Christmas gifts for cat owners?

Old November 7th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike S.

Default Christmas gifts for cat owners?

It's that time of year where I need to be thinking about buying
Christmas gifts for those "hard to shop for" people (the ones who
already have everything). I've got three relatives who have cats and I
was thinking about buying a cat related present or something for the
cats. I have several cats myself but I'm having trouble finding
anything these people or their cats might like. Any ideas on what to
get? I can spend only $20-$30 per person (or cat).

Some ideas I had:
a cardboard cat scratcher with catnip (my cats love these)
Purr Padd (my cats like these too)
donating to an animal charity

Other those I can't think of anything. Or to be more specific, I can't
think of anything for these specific people and/or cats.

Old November 7th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Mike S. wrote:
It's that time of year where I need to be thinking about buying
Christmas gifts for those "hard to shop for" people (the ones who
already have everything). I've got three relatives who have cats and I
was thinking about buying a cat related present or something for the
cats. I have several cats myself but I'm having trouble finding
anything these people or their cats might like. Any ideas on what to
get? I can spend only $20-$30 per person (or cat).

Some ideas I had:
a cardboard cat scratcher with catnip (my cats love these)
Purr Padd (my cats like these too)
donating to an animal charity

I think donating to an animal charity is a wonderful idea. Your local
shelter might have a sponsor-an-animal program, where you could give
the information about the sponsor animal to the recipient. Or you could
donate to a national charity like the Humane Society of the United
States.

Old November 8th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike S.

Rene S. wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
[...]

I do know that the one relative donates to the Humane Society. But I
was thinking of maybe donating to someplace that researches and finds
cures for cat illnesses. The relative's cat has an uncommon illness so
I thought maybe it would be nice to donate to someplace that would most
likely do research on that illness. The problem is that I don't know of
any organizations that do that. The only place I know of is a
veterinary college in my state.

I just feel a little strange donating to a charity as someone's
Christmas present. I guess because no one I know has ever done that
before. Of course, it's a lot better than giving them some useless
gift. Over the past several years they've been given numerous gifts by
family and friends that they don't use or have never opened. Things
from CDs and DVDs to kitchen appliances. At least the money donated
would be put to use instead of being put into a gift that spends years
sitting in the closet untouched. But it still seems strange.

Old November 8th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

[...]

Don't think of it as strange. I've given gifts to charity for friends
and they all loved the idea. You can often get a nice card or printout
announcing your gift. It will certainly do more good than unopened DVDs
or appliances.

If you're interested in a place that does research, why not something
like Cornell's veterinary college? Or a UW school with a vet program?
They would all appreciate the support.

Old November 8th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On 7 Nov 2006 21:47:58 -0800, "Mike S."

I just feel a little strange donating to a charity as someone's
Christmas present. I guess because no one I know has ever done that
before. Of course, it's a lot better than giving them some useless
gift. Over the past several years they've been given numerous gifts by
family and friends that they don't use or have never opened. Things
from CDs and DVDs to kitchen appliances. At least the money donated
would be put to use instead of being put into a gift that spends years
sitting in the closet untouched. But it still seems strange.

I use freecycle.org for the things that I end up with that I don't
need.
Old November 8th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Have a yard sale of all the junk and unused items you have than what does
not sell donate to a charity. Take the money and donate to a local animal
shelter or call and ask what they could use. Like these folks who took up
the slack when the shelter I sponsored was forced to close due to political
BS. http://www.petrescuebyjudy.com/

This is a little of topic but there are US service men and women who have no
one back homeand they could use some items for the Christmas holidays.
Operations like www.operationtroopbox.com send items. I know these local
folk real well they do a wonderful job sending items to our troops

Old November 10th 06, 07:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Mike S." wrote in message
ups.com...

Rene S. wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
[...]

I have occasionally given gifts in honor of someone (both as Christmas and
as birthday gifts), and the same has been done for me. However, I do ask
the person first if they would like that gift because it really isn't a
"gift" if it is something I like but the "recipient" doesn't. I evenhad a
former student donate in my honor, and I truly felt honored.

MaryL