Male cat FLUTD UTI problems

Old March 4th 10, 02:06 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stormmee

Default Male cat FLUTD UTI problems

i agree about not using the old pills but i DO NOT agree on the wet only
option, if you can switch him and that is what your vet reccommends fine,
but my tiger was so bad we thought we would lose him, he has now been
crystal/infection free for over five years on a diet of dry c/d and is
healtheir than ever. Lee
"Rene" wrote in message
1. Please don't give old medication to this cat. It's not safe.
Doxycycline especially is known to cause esophogial erosion. You may
end up spending more money in the long run just to save some money
now.

2. If you want to prevent further urinary problems, this cat NEEDS to
be on wet food. No other solution. You CAN transition this cat. I did
it myself with a former dry addict myself. It will take some patience
and a commitment on your part, but it is in the best interest of your
cat to do this. Here are some tips:
http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

As for brands, there are several good options. Some have mentioned
Wellness and that's a great food. Nature's Variety and Innova Evo are
other excellent choices. You can also try a commercially made raw
diet. Again, lots of good choices there including Nature's Variety and
Stella & Chewy's (I have fed/feed both).

No dry food, prescription or otherwise, is going to help. This cat
needs more moisture, and cats just can't drink enough to make up what
they don't get in their diet.

You asked us here to both (a) help your cat and (b) save money
overall. Switching to wet food will do this. No, it's not easy (I've
been there), but you CAN do it.

Old March 4th 10, 02:07 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stormmee

you could seperate them, at least until you are sure he is eatig his share,
soft
"jamina1" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 12:03 am, "Kelly Greene" wrote:
"jamina1" wrote in message

Feed only as much wet food as he'll eat in 20 minutes or so. Refrigerate
the rest.

What do I do when I have to leave for work? I have two cats - one will
eat anything I put in front of her, and Wallace, the one who is ill is
the one who will only eat dry. If I leave wet food out all day, Pagan,
my other cat will eat ALL of it and Wallace will die from Liver
failure because he isn't eating the wet. I understand the need to get
more water into the cat, but I don't know how it will work out when
one cat will chow down through any wet food I leave down.

Old March 4th 10, 02:11 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stormmee

and let me repeat you should be consulting your vet on all of this, its fine
even good that you see differeing advice here but you really need to do all
of this with the consult of a vet, soft
Suddenly, without warning, jamina1 exclaimed (3/3/2010 6:38 PM):
"jamina1" wrote in message

Feed only as much wet food as he'll eat in 20 minutes or so.
Refrigerate
the rest.

What do I do when I have to leave for work? I have two cats - one will
eat anything I put in front of her, and Wallace, the one who is ill is
the one who will only eat dry. If I leave wet food out all day, Pagan,
my other cat will eat ALL of it and Wallace will die from Liver
failure because he isn't eating the wet. I understand the need to get
more water into the cat, but I don't know how it will work out when
one cat will chow down through any wet food I leave down.

If you're only giving them food for 20 minutes at a time... feed them
first, separated. Go about your morning routine. Pick up any leftover
food and refrigerate it. Go to work.

I understand where you're coming from - I was in denial and made excuses
for a while too - but truly, wet food is the best thing for your cats.
You're going to need to make some changes, but with time and patience it
can be done.

Is your convenience more important than your cat's health? I expect not.

The methods in the link provided:

http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

Worked for Meep. She's *still* a dedicated carbivore, constantly hopes
for dry food, but she eats her wet food every night, and every day now,
cleans it up. We went through a period of time where she was a bit
underweight and would eat little or none of the food, but over time this
changed.

One trick I used was to sprinkle just a couple kibbles on top of the wet
food, especially if she hadn't eaten the previous batch - she'd eat the
kibble then because she was hungry, couldn't stop herself and would start
eating the wet food.

You may have to try a lot of different brands of wet food. To start, it
doesn't matter if it's "good" or not. If the only thing he'll it is
Whiskas to start, then so be it. Try Fancy Feast - Meep will eat any
variety that has liver or giblets in it.

I do hope you'll think about the advice you're getting here, and commit to
changing your cat's diet. It really will improve his health, and is very
likely to lessen, or eliminate, his UTI episodes.

You're getting advice from folks who've been through this - Meep had her
first cystitis attach at 7, continued to have them every 2-4 months while
I made excuses why I couldn't switch her to wet, then the frequency
increased as she went more and more to a wet diet. She's been cystitis
free (except for 1 episode where I'd added dry back to her diet, for less
than a month) for nearly 4 years now.

jmc

Old March 4th 10, 02:13 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stormmee

another thing i disagree about, free feeding in a good house allows the cat
to feel secure, and keeps them from over eating when you go away for a
couple of days and leave extra about, soft
"jamina1" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 12:03 am, "Kelly Greene" wrote:
"jamina1" wrote in message

Your cat is already
obese from a dry free-fed diet and suffering from UTI's. Give it up and
switch to wet food for the sake of the cat.

To be fair, the cat was obese when I got him 6 months ago, and I've
only ever fed him regimented feeding times and natural food. Free
feeding is bad, but please don't blame me for that.

Old March 4th 10, 03:44 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jamina1

My only problem with this suggestion is what if he doesn't eat ANY of
the food in 20 minutes? Then I starve him for the rest of the day
while I'm at work? And if he refuses to touch it again at night?

I've been through this also - a completely healthy cat decided to stop
eating for 24 hours for no reason and by the time I noticed she was
YELLOW because her liver had failed. Perfectly curable sure, but we
had to let her go because the $2000 vet bill was going to be
unfathomable.
He's already ill, I can't risk starving him to death as well.

Old March 4th 10, 08:04 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Mar 4, 8:44*am, jamina1 wrote:
My only problem with this suggestion is what if he doesn't eat ANY of
the food in 20 minutes? Then I starve him for the rest of the day
while I'm at work? And if he refuses to touch it again at night?

I've been through this also - a completely healthy cat decided to stop
eating for 24 hours for no reason and by the time I noticed she was
YELLOW because her liver had failed. Perfectly curable sure, but we
had to let her go because the $2000 vet bill was going to be
unfathomable.
He's already ill, I can't risk starving him to death as well.

No one here is suggesting you starve your cat, but it is important
that he eats a decent amount of the food so to prevent liver problems.
You may need to coax him into eating at first--warming the food,
adding a little chicken broth on top, tricks like that. You may even
need to offer three smaller meals at first. The goal is to have two
feedings per day, about 12 hours apart.

I also agree with feeding them in separate rooms. We have three cats,
and one is a food hog, so he is shut inside a room for 20-23 minutes
(while I get ready for work) so he doesn't eat the other cats' food.
Old March 5th 10, 10:42 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"jamina1" wrote in message
I have a male cat, neutered - probably about 3-5 years old. He's been
happy and healthy these 8 months that I have owned him, but suddenly
two weeks ago he started peeing much more frequently and then taking
forever at the box. I knew this was a UTI so I took him in.

Vet did urinalysis and determined that there were crystals in the
urine. Vet also gave me 10 days of Baytril to administer. Vet provided
24 cans of Royal Canin urine health food. My cat refused to touch the
stuff.

As a bit of a back story, cat has been eating holistic food the whole
time he's been with me - mainly Eagle Pack chicken dry kibble. I have
now switched to Wysong Uretic formula as of 2 weeks ago to hopefully
replace the prescribed food he will not eat.

The cat greatly improved with the antibiotics but the administration
of them was irregular. I'd come home from work and find that he had
spit out the morning pill sometime during the day, so I'm not sure
exactly how much of the 20 pills he kept down. I know that the last
3-4 days were 100% though because I got pill pockets.

2 days after the antibiotics are gone, symptoms reoccur and there is
blood in the urine. I go to emergency vet who performs blood work and
says its clean. They confirm crystals in urine and give him a shot of
antibiotics and painkiller. They give me painkillers to be given
orally for the next few days. Vet says that he thinks its just the
crystals causing issues and the diet change will fix it.

My problem is that I've already spent close to $600 on kitty and I
can't afford much more. He won't eat the prescribed food but is the
Wysong good for this problem? I don't want to have to go back to the
vet, I want this problem to go away without stressing the cat more
than he already is. I've heard Apple Cider Vinegar is good to acidify
the urine.

Before you attempt to acidify the urine, make *absolutely* sure the crystals
are struvite. If the crystals are calcium oxalate, acidifying the urine will
only promote crystal growth and exacerbate the problem.

Years ago 97% of the crystals found in cats were struvite. So when a cat was
found to have crystals in his urine, it wasn't too risky to assume they were
struvite and treat them accordingly. Since then, practically all feline
diets have been reformulated with lower magnesium and more acidity to
prevent struvite. Now, the most common crystal found in cats is calcium
oxalate. Struvite can be dissolved medically- but calcium oxalate can't be
and usually must be surgically removed.

Old March 7th 10, 07:22 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jamina1

Just wanted to give an update:

I believe the cat is still having some urination issues, he is still
going frequently but its still coming out, which is good. Based on the
fact that he's started sleeping on the bed again and his nose is wet
and his ears aren't hot and his general demeanor (he has plenty of get
up and go and seems in much better spirits) I'm hoping that he's
getting better quickly.

I've been leaving wet food down when I go to work and feeding when I
return home, though I can't say for certain if he's eating it or my
other cat is. I am still giving him some dry food just so I know he's
eating something, but I'm trying to get him on wet. I went to Petsmart
and basically bought one of everything to give it a shot. No real
success yet, but its a start.
Old March 7th 10, 04:07 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stormmee

if this is the way you want to go maybe you can continue this and then on
your days off offer wet food more often with little or no dry to encourage
him to eat the wet... since you will be there on your days off you can
monitor what he and the other cat eats, Lee

Old March 7th 10, 07:32 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_2_]

"Stormmee" wrote in message
i meant this or that treatment works... to spew that sort of thing does not
allo9w for differences in cats or issues at all and i find cultish at best
and stupid at worst, Lee

Then take a break from these NGs and learn about cat nutrition.

Here's some good links to start you off:
Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
History of dry food (a must-read article):
http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php
http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com/
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/canned_food.htm
http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm