents have also let me feed it dried
treats of something
I have no desire to know what's in it, but Mama loves it. Urk.

------
I am fine with snakes, moths, beetles, any size, but if you put a tarantula
on to my body I guarantee my heart would stop. Which tells you all how
difficult it was to evict that big girl spider from behind my spice jars.
We had to have a confrontation.
Tweed

Old October 16th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

She was a big one, and yes, I wanted to remove her without harming her and
I did it. Yay.
I can't describe how I feared doing that. She'd been there for two weeks
or so and I knew either she'd be eyeballing me all winter when I was
eating my breakfast or she had to go.
She went.
Tweed

Old October 17th 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Oct 16, 10:54 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
wrote in message

... Christina Websell
wrote:

I am proud of you for both your bravery under fire (the British way)
and
your kindness in throwing Old Hairy outside instead of smashing her
just because we can. Well done, and a MileHigh Salute to you and
Boyfie.

thanks, hop. It took some courage and yes, I know it's ridiculous to be
afraid of big spiders but I am.
Imagine your worst fear and I did it, without hurting her.
We Brits can do this ;-)
Tweed

Boyfie says hello

I am also impressed by your bravery. My daughter also has arachnophobia,
and I know that phobias are not easy to overcome. One can't reason them
away, because they aren't reasonable. They just are, and they're very
real.

I try very hard with my arachnophobia, I can manage the small ones now but
realistically, the huge ones are always going to give me a problem.
No amount of studying them to try and find them interesting does any good,
just cannot stop being afraid of big spiders. I have no idea why, it's just
a fact.
Tweed

Old October 17th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

. ..

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Oct 16, 10:54 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
wrote in message

... Christina Websell
wrote:

[...]

That's the problem with phobias. They don't have to make sense, but that
doesn't make them any less real.

I used to know a woman who had an extreme fear of heights. She once went to
a conference in a large hotel. When she entered her room on the 20th floor,
she saw that there were floor to ceiling windows, and the drapes were open.
She literally had to crawl across the room to shut the drapes.

Some people manage to get over phobias, usually with psychiatric help or
through hypnotism, but some never do. Many people who don't have phobias
don't understand, and think they can talk someone out of a phobia. It can't
be done.

I think you're doing amazingly well.

Joy

Old October 17th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I try very hard with my arachnophobia, I can manage the small ones now but
realistically, the huge ones are always going to give me a problem.
No amount of studying them to try and find them interesting does any good,
just cannot stop being afraid of big spiders. I have no idea why, it's just
a fact.

You know, I have a similar revulsion about ants. I wouldn't exactly
call it fear, at least not of the very tiny ants we have here in San
Francisco. But I get goosebumps - and not the nice kind - when I think
of ants of any size.`

I decided several years ago that I was going to try to get over this
irrational reaction, so I started watching any and all nature shows that
were about ants. I did get a bit desensitized to the image of a swarm
of them, and the more I learned, the more interesting I found them.

And then I saw the show about some horrible Australian species of ant.
Name any kind of animal in the world, and I swear, Australia will have
a species that's evil and terrifying. And it didn't help that the
show (American) was narrated in a way to elicit the most shivery,
creeped-out response. My attempt to make friends with the ant totally
backfired after seeing this and I regressed to my original state.

I still try to increase the number of other insects and bugs that I
can appreciate, but I don't think the ant will ever join that group.

If it can move faster than I can, I don't want any part of it.MLB
Old October 17th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_7_]

I have always been sort of creeped out by spiders. About 11 years ago,
I worked at a water park. One day there was a huge spider at one of the
slide splashdowns. It was about 4 or 5 inches across. I killed it. A
few days later my tuxedo cat IKE disappeared. Karma? I never kill
spiders any more. When I see one in the house, I carefully capture it
in a jar and set it free outside. I don't know if they can survive
outside in the winter but I give them the chance.

We never get spiders in the house here, that I know of, but bless your heart
for releasing them.
I have terrified of spiders, except for the Daddy Long Legs.
Love,
Kyla

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 17th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_7_]

Any spider that is foolish enough to enter my domain gets a trip to the
Bridge. No sob stories will follow them. MLB

Amen to that MLB, except for a Daddy Long Legs, which we never see.
Love,
Kyla
Old October 17th 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_7_]

What about a Ladybug? LOL Love, Kyla

dh says if the bug of any kind is close enough to him to be sent off, then
either it is stupid and needs to be helped along to keep the quality of
the gene pool up, or it is expressing a death wish and as a good hoomin he
should help it goe, Lee

Old October 17th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

he does not discriminate between bugs, and honestly i am glad, i think its
great tweed is dealing with a phobia but i am sorry, not warm blooded and no
fur or feathers, not interested in what it lives like as long as its away
from me, Lee

Old October 17th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Kyla asked:

What about a Ladybug?

I get occasional half-dead ladybugs in the house. I leave them alone.