This takes the cake

Old August 27th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default This takes the cake

The younger generations of our next door neighbors went to the auction to
shop this morning. And found something so cute and so bedraggled and so
pathetic looking that they just had to bring it home. (And for the record
we live inside the city limits.)

Oh, the update on the ones who were evicted across the street. Kittens
found homes. Guinea pig found home. Poppa cat died before they moved out.
The big tom hanging around over there actually lives down the street. And
they may have come by and picked up momma cat. She hasn't been seen for a
while, and they did come looking for her once.

For any of you who have ever brought home a stray and felt guilty, or been
won over by a cute puppy or kitten or guinea pig etc that you really didn't
need or have room for. You are hereby absolved.

Now the family next door consists of older couple. Two young men that I
think are their sons or grandsons. (I'd guess 16 and 20) Niece about
twelve. Wife of older young man (About 18) and their two children. The
older man has been disabled for a few months and told he won't be able to
return to work till at least the first of the year. No medical or
disability insurance. Only one with an income right now is the older young
man who works loading trucks at night. That at least provides insurance for
him, his wife and their two children.

Today they came home from the auction with this. And I still don't believe
it but I saw it. A young Billy goat.

"But he looked so sad tied up there".

Jo
Thinking my kids aren't so bad after all.

Old August 27th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

OMG!!!

The city should be notified and be on their asses in a heartbeat.
There are strict rules for owning livestock.

I know this because when I was in RVT school i helped out a lot on the
farm where we had a whole bunch of goats.

And one of my classmates was very involved in finding homes for the
baby goats that had been abandoned by their mothers. And I know that
ONE billy goat named Tiny was trained on a diaper, (don't ask) but you
CANNOT keep a goat in a house or yard.

First of all, a goat can make a TON of mess, noise, and if it's an
unneutered male, they also stink.

I can't believe they just picked up the goat. sheesh!! Idiots!!!

Kristi

Old August 27th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:30:39 -0700, Mischief wrote:

OMG!!!

The city should be notified and be on their asses in a heartbeat.
There are strict rules for owning livestock.

I know this because when I was in RVT school i helped out a lot on the
farm where we had a whole bunch of goats.

And one of my classmates was very involved in finding homes for the
baby goats that had been abandoned by their mothers. And I know that
ONE billy goat named Tiny was trained on a diaper, (don't ask) but you
CANNOT keep a goat in a house or yard.

First of all, a goat can make a TON of mess, noise, and if it's an
unneutered male, they also stink.

I can't believe they just picked up the goat. sheesh!! Idiots!!!

Kristi

Perhaps they were looking for a lawnmower. MLB

Old August 27th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

mlbriggs wrote:
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:30:39 -0700, Mischief wrote:

OMG!!!

The city should be notified and be on their asses in a heartbeat.
There are strict rules for owning livestock.

I know this because when I was in RVT school i helped out a lot on
the farm where we had a whole bunch of goats.

Kristi

Perhaps they were looking for a lawnmower. MLB

Lawn? What lawn? I could swear there was a lawn here yesterday, honest!

Jill

Old August 28th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Wheels

Mischief wrote:
OMG!!!

The city should be notified and be on their asses in a heartbeat.
There are strict rules for owning livestock.

I know this because when I was in RVT school i helped out a lot on the
farm where we had a whole bunch of goats.

And one of my classmates was very involved in finding homes for the
baby goats that had been abandoned by their mothers. And I know that
ONE billy goat named Tiny was trained on a diaper, (don't ask) but you
CANNOT keep a goat in a house or yard.

First of all, a goat can make a TON of mess, noise, and if it's an
unneutered male, they also stink.

I can't believe they just picked up the goat. sheesh!! Idiots!!!

Kristi

I'm a little surprised - different countries, different customs I guess!
People certainly keep goats in their yards over here. It's not that
common, but it doesn't usually raise any eyebrows. My next-door-but-one
neighbours have several in a fenced yard.
Old August 28th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Helen Wheels wrote:
Mischief wrote:
[...]

Yes, I was thinking that it wouldn't be unusual here either. Our next
door neighbours-to-be (where we will be building our house) have a
little black pony. They got it from a woman who was keeping it in her
back yard in the city (Perth). That seems a bit much. At least here
the pony has a few acres to roam around on.
The pony's name is Jasper and the funny thing about that is that the
people also have a son named Jasper. Turns out the pony was already
named when they got him. Weird, I think I'd try to find a new name for
it, like Jazz or something!
It will be interesting when we finally move into our new house to see
Vino's reaction to Jasper :-)
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old August 28th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Here, it would depend on where the yard was. In most of the city proper,
I'm pretty sure farmyard animals are not allowed - I don't know the
specifics, but I think poultry-raising isn't allowed and I doubt goats
are! But there are certainly areas within the city limits, now that they
have been expanding to take in a lot of formerly rural, converting to
suburban, areas where you might well be able to have a goat. They have
cows etc in an area which was set aside for farmland years ago, and which
the subdivisions have spread around!

Our local SPCA had a goat dropped off not long ago - I don't know if they
were able to find a home for it.

Here in the middle of town is the Agriculture Canada's farm. It is
next to where I used to
work. I used to see cows on my way to work. Then there was the poultry
farm right behind
the office building. But it is gone now and replaced with residential
homes .

Winnie

Old August 28th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
OMG!!!

The city should be notified and be on their asses in a heartbeat.
There are strict rules for owning livestock.

I know this because when I was in RVT school i helped out a lot on the
farm where we had a whole bunch of goats.

And one of my classmates was very involved in finding homes for the
baby goats that had been abandoned by their mothers. And I know that
ONE billy goat named Tiny was trained on a diaper, (don't ask) but you
CANNOT keep a goat in a house or yard.

First of all, a goat can make a TON of mess, noise, and if it's an
unneutered male, they also stink.

I can't believe they just picked up the goat. sheesh!! Idiots!!!

This is a house on less than a 1/4 acre lot and there is already a swimming
pool (that they cannot currently afford to maintain). I suspect
conversation over dinner tonight will result in some hurt feeling and plans
to rehome one goat.

Jo

Old August 28th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
OMG!!!

The city should be notified and be on their asses in a heartbeat.
There are strict rules for owning livestock.

I know this because when I was in RVT school i helped out a lot on the
farm where we had a whole bunch of goats.

And one of my classmates was very involved in finding homes for the
baby goats that had been abandoned by their mothers. And I know that
ONE billy goat named Tiny was trained on a diaper, (don't ask) but you
CANNOT keep a goat in a house or yard.

First of all, a goat can make a TON of mess, noise, and if it's an
unneutered male, they also stink.

I can't believe they just picked up the goat. sheesh!! Idiots!!!

Kristi

My mother had a pet goat for several years when she was growing up. I
always wanted one. You don't have to worry about mowing the lawn if you
have a goat. ;-)

Joy

Old August 28th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Winnie wrote:
Cheryl Perkins wrote:
[...]

Where I live, now there are subdivisions of middle-class type homes. Used
to be all farmland. When I moved out here, the folks down the street had
cows and chickens. I got such a kick out of driving to work and seeing
actual "free range" chickens running around in their front yard Woke up
hearing a rooster crow and cows lowing. Ah! it was nice. Now, it's just a
bunch of cookie-cutter houses crammed close together. (sigh)

Jill