Taurine supplements

Old January 23rd 13, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Taurine supplements

I am thinking of getting some Taurine powder to add to Amber's food.
When I make my lunch, both cats demand some of the deli turkey and when
I have chicken for supper they demand some of that too. The result is
that Amber doesn't eat as much cat food as she should. I'm happy to
see her eat but I'm worried that she won't get as much Taurine as she
needs.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old January 23rd 13, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/23/2013 11:18 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am thinking of getting some Taurine powder to add to Amber's food.
When I make my lunch, both cats demand some of the deli turkey and when
I have chicken for supper they demand some of that too. The result is
that Amber doesn't eat as much cat food as she should. I'm happy to
see her eat but I'm worried that she won't get as much Taurine as she
needs.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Simple solution. Don't feed her "people food". Yeah, she might turn
her nose up but she will eventually eat if you switch her back to canned
cat food. Of course I'm not a vet and I don't know of any health issues
she might have.

Jill
Old January 23rd 13, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
On 1/23/2013 11:18 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am thinking of getting some Taurine powder to add to Amber's food.
When I make my lunch, both cats demand some of the deli turkey and when
I have chicken for supper they demand some of that too. The result is
that Amber doesn't eat as much cat food as she should. I'm happy to
see her eat but I'm worried that she won't get as much Taurine as she
needs.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Simple solution. Don't feed her "people food". Yeah, she might turn
her nose up but she will eventually eat if you switch her back to canned
cat food. Of course I'm not a vet and I don't know of any health issues
she might have.

Jill

Fortunately my cats (due to lack of exposure) don't even LIKE "people
food"! I remember the first time I served Cornish Game Hen for a
holiday dinner. The recipe specified one hen per person, which seemed
rather a lot, but I figured I could feed the left-overs to the cats.
After dinner I carefully removed the meat from the bones (cognizant of
the perils of cooked poultry bones for pets) and filled their dishes
with it. All three of my clowder sniffed at it, turned up their little
noses, and wouldn't so much as sample it!
Old January 23rd 13, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I am thinking of getting some Taurine powder to add to Amber's food.
When I make my lunch, both cats demand some of the deli turkey and when
I have chicken for supper they demand some of that too. The result is
that Amber doesn't eat as much cat food as she should. I'm happy to
see her eat but I'm worried that she won't get as much Taurine as she
needs.

If she is not ill and you are not trying to get her to eat, stop doing it
and give her proper cat food. If she is ill your vet could give you a
taurine supplement.
Tweed

Old January 24th 13, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/23/2013 4:02 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

The first time I had to pill Persia the vet said get a can or pouch of
water packed "people tuna" and give her a little bit with the pill
hidden inside. So I tried that. Persia sniffed at the tuna and looked
at me like I was crazy.

Jill
Old January 24th 13, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Last summer when I had to pill Tiger for a week (antibiotic) I would
grind the pill into a powder and mix it with Chicken of the Sea tuna
water. Tiger would clean the plate.

Old January 24th 13, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/24/2013 10:59 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
Last summer when I had to pill Tiger for a week (antibiotic) I would
grind the pill into a powder and mix it with Chicken of the Sea tuna
water. Tiger would clean the plate.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

(I do wish you'd quote posts, Mike. Not everyone's newsreader sorts the
same as yours.)

I'm glad Tiger liked the tuna. Persia doesn't even care for fishy
canned cat food. Like your Amber, she wants the poultry. But I don't
feed her people food.

I've had to pill Persia many times over the years. Shortly after she
first adopted me she started getting bladder infections. Then the vet
discovered a small bladder tumor. It was benign but required surgery so
yes, antibiotics were prescribed. Not even canned water packed chicken
worked then.

I learned a method of pilling her (possibly on this ng, might have been
from a vet) that worked. The key was to get her into my lap. Not a
problem, she's a lap cat. Then use one arm to hold her firmly against
your body. Gently pry open her mouth and with the other hand pop in the
pill. Then hold the jaw closed and blow a puff of air on her nose. It
causes cats to reflexively swallow. It works! The trick is being able
to hold onto the cat. LOL

Greenie's Pill Pockets work well as long as the cat doesn't catch on
there is a pill hidden inside. Oooh, a treat! But... Persia figured it
out after a couple of days and ate the "treat" around the pill.

Jill

Food supplements ---MIKE--- Cat anecdotes 0 October 5th 09 12:20 AM
Taurine for humans Barry Cat health & behaviour 2 June 25th 07 01:55 AM
Cat supplements Ken Knecht Cat health & behaviour 0 May 6th 07 05:14 PM
Taurine Mary Cat health & behaviour 10 March 16th 05 01:55 AM
taurine and microwave Aquagrrl Cat health & behaviour 4 February 29th 04 08:34 PM