Advice on giving pills to Kenzie

Old March 4th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Advice on giving pills to Kenzie

wrote in message
The vet just called, and Kenzie's thyroid functions are elevated, as
was suspected. That's the good news.

The bad news is that her liver functions are very high (very, very
bad) and her pancreas function is also elevated (not AS bad). And the
vet doesn't know why.

So she recommended treating Kenzie's thyroid problem, and checking her
lab($) in a month.lali

The recommended treatment is 2x a day. This not going to be fun;
Kenzie is like a lot of calico cats: she's happy, as long as
everything is too her liking. If not, she can be difficult. Up till
now, this wasn't a problem, until I had to take her to the vet. What a
fight she puts up, when I try to put her in the carrier!

So I'm NOT looking forward to giving her tapazole 2x day.

I can get liquid tapazole, but it's very expensive, compared to pills;
so I'm going to try the pills first.

Any and all advice for giving a pill to a very uncooperative cat would
be greatly appreciated.

If you live alone it's very difficult to pill an unco-operative cat, you
need more hands than you've got. KFC is impossible to pill for me and very
difficult with liquid meds, she sprouts more legs than she has all with a
million claws which she is not afraid of using. She has amazing strength
for such a small cat that is supposed to be on her last legs ;-)
I like the idea of rubbing the meds into their ear. I've never heard of it
here, my pharmacist would probably faint at the idea I expected him to be
able to do it but if that can be done in USA, that's the way I'd go with
Kenzie.
Has anyone got a link about how cat meds can be put into a form by a
pharmacist that can be rubbed into the ear? If I could rub something into
KFC's ear, it would save so much upset. She gets so angry if she has to be
held to be medicated.
It's easy for the vets to say "give her this" they have vet nurses to do it
and help each other. I noticed last time she was in hospital the nurses
ducked out from her last dose of meds and allowed me to do it when we got
home. I wonder why? ;-)
I know why. It's those million claws that appear out of the blue.
If you met KFC you would think she was charming. She loves people and purrs
up a storm when she is petted. She was charming at the vets until they
tried to medicate her. The day before, they told me that they did not
understand why I had any trouble giving her medication as she was such a
nice kind cat. Until they tried.
LOL! They could not wait to get rid of her..there were some injuries,
apparently.
KFC has this persona - she is smaller than a 4 month old kitten and no-one
who sees her takes her seriously. Except myself..and perhaps the vet now.
She is brilliant with toddlers, she will allow them to clutch her and will
only purr. I was surprised, I though she might scratch, but no.
It was an accident that my young nephew, 15 months, got to get hold of her.
I was out of the room and my brother did not see the danger of it. The baby
grabbed her by the skin of her back. If I had done that she would have
probably scratched me as a quick response to "do not ever get hold of the
skin on my back unless you want to die." She ignored it and played with the
baby.

She likes children more than I do.

Tweed

Old March 4th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

http://tinyurl.com/cuamox is the first one I could find.
Old March 4th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Dan M" wrote in message
Has anyone got a link about how cat meds can be put into a form by a
pharmacist that can be rubbed into the ear? If I could rub something
into KFC's ear, it would save so much upset. She gets so angry if she
has to be held to be medicated.

http://tinyurl.com/cuamox is the first one I could find.

Could you post the full url? My ISP is very suspicious of tinyurl and won't
let me access the links to it.

Tweed

Old March 4th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 4, 1:41 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

For the first time in my life, I may be 'happy' that Kenzie was front
declawed, before I got her. She does bite though, like many declawed
cats do. She has *never* broken my skin, so far. I know she easily
could, though. I've been betten before; I know how powerful cat's jaws
can be!

I found this about the skin prep:

There is a topical version of Tapazole that can be formulated by one
of our pharmacies. It helps minimize the inconvenience of giving an
oral medication to a cat every 12 hours. It is expensive, and at this
point in time, does not work as well as oral Tapazole.

It was on this website, devoted to feline hyperthroidism:

http://www.lbah.com/feline/hyperthyroidism.htm#trt

They do not get any more specific than what I copied.

Thank you for all the advice! I haven't had to pill a cat for 25
years; I've been very fortunate. And back then, I had help. Now, I'm
on my own.

Kenzie is NOT going to like this AT ALL. But since cost is a factor,
I'm going to try the pills first

Thank you

Gandalf -- still hates Google groups. Working on getting another
computer for temporary use, at home.

Old March 4th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Let me know how you get on. You might get the pills into her without being
slashed to pieces, but there again you might not.
I have accepted that KFC cannot be pilled. Lots of luck with Kenzie.

Tweed