TV show about cats

Old January 9th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default TV show about cats

The Martha Stewart show on Monday, Jan. 11 is going to be all about
cats.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old January 9th 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
The Martha Stewart show on Monday, Jan. 11 is going to be all about
cats.

I don't care for Martha, but she does have some really lovely cats.
So thanks for the heads up.

Jo

Old January 12th 10, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`

"Jofirey"

"---MIKE---"

The Martha Stewart show on Monday, Jan. 11 is going to be all about
cats.

I don't care for Martha, but she does have some really lovely cats. So
thanks for the heads up.

Jo

Darn it, I missed it I don't like Martha either but..
Do you ever watch the TV show on Sat called Cats 101?
It's either on The History Channel or The Learning Channel and it is so
funny.
I learned, for instance, how the Maine Coon got to be here G

Love,
Kyla

Old January 13th 10, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Kyla `=^..^=`" wrote in message

"Jofirey"

"---MIKE---"

The Martha Stewart show on Monday, Jan. 11 is going to be all
about
cats.

I don't care for Martha, but she does have some really lovely
cats. So thanks for the heads up.

Jo

Darn it, I missed it I don't like Martha either but..
Do you ever watch the TV show on Sat called Cats 101?
It's either on The History Channel or The Learning Channel and it
is so funny.
I learned, for instance, how the Maine Coon got to be here G

There were some lovely cats on the show. Many audience members
brought their cats to the show as well. One really lovely BIG Maine
coon boy. As well as an orange tom that gave the resident vet a
really hard time. They said he was available (the orange cat) to
anyone that wanted to take him.

It bothered me that Martha's two newest cats are as I understood it a
new type of calico dominant Persian. Yes they were pretty and
interesting. Now I appreciate purebred livestock and companion
animals, really I do. But as I understand it, calico's are the
result of a slight genetic defect and will only show up on female
cats. Do we really want or need another new breed, especially one
based on a genetic flaw and where only one sex of kitten is likely to
be of any value?

Jo

Old January 13th 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"Kyla `=^..^=`" wrote:

Do you ever watch the TV show on Sat called Cats 101?
It's either on The History Channel or The Learning Channel and it
is so funny.

That's on Animal Planet. I think I've seen all of them (there are 3 or
4 one-hour shows on this subject). I loved the section on the Egyptian
Mau. What a cutie! The cat featured was a show cat who was about to do
a timed obstacle run, but instead of beginning the race, she was wandering
around, rubbing up against stuff or rolling on the floor, etc. Her human
trainer kept saying, "Lola..." (I think that was her name), "Come on, Lola,
time to run the course..." Eventually she gave up trying to get the kitty
to run the race. She had a good sense of humor about it, and said something
like, "You know what it is? I think she's decided to retire, she just
didn't send me the memo."

(Oh, I remember now - the cat's name was *Anya*. Yes, I've seen this
segment more than once. )

Jofirey wrote:

But as I understand it, calico's are the
result of a slight genetic defect and will only show up on female
cats. Do we really want or need another new breed, especially one
based on a genetic flaw and where only one sex of kitten is likely to
be of any value?

Is this actually a flaw? I thought it was just that the orange and black
genes are on the the X chromosome, so in order to have both, a cat has
to have two X's, hence it's a female-only characteristic. I think that's
normal, not a mutation. On the other hand, a male calico/tortie would
have to be an XXY, which *is* a flaw. Is that what you're thinking of?

Agreed on the issue of only one sex being of value, though!

Joyce

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.