New Female feral tale - long but abbreviated

Old November 2nd 05, 03:29 PM
ShirleyB

Default New Female feral tale - long but abbreviated

I've posted about my Rexie, 3 yrs, feral, Siamese, spoiled as sin, came to us at
4 wks. On a diet, yadda, yadda . . .

This is new about another cat.

During August, weeks of 105+ temps, Calif so no rain. This stray female started
coming to my porch. Didn't want to deal with her as I have Rexie, indoor,
spoiled, etc.

But she was starving and so dehydrated she could hardly meow. Started putting
out water. Friendly, loving. Didn't seem feral. I started feeding when she'd
come to porch. Didn't just leave food out. Didn't want other cats to come (not
stingy, just didn't want them hanging around).

Couple weeks went by. I'm hooked. Hubby out on porch one morning says, uh oh,
family way! I manage to get her into a box and take to vet, yep pregnant.
Figure when she has kits I'll grab her, get her spayed. But vet sys they can
spay her even now! Hadn't wanted to ask, but it would avoid unwanted kits. Paid
for spaying, kept her in garage for 3 days til well, released. She disappeared
for a few days and started coming back for food.

TWO WEEKS LATER, I went out on porch to leave her food and there are three kits
sitting there with her, just looking at me. Took pic to vet, she estimated about
4 wks old. Two days later, 2 more turned up (5).

Left them outdoors (figured they'd obviously been used to it), made shelter of
boxes and blanket, fed and watered, took the one boy (4 girls) to the vet for a
wound and ended up giving antibiotics for two weeks.

Found homes (at about 8 weeks) for the four girls. Boy wasn't cuddly, he spit
and hissed so no one wanted him.

(As an aside, turns out there are two older kits, previous litter, in neighbors
back yard (it's a jungle, weeds six feet high, etc) and the kits have shelter.
He doesn't feed and doesn't give a crap, so I feed them too.)

So we've adopted the boy of the five kits, tho still looking for a home. Rexie
hates him, blah, blah. He's personality plus and a typical little boy, mischief
ball. We've named him Loki, the Norse god of discord and mischief.

I've been advised by vet and shelters to keep him inside all the time and
gradually separate him from Mama, get him used to us as 'parents' so he'll
gentle down and maybe become adoptable.

I'M ALMOST DONE! ANYWAY . . . Mama still hangs out, still feeding her. She's
still friendly. I think she realizes I did her a favor, altho I'm sure she
misses the kits. She isn't interested in the two from next door, tho I'm sure
they're hers, they look like Loki.

I was letting Mom in a bit at first after the 4 girls went cause Loki was lonely
and still wanted comfort nursing. But she intimidates the crap out of Rexie and
if she's there, he's really mean to Loki. She likes being outside, cause when I
let her in, even if it's cold, she'll get restless and want back out.

But I feel guilty having given her kits away and keeping Loki from her, so I go
sit with her, give her scritches (she's a total purring machine) and keep her
company.

BUT I FEEL GUILTY!!!

Here are some pix of him at Webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/album/485519812EYwKMs

--
ShirleyB, Rexie's Mom
To Reply by email: remove 'nick'

Pictures of His Majesty, Rex are at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/255873683SwWQZJ

Old November 2nd 05, 04:00 PM
Adrian

ShirleyB wrote:
snip
I was letting Mom in a bit at first after the 4 girls went cause Loki
was lonely and still wanted comfort nursing. But she intimidates the
crap out of Rexie and if she's there, he's really mean to Loki. She
likes being outside, cause when I let her in, even if it's cold,
she'll get restless and want back out.

But I feel guilty having given her kits away and keeping Loki from
her, so I go sit with her, give her scritches (she's a total purring
machine) and keep her company.

BUT I FEEL GUILTY!!!

Here are some pix of him at Webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/album/485519812EYwKMs

That needs a KF warning! Loki is so cute, I wish I could adopt him.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 2nd 05, 04:06 PM
Karen

Gosh they are awfully cute. I bet if you just continue as you are, letting
her in during bad weather and such, Rexie will get over it all. I think you
are doing a good job. Loki is awfully cute.

Old November 2nd 05, 04:51 PM
Jane

Here are some pix of him at Webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/album/485519812EYwKMs

They're adorable! I can see why you fell in love.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita
Old November 2nd 05, 05:41 PM
Irulan

oh, they're all adorable, especially Loki. I hope he becomes domesticated
enough for someone to home him forever, if you don't keep him.
Lily & her mama
Jazz, RB

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old November 3rd 05, 06:17 AM
Marina

ShirleyB wrote:

Here are some pix of him at Webshots:

He and his siblings and their mother are all adorable, but that girl
with the stripes along her back... if I was anywhere near you, I'd adopt
her on the spot. If she wasn't adopted already, of course. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old November 3rd 05, 07:07 AM
ShirleyB

She was the second to go. I think they named her after some actress, cause they
said it looked like she had eyeliner on!

Marina eloquently related the following on 11/2/2005 9:17 PM: