Urgent purrs needed please

Old May 11th 12, 09:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

Default Urgent purrs needed please - Not so good news today

Purrs on the way

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old May 11th 12, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

I just wanted to send out a general thank you to everyone that is
purring and praying for Kotyo. I noticed that some people's posts are
not showing up in my newsreader (I only saw them when I was browsing the
newsgroup with Google Groups). So if I have missed thanking anyone
personally for the purrs and good wishes, I want to do so now. Your
support makes a huge difference, and being able to talk about what is
going on with Kotyo is one of the few things that is keeping me from
losing it. And I can't lose it - I need to be strong so that I can get
him through this.

The purrs are having an effect. Kotyo has eaten 3 times today already
(and it's only 2pm here). He has gone through about 2/3 of a 90gr (3
oz?) can of a very stinky tuna cat food. It is not enough - his ideal
weight is 6 kg, so normally he would eat maybe 2 cans of that size per
day. But, it is a very good amount for a cat that had not had anything
but syringe feeding for 3 days, and then didn't eat more than a couple
of mouthfuls yesterday.

He seems to be breathing so much better, too. No more "burps", no
wheezing or little hitches in his breath. He is still getting air
bubbles under his skin, and we are trying to massage them away as much
as he'll let us. Since he's feeling better, he is not as easy to manhandle.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old May 11th 12, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 10 May 2012 22:55:54 +0200, "Nadia N."

We will wait until Monday or Tuesday to see if this will help and allow
the trachea to seal itself shut again. If it doesn't work, though, they
would have to operate, even though the chances are not good :-(

My poor little monster looks awful with all these tubes and stuff in him
:-( Sweety took one look at him when he got home, then she hissed and
ran away. And he is still not eating, but the surgeon said not to force
him because we should not stress him out. I am hoping that once the
anesthesia wears off a bit, he might get hungry, now that he doesn't
have a big cushion of air pressing on his throat...

If you still have any spare purrs, we would all appreciate them.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety

Oh, I've missed this until now. Full purrs coming your way.
Old May 11th 12, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Default Urgent purrs needed please - Kotyo is eating again!!!

It is amazing what a difference getting all that air out from under his
skin has made. He has eaten an entire 90 gr (3 oz) can of tuna, he took
a couple of drinks of chicken broth and water, and he actually asked for
some of Sweety's turkey wet food at dinner time! I kept offering him
food every 3-4 hours throughout the day, and he ate some of it each
time, but tonight was the first time that he *asked* for food on his
own, and the first time he took a drink from his water bowl without me
offering it.

He also purred for me a couple of times while I was massaging air
bubbles out of his skin. He seems to be feeling sooo much better!

I am going to have to give him his antibiotic shots over the weekend
because the vet's office is closed. That will be an interesting
experience. Today he swiped and hissed at the vet when he tried to give
him the shot. That's another sign that he is better :-) I have only
given a kitty a shot once before, and now I have to do 4 shots in 2
days... Scary... But on the other hand it is better than dragging him to
the vet every day, which stresses him out.

Oh, and I finally got the results of Kotyo's biopsy. It was a mast cell
tumor, and the biopsy showed that they managed to remove it with clean
margins - i.e. there were no cancer cells along the edges of the tissue
that they removed. This means that it has not spread, and there is a 90%
chance that it will not come back. Pretty much all the info online about
cutaneous mast cell tumors says that are considered almost benign, as
long as they can be removed with clean margins. So that is more good
news for today.

This whole thing started with the tumor. After the endoscopy yesterday
the vet is completely certain that Kotyo's trachea was damaged by the
anesthesia tube during surgery to remove the tumor. The vet is taking
responsibility for it, which is good. He also didn't charge us for the
visit or the antibiotics today, which I suppose is the least he could
do, but still - not every vet would have done it.

All in all, today has been a good day for Kotyo. Thank you all for the
purrs - they are definitely working.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety

Old May 12th 12, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Nadia N." wrote in message
[...]

It's good that your vet has taken responsibilty for damaging his trachea and
nearly killing him. You should be excused from any vet bills to put it
right.
I would be having a serious conversation if my vet was yours.
Boyfie has a very small purr but it's coming for your boy.

Tweed

Old May 12th 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
Thanks for the good news. Keep it coming!

--
Joy

I agree! This is a very positive sign. I'll keep Persia revved up for
Kotyo's continued recovery.

Jill

Old May 12th 12, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Default Urgent purrs needed please - today was a good day, mostly (don'tread if you have a problem with needles)

Kotyo seems to be feeling pretty good. He has eaten normally, is
drinking, and has used the litterbox (only to pee - I guess he still
doesn't have enough in his tummy for anything else). He has also tried
multiple times to chew off the bandage over an IV needle they left in
his front paw, and to pull the stitches holding his chest tube in place.

Everything was great until it came time for me to give him his
antibiotic shots. I watched a bunch of videos showing how it's done, I
read about it, but actually doing it is not the same thing. I managed to
do the first shot more or less ok, but for the second shot, I think the
needle was not as sharp, or maybe it was bigger, and it would just not
go in. I had to poke him 2-3 times. Poor Kotyo started trying to get
away, and cried out a couple of times. Finally I managed to stick the
needle in and push the plunger, and I let him go. He ran off, and he was
trying to scratch the back of his neck where I gave him the shot.

About an hour after the shot, I went to pet him and tried to touch his
neck where I gave the shot, and he flinched, and then started scratching
there again. He kept doing it for over 10 minutes, and I got scared and
called the vet's emergency number. I was told that if I had hurt him
with the 2nd injection, he would just have some irritation there for a
while, but it is not really dangerous. He did stop scratching after a
while, but now I don't dare touch him there again. And I can't massage
air bubbles out of his skin on that side...

We are not going to be repeating this shot-giving debacle tomorrow. One
of the antibiotics he was given can be taken orally, so the vet said
that I can do that, and just not give the other shot.

So, today has mostly been a good day for Kotyo, except that he has a
sore, itchy neck now. My poor baby.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old May 12th 12, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Christina Websell wrote:

It's good that your vet has taken responsibilty for damaging his trachea and
nearly killing him. You should be excused from any vet bills to put it
right.
I would be having a serious conversation if my vet was yours.
Boyfie has a very small purr but it's coming for your boy.

Tweed

Thanks Tweed. Boyfie's purrs are very much appreciated.

I can't really think about the vet's responsibility right now. Once my
little monster is better, then we'll see. He is a good vet, very gentle
with Kotyo, he takes the time to explain things, and he seems to keep up
to date on new information. He's been practicing for over 15 years. This
was obviously the first time he's had a tracheal perforation case. And
I'm not surprised - from what I read online, these cases are very rare.
So I don't feel that he is to blame - I don't think he was negligent or
did something badly. He did his best, but sometimes bad things just happen.

All I can focus on right now is on willing Kotyo to get better.
Everything else can wait.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old May 12th 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

jmcquown wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
Thanks for the good news. Keep it coming!

--
Joy

I agree! This is a very positive sign. I'll keep Persia revved up for
Kotyo's continued recovery.

Jill

Thank you Jill and Joy. He seems to be improving, so the purrs are working.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety