Ding Dong the Witch is Gone! (OT and long)

Old September 24th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Ding Dong the Witch is Gone! (OT and long)

I just found out from a friend who works at the company where I used to work
that the woman who fired me after 11 years received the same treatment.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't like it when anyone loses their job. But
this woman pillaged and plundered her way through the 4 departments she was
over in IT*, firing people right and left or otherwise making their lives so
miserable they jumped ship.

She then moved on to a lofty position on the 3rd floor, which is where the
bigwigs reside. Corner office, all those happy horse apples. Apparently
her style didn't go over quite so well up there.

At this company, if you're fired the euphemism is so-and-so has been "given
the opportunity to pursue interests elsewhere". Apparently this past
summer, she was "given the opportunity". Can you say Karma? LOL

However, I am not simply posting this to gloat over the fact that she got a
dose of her own medicine. I was contacted by a job recruiter just before my
trip to ask if I'd like to go back to work there. I explained to her we
parted under less than favourable circumstances. (I also informed her of
the trip I couldn't cancel at that point.) She checked with her account
manager, the talked with her contact at the company. The long and short of
it is they would like to schedule an interview with me!

Two rays of sunshine but then another cloud. When I returned home from my
trip I had a message from my brother saying he was going to the emergency
room due to a feeling of tightness in his chest. They ran some tests. His
CT scan showed a mass in his lung several centimeters wide. They can't get
at it via a needle biopsy, so he's going in for surgery on Wednesday, 9/26.
They will remove the mass using video laproscopic something-or-other and
send it for testing to see if it's cancerous. Barring complications, he'll
be in the hospital 2-3 days.

So I relayed this information to the job recruiter, saying I really don't
know what's going on. My concern is, would it be fair for me to interview
and then if I get the job suddenly have to take time off to deal with a
critical family health issue?

First things first. She contacted the company and explained about his
surgery and the uncertain outcome. They graciously said they'd interview me
at my earliest convenience (assuming the position hadn't been filled).
That's very nice of them. I'll be touching base with her after his surgery
on Wednesday so she can keep them apprised.

So, I'm happy Karma came around for this woman and hopefully she learned
something from it. And there's a remote possibility I could go back to work
for the company I devoted so much of my time to. According to my friend who
still works there, there are very few people left that I knew, but the ones
who are left are the ones I loved to work with!

Jill

*No idea why this woman had any sort of authority in IT, let alone as much
authority as she did. She did not have an IT background. Email was the
extent of her knowledge and heck, 5 year olds can do that these days.

Old September 24th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs for your brother and you and all who care about him. Also, purrs that
they make you an offer you don't want to refuse.

--
Joy

"If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days
of sorrow."
-Chinese Proverb

Old September 24th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bobblespin[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I just found out from a friend who works at the company where I used
to work that the woman who fired me after 11 years received the same
treatment.

snip

*No idea why this woman had any sort of authority in IT, let alone as
much authority as she did. She did not have an IT background. Email
was the extent of her knowledge and heck, 5 year olds can do that
these days.

Maybe she was sleeping with the big guys?

Hope things go well with you and your brother.
Bobble

Old September 24th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

bobblespin wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in

*No idea why this woman had any sort of authority in IT, let alone as
much authority as she did. She did not have an IT background. Email
was the extent of her knowledge and heck, 5 year olds can do that
these days.

Maybe she was sleeping with the big guys?

Ooo, low blow. Even for her.

Joyce
Old September 24th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Is there something you'd be doing for your brother during working hours that
couldn't be done by another family member? If not, I don't think I'd have
told the recruiter about this after telling her about the trip. I think
they'll probably figure you don't really want the job. And if you don't
want the job, it would be nicer to just tell the recruiter that (most on
commissions so any time they waste is like money out of their pockets).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 24th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Purrs for your brother and purrs for the job.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 24th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

If it turns out not to be benign, he'll need someone there for him to help
him out as he goes through chemo, radiation treatments, etc. My other
brother is not only rather flaky (read: not dependable), he just started a
new job himself and is on 6 months probation. He can't take time off. I'm
already not working and don't want to start a new job only to have to
suddenly ask for family leave. Does that make sense? I'd rather have a
more concrete idea of what's going on before I schedule an interview.

don't think I'd have told the recruiter about this after telling her
about the trip. I think they'll probably figure you don't really
want the job. And if you don't want the job, it would be nicer to
just tell the recruiter that (most on commissions so any time they
waste is like money out of their pockets).

The trip was scheduled and paid for since June. I couldn't cancel or John
would have been out a lot of money. I had no control over the timing of her
calling me right before I left on the trip! I go 4-5 months without anyone
responding to my resume, then suddenly, *wham*, a phone call. And yes, they
work on commissions but *only* if the applicant is hired. Trust me, my
resume is not the only one she is floating to this company.

The real benefit is I know this software already. It's proprietary. Not
like going to a store and buying Windows XP, or looking for a Microsoft
Certified person. I may be three years out of the loop but for this
position there would be a *huge* learning curve and I have the advantage
over other outside candidates. Also, this company posts from within so for
a recruiter to contact me about it indicates they didn't find already
suitable candidates from the inside.

I never said I didn't want the job. And the company said they are willing
to accomodate me regarding scheduling the interview, as long as the position
hasn't already been filled. The recruiter is a 2 year lymphoma survivor
herself so she is completely sympathetic with the worry and stress of not
knowing, as well as the issues which arise should the mass turn out to be
malignant.

Jill

Old September 25th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that does make sense. And, of course, it's not up to anyone else but
you to judge what you should do. I'm sorry your brother is having to go
through this, but I'm glad he has you to help him.

don't think I'd have told the recruiter about this after telling her
about the trip. I think they'll probably figure you don't really
want the job. And if you don't want the job, it would be nicer to
just tell the recruiter that (most on commissions so any time they
waste is like money out of their pockets).

The trip was scheduled and paid for since June. I couldn't cancel or John
would have been out a lot of money. I had no control over the timing of
her
calling me right before I left on the trip! I go 4-5 months without
anyone
responding to my resume, then suddenly, *wham*, a phone call. And yes,
they
work on commissions but *only* if the applicant is hired. Trust me, my
resume is not the only one she is floating to this company.

I totally understand not wanting to cancel your trip - on only the chance of
an interview (which might not result in a job, after all).

[...]

That's good! Again Jill, I'm sorry if my post sounded judgemental - I
didn't mean it to be.

Looking at this from another angle, this might make them even more eager to
hire you (playing hard to get is a legitmate tatic - even when you're not
playing!).

Anyway, good luck with the job, and again, purrs for a good outcome with
your brother's diagnosis.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Jill

Old September 25th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Sounds like an excellent example of "what goes around, comes around" in
her case. Many purrs and good wishes that your brother comes through
the surgery well and that you get an *excellent* job offer from the
interview!

And purrs to Persia that she won't miss her Meowmie too much while
Meowmie goes back to work!

Sam, minus Mistletoe who has decided that dinner is more important