Flying feather toys

Old July 27th 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Flying feather toys

Buster is a real chewer when it comes to toys. You may remember he
chewed off the streamers of his cat dancer, and even the end of his
cat charmer.

Karen's mentioning the "Feline Flyer" toy reminded me of his latest
act of toy destruction:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Takayuki9z/P1000243as.jpg

This one really surprised me because I had gotten this toy because of
Buster's habit of eating the end of his toys - I figured that a
feathered end would stand up better to his chewing, but he targeted
the string and chewed it in half!

And he complains that I don't play with him enough. It's because he
destroys all his toys. He's a wonder to watch while playing though
- his enthusiasm in chewing is matched by his enthusiasm in
acrobatics. It's like I'm getting to watch a new episode of The
Matrix every day.

Since Buster will destroy any toy that's left out, I've been casually
looking around for a toy chest or something, perusing the baby
sections of department stores from time to time. For now, I've been
hanging his toy in the closet when not in use.

The feather toy pictured above, by the way, is called "Da Bird". It's
an excellent toy. The feather part has what seems like the combined
aerodynamics of a badminton shuttlecock and the fletchings of an
arrow. The metal clip allows the feathers to spin freely, which they
do with a whirring sound, creating lift. It's a flying toy, not so
much a dragging toy.

The feather toy that Karen recommended is similar, and it's what I'm
using with Buster now. The handle and string are shorter and thicker
than Da Bird, and the feather part is heavier too. That gives the toy
a slower action and shorter range, but it's easier to handle in a
smaller room.

Old July 27th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Takayuki" wrote in message
Buster is a real chewer when it comes to toys. You may
remember he
chewed off the streamers of his cat dancer, and even the end of
his
cat charmer.

Karen's mentioning the "Feline Flyer" toy reminded me of his
latest
act of toy destruction:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Takayuki9z/P1000243as.jpg

He did a number on that one, didn't he? One of our little
darlings did in the panic mouse while I was gone. I still need
to get something to fasten to the wand for it.

I use a spring out laundry hamper for Rob's toys, used a rattan
basket for the cats' toys and am going to buy a large trunk at
one of the craft stores to store the cats' toys in. I figure
that I can paint the thing to match whatever room I store their
stuff in. You might want to check out Pier One Imports, or one
of the second hand furniture places to see if you can find the
trunk you need. We bought a steamer trunk at a pawn shop for one
of our friends who needed one. It was sturdier than most and
cost less than a new one.

Pam S.

Old July 28th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Tanada" wrote:
I use a spring out laundry hamper for Rob's toys, used a rattan
basket for the cats' toys and am going to buy a large trunk at
one of the craft stores to store the cats' toys in. I figure
that I can paint the thing to match whatever room I store their
stuff in. You might want to check out Pier One Imports, or one
of the second hand furniture places to see if you can find the
trunk you need. We bought a steamer trunk at a pawn shop for one
of our friends who needed one. It was sturdier than most and
cost less than a new one.

The laundry hamper idea sounds good, but Rob has toys?

Old July 28th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Takayuki wrote:

"Tanada" wrote:
I use a spring out laundry hamper for Rob's toys, used a rattan
basket for the cats' toys and am going to buy a large trunk at
one of the craft stores to store the cats' toys in. I figure
that I can paint the thing to match whatever room I store their
stuff in. You might want to check out Pier One Imports, or one
of the second hand furniture places to see if you can find the
trunk you need. We bought a steamer trunk at a pawn shop for one
of our friends who needed one. It was sturdier than most and
cost less than a new one.

The laundry hamper idea sounds good, but Rob has toys?

I was wondering about that, too.

A friend of mine has one of those spring-out hampers, which is never
used for laundry - one of the cats has claimed it as his special
"hiding" place. (It's made of a mesh material and is more or less
transparent. But when he's inside it, he seems to believe he's hidden.)

Joyce
Old July 28th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Takayuki" wrote in message

The laundry hamper idea sounds good, but Rob has toys?

You don't? Actually, I bought Rob a bunch of koosh balls (a
flexible plastic ball with long spiky "hair" on it), cards, and
all sorts of things so that he could build up his right side
after his last operation. At first he could barely use his right
side and the toys were a way to help him re-learn how to use his
arm and leg muscles. Now he throws them at the kids (don't
worry, no one gets hurt, kooshes are very soft) and me when he
wants to mess with us.

Pam S.

Old July 28th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 02:59:29 -0400, Takayuki
wrote:

Buster is a real chewer when it comes to toys. You may remember he
chewed off the streamers of his cat dancer, and even the end of his
cat charmer.

Karen's mentioning the "Feline Flyer" toy reminded me of his latest
act of toy destruction:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Takayuki9z/P1000243as.jpg

That's what Silver does to her toys if they're on elastic... she took
five minutes flat to dispose of the panic mouse! I really don't
understand why they even bother to PUT cat toys on hat-elastic because
most cats will chew on it given half a chance, and it's not nearly
strong enough to stand up to a good bite or two! I bought her the
feline flyer because it was the only toy on a string that was NOT on
flimy elastic! She can chew on the braided cord as much as she likes -
she's not going to get through it...
Old July 28th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

wrote:

Buster is a real chewer when it comes to toys. You may remember he
chewed off the streamers of his cat dancer, and even the end of his
cat charmer.

Karen's mentioning the "Feline Flyer" toy reminded me of his latest
act of toy destruction:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Takayuki9z/P1000243as.jpg

That's what Silver does to her toys if they're on elastic... she took
five minutes flat to dispose of the panic mouse! I really don't
understand why they even bother to PUT cat toys on hat-elastic because
most cats will chew on it given half a chance, and it's not nearly
strong enough to stand up to a good bite or two! I bought her the
feline flyer because it was the only toy on a string that was NOT on
flimy elastic! She can chew on the braided cord as much as she likes -
she's not going to get through it...

Good lord. You people need rawhide cat toys!

The Flying Leap Karen Cat anecdotes 2 June 20th 06 03:26 AM
The Flying Leap Chakolate Cat anecdotes 0 June 20th 06 02:43 AM
The Flying Leap [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 June 19th 06 08:48 PM
The Flying Leap sandra Cat anecdotes 0 June 19th 06 08:35 PM
Buddha and the Feather Duster Mary Cat health & behaviour 8 July 2nd 04 02:09 AM