AlphaTrak test strips

Old June 10th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

Default AlphaTrak test strips

Anyone know a low-cost source for the subject glucose test strips? The
best I've found is online at about $60 plus shipping for 50 strips.

I've read that human glucometers will work as well, and have
considered trying my own One-Touch meter, but the drop of blood from
the cat is way too smal to measure.

Old June 13th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

"cindys" wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone know a low-cost source for the subject glucose test strips? The
best I've found is online at about $60 plus shipping for 50 strips.

I've read that human glucometers will work as well, and have
considered trying my own One-Touch meter, but the drop of blood from
the cat is way too smal to measure.

-----
I'm confused. The One-Touch is the one our vet has at the office. The
Freestyle is the one I used for Alex. The amount of blood you needed was
miniscule. I got it at the drugstore for $10 (it usually costs close to $100
but it was a promotion - the manufacturer makes all his money on the test
strips as you have discovered).

I don't know what model of One-Touch your vet has, but I've used the
Ultra, and lately the Mini. They both use the same strips. The blood
drop I get from the cat's ear is far too small to fill the One-Touch
capillary.
Old June 13th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

"cindys" wrote:

I don't know what model of One-Touch your vet has, but I've used the
Ultra, and lately the Mini. They both use the same strips. The blood
drop I get from the cat's ear is far too small to fill the One-Touch
capillary.

-----------
Hmmm... Are you drawing the sample from the vein which runs around the
perimeter of the cat's ear?

His ears are now so chewed up I can't even see the vein, not even
shining a light through the hear.

Do you rub the area with vaseline first? This
helps the blood bead up.

I have no problem with the blood beading, just a problem finding it.

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest, but
I will tell you that The Freestyle I have requires about as much blood as
would fit on the head of a pin (or less).

That doesn't help me. I personally use the One-Touch and insurance
pays for the strips. If I bought a FreeStyle for the cat, I'd be in
the same boat I was in with the AlphaTrak: Paying a fortune out of
pocket for strips.

THE TED TEST!!! Stormmee Cat community 4 November 30th 05 05:34 PM
OT the test No More Retail Cat anecdotes 0 November 11th 05 04:31 AM
test W. Leong Cat anecdotes 5 August 24th 05 09:58 PM
Test PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 21 March 2nd 05 08:49 PM
test [email protected] Cat anecdotes 5 February 24th 05 07:24 PM