Flying cats

Old January 5th 04, 08:56 PM
CK

HRFLTiger wrote:
Our schedule is such, that the cats go to the USDA vet at 2pm to have
their crate officially sealed to show that it hasn't been opened
en-route to the UK, we then drop them off at Virgin cargo at 3.30pm,
and then I have a nerve wracking 10 hours!

Always thinking of the practical, I was wondering how they are going to
deal with their "Mo-om, I have to go real bad" -situations?? Is it a big
enough crate to house both food + water and a litter box??

Being such accomplished travelers, I'm sure the "Mo-om, are we nearly
there yet" won't come up that often...

Wishing you all a safe and peaceful flight across the pond.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Old January 5th 04, 11:09 PM
Brenda

"HRFLTiger" wrote in message
m...
Tomorrow, my two purr-bags (feral Pandora, and His Royal Feline
Lordship Tiger) are off to the vet to get their final pre-flight
checks before flying from the USA to the UK on Wednesday. Whilst both
are experienced travellers & flyers, they are going to be entering the
UK on pet-passports which means they don't have to do 6 months
quarantine. To say the paperwork has been a nightmare is an
understatement!

Please could they (and me) have some good thoughts and wishes that
this goes well and we arrive safely in the UK without complications?

By the time we have finished, I suspect that they will have been to
more places, and have more airmiles than many humans! So far, they've
been to Belize, Houston, Dallas and Washington DC!

Thanks
Helen M

flying purrs!
Brenda

Old January 5th 04, 11:39 PM
HRFLTiger

CK wrote in message ...

Always thinking of the practical, I was wondering how they are going to
deal with their "Mo-om, I have to go real bad" -situations?? Is it a big
enough crate to house both food + water and a litter box??

They have a huge crate that they are sharing, where they can stand up,
stretch, turn around and lie down stretched out - and whilst it
doesn't have a litter box, it does have a type of bedding called
*vet-bed* which is fleecy but absorbs *wet* so that the surface fleece
stays dry, so even if they wet the bed they won't be sitting *in* wet,
they'll always be on dry bedding as *wet* is absorbed on the bottom of
the bedding.

Experience of my guys has shown that they tend not to do anything
other than pee (if that) when in en-route.

Water, they have a big water bottle on the front of the crate, which
they the spout of (and they both know how to use) and food - they have
to wait until Heathrow when they get fed at the animal reception
center.

Being such accomplished travelers, I'm sure the "Mo-om, are we nearly
there yet" won't come up that often...

Tiger tends to curl up and go to sleep - Pandora likes to see
everything that is going on. Nosey parker that she is

Helen M
Old January 6th 04, 12:34 AM
Stacey

piggybacking

Have a wonderful trip, and remind Tiger that he can't bring any sharp
instruments on the plane!

Stacey

Old January 6th 04, 05:03 AM
badwilson

"HRFLTiger" wrote in message
om...
Victor Martinez wrote in message news:0R3Kb.54504

Ooopsss.... I missed that too. Safe travel to the three of you!!! Would
you let us know the flight number? One can track such things online (I
use expedia.com), it has a little map that shows the actual position of
the plane... it would be fun to follow...

Flight number is VS022 Virgin Atlantic from Washington Dulles to
London Heathrow. Leaving Wednesday at 19.15hrs Washington time.

Our schedule is such, that the cats go to the USDA vet at 2pm to have
their crate officially sealed to show that it hasn't been opened
en-route to the UK, we then drop them off at Virgin cargo at 3.30pm,
and then I have a nerve wracking 10 hours!

I then have to collect them at the animal reception center in
Heathrow. We'll then be going to a friends house in London, and
they'll be going to a friends cattery for a couple of days whilst I go
and collect my dog from Cardiff, and they recover from the journey
before travelling to Edinburgh.

So, as I won't be online, for a few days as I'll be travelling back to
Edinburgh, I'll ring Deb Maizels and get her to post a note to the
group that we arrived safely.

Helen M

Awww, that's too bad you can't take them in the cabin with you. But I'm
sure everything will go well. Purrs coming from me in any case.
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old January 6th 04, 05:03 AM
badwilson

"CK" wrote in message
HRFLTiger wrote:
Our schedule is such, that the cats go to the USDA vet at 2pm to have
their crate officially sealed to show that it hasn't been opened
en-route to the UK, we then drop them off at Virgin cargo at 3.30pm,
and then I have a nerve wracking 10 hours!

Always thinking of the practical, I was wondering how they are going to
deal with their "Mo-om, I have to go real bad" -situations?? Is it a big
enough crate to house both food + water and a litter box??

Oh, they can hold it for an amazingly long time. When we came over to
Thailand with Vino, I think he held it for 23 hours! We had him in the
cabin with us and I took him to the rest room with a small litterbox every
few hours, but he was too stressed to pee. But when we finally got to
Bangkok and set up the litterbox in the hotel room, boy did he pee for a
long time! You could almost hear his sigh of relief :-)

Old January 6th 04, 06:16 AM
KKat

Demon and Lucy send extra special purrs to your two purr-bags. They've made
that long flight across the big pond and know just how scary it can be.
But, they're confident that if a pair of home-bodies like them could do it,
then you're two well-traveled kitties will have no problems at all.

Missy is purring her little heart out too....but I don't think she's bright
enough to direct them to anyone in particular.

--
Kat

"You cannot move mountains if you believe them to be mountains.
You must think of them as collections of small stones,
Which can be moved one at a time, and then reassembled."
-- The Tao of Meow

http://photos.yahoo.com/kiffens

http://www.flippyscatpage.com/lifewithfurballs.html
"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"HRFLTiger" wrote in message
m...
Tomorrow, my two purr-bags (feral Pandora, and His Royal Feline
Lordship Tiger) are off to the vet to get their final pre-flight
checks before flying from the USA to the UK on Wednesday. ... So far,

they've
been to Belize, Houston, Dallas and Washington DC!

Thanks
Helen M

This will be a big move. I can see why you would be apprehensive. Your
purr-bags will be in my thoughts and prayers for a safe journey without

any
delays or cancellations. Rosie and Cinder send purrs and meatloaf
meditations for the world travelers.
Please be sure to let us know when they arrive and give them some

skritches
from me.
Annie, accompanied by Cinder

Old January 6th 04, 11:50 AM
CK

Well, I guess there are people like that too, who cannot pee in public
restrooms but wait till they are where they are going and use the
facilities in the hotel, friend's/relative's home or wherever they're
going.

But I can sure imagine the relief you get when you can finally pee after
having to had to hold it for ages. I've been in situations like that
myself. Men have less of a problem there and it's less visible when they
do their business. Us wimmin are in a more difficult position, as one
has to "moon" the whole vincinity, if forced to doing it in the open and
not in a restroom, and it just cannot be done with people around... :/