About to adopt a shelter Manx

Old December 18th 03, 10:55 PM
Meghan

Default About to adopt a shelter Manx

Hi All,

I have put in an application to adopt a 1 year old shelter kitty - who
happens to be Manx. He has no tail whatsoever, not even a stump. I had no
intentions of getting anything other than just a cat from a shelter. I have
done a bit of research on this breed and am concerned. While I was visiting
him at the shelter, there was some residue poop on his behind which got all
over me. In my research I found that this is common? in the breed. I've
read they can also have hip problems?

His personality is so sweet. I have 4 other cats so it's not that I've
never had dirty butt problems before, but am I in for an "every day for the
next 15 years" thing?

I haven't even gotten into the concerns I have about the introductions. Oh
boy, I am so nervous!! Any advice, suggestions or anyone who has 1st hand
experience with Manx cats please let me know. I've read some of the group
archives, but it can get pretty overwhelming.

Thanks,
Meghan

Old December 18th 03, 11:22 PM
Gandalf

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:55:57 GMT, "Meghan" wrote:

[...]

Check thus URL:

http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/manx-faq.html

Lots of good info there. I didn't see anything about what you described, though.

~~~~~~
Life without cats would be only marginally worth living.
TC and the unmercifully, relentlessly sweet calico kitty, Kenzie.

- Robert Heinlein

Old December 19th 03, 04:15 PM
Yngver

"Meghan" wrote:

I have put in an application to adopt a 1 year old shelter kitty - who
happens to be Manx. He has no tail whatsoever, not even a stump. I had no
intentions of getting anything other than just a cat from a shelter. I have
done a bit of research on this breed and am concerned.

Not all cats born without a tail are Manx cats--it's a random mutation that can
also occur in non-purebred cats. I'm not sure whether a completely tailless cat
necessarily has the Manx gene. The gene for taillessness in the Japanese
Bobtail, for example, does not carry spinal defects as the Manx one does.

While I was visiting
him at the shelter, there was some residue poop on his behind which got all
over me. In my research I found that this is common? in the breed. I've
read they can also have hip problems?

Yes, the Manx gene can predispose a cat for a number of such problems. However,
responsible Manx breeders do not breed cats with genetic deformities (other
than taillessness).

His personality is so sweet. I have 4 other cats so it's not that I've
never had dirty butt problems before, but am I in for an "every day for the
next 15 years" thing?

Possibly, but it might also be that the cat is under stress at the shelter and
not grooming so well.

Is the shelter sure the taillessness is genetic, or could it possibly be that
this cat lost its tail in an accident?

Old December 19th 03, 08:36 PM
Sharon Talbert

Why not give the guy a chance? After all, life is a crap shoot (so to
speak).

We have a rumpy in our household (a feral-born) who has occasional "static
cling" on her behind, but the rectum seems to function ok. She is more
than 2 years now and doing fine. Considering she is more of a cymric than
a manx, she is doing very well indeed (she is long-haired as well as
absolutely tailess).

For any shelter rescue, an immediate trip to the vet is in order.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Old December 20th 03, 01:52 PM
Meghan

Yes we did end up taking this little guy in. His name is Joey, because he
reminds me so much of a little kangaroo (minus the tail!) All he wants to
do is snuggle. I believe his tail-lessness is genetic because his brother
had the same trait. He was very stressed out at the shelter, and we have
had no problems with him except he has an upper respiratory infection, for
which he has already seen a vet. Now it's just quarantine time until he
gets better, and then the introductions...

Meghan

ink.net...