Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

Old August 3rd 10, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Sherry

Default Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

On Aug 2, 9:03*pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

On Aug 2, 2:07 pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:

"Stormmee" wrote in message

I too love words, but that has no relationship to meow chat, rpcc is in
short the cats version of narnia or harry potter, it is just a way to do
creative writing. it is no more or less important than that to the
broader
society or english written or spoken word. if you want to get worked up
over something go and read the text messages of a few teens or avid
texters, now that is something to get worked up over if you are worried
about the advancement of any written or spoken word, Lee

Tell me about it.....I raised three myself, and I had to teach them all
English, (as well as maths) Our teachers here are unbelievable, and
getting
worse all the time......

Well, you can't blame the teachers for text message content.
The kids (and adults!) have kind of come up with that on their
own. :-)
Doesn't bother me as long as it's kept in the context of text
messaging.
Kind of a *******ized version of shorthand.
And as long as they know proper grammar, punctuation and
capitalization
when they need it. And I agree that's becoming a failing in our school
system.
Bad spelling, capitalization, etc. just screams "Correspondence with
you isn't important enough for me to use spellcheck" nowadays.

Sherry

Ah yes....Text messaging. I don't understand why the young set likes it so
much. To me, It is vastly inferior to just talking on the telephone. And,
because the world if full of idiots that do it while driving, and run off
the road and crash and burn, they make laws that prevent me from talking on
my cell phone while driving, because apparently, the lawmakers can't tell
the difference between talking, and reading.....I have spent my life driving
while talking. I do it with passengers, with the radio, and with citizens
band transceivers in trucks.
but now, because some idiots try to read the tiny printing on their cell
phone screens while driving, I can't answer my cell phone while in my car
anymore! The other day, When I was on my way to pick up a friend, he phoned
me to tell me he couldn't make it, and I stopped right in the middle of an
intersection to answer my cell phone, much to the disgust of everyone else
on the road.....I wonder how long it will take to get the lawmakers to
realize that there is a difference between talking and reading.......- Hide quoted text -

It's completely insane for one to think they can send and/or read
text messages while driving, safely. But they *think* they can!
And just to make us both sound like grouchy old people (to them)...
I think we're raising a nation of young people who are all going to
need carpal tunnel surgery before they're 30.
I never answer my cell phone in the car. Whoever it is can wait until
I can pull over, stop the car, and call them back. That's what caller
ID
is for. If I *do* send a text message, I take the extra (seconds!!) to
send it in proper English. I don't have it in me to deliberately
sound ignorant. I wrote and proofread for a living once. I don't
dumb down to save a few seconds.
Sherry
Old June 19th 11, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Richard Casady

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:20:31 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

"nice guy" nice wrote in message
What is 'Welfair'?

Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want to
use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but prefers to
cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of intentional gibberish.

What? You not only post in English, I would bet you use your real
name.

Casady
Old June 19th 11, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Richard Casady

wrote:

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

"nice guy" nice wrote in message
What is 'Welfair'?

Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't
want to use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English,
but prefers to cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of
intentional gibberish.

What? You not only post in English, I would bet you use your real
name.

Casady

If you are talking to me, then yes. Of course I use my real name. Why would
anyone not use his/her real name when posting on usenet, unless they are a
troll who is too chicken to stand behind whatever he/she posts. I post the
truth as well as I know it to be, and stand behind everything I say. When I
find out I am wrong about something, then I post the correction. (Except
there are usually a thousand trolls who jump on my mistake before I get the
chance....:^)

I have been posting with my real name since 98 and never found a
downside to it. Real addy and after all this time the spammers found
me. I average one a day, sometimes for stuff I can use.
Old June 19th 11, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

wrote:

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah....I do get a lot of ads for junk, but it only takes me about 5 minutes
a day to delete them, and like you say, sometimes there is something I can
use, so I don't mind it so much. After all, someone has to pay for the
internet service, just like someone has to pay for the TV programming
material. The computer is cheap compared to the TV. Ads utilize about 1/3 of
your watching time on the TV, but I don't spend anything like that much time
reading/deleting ads on the computer......

Old June 19th 11, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
[email protected]

wrote:

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

[...]

I have been using my real name since I started going online in 1993.
My email doesn't always show my real name in the header, but I do not
use a fake name or hide it. When I had acess to a regular newsreader,
I had a sig file that used my real name automatically. I don't bother
to sign my posts these days, but will add my name if I tihnk it is
helpful.

While I do not use my phone to text, I will send messages via my ipod
touch with a chat type program. Same mini keyboard, and I spell out
all my words. I hate cell phone chat style. It seems pretty junior
high to me.

If you would like to look up old posts in the archives, my first email
address was romulan (at) u.washington.edu as I was in college when I
started. I had 6 months with a stupid email that was study something
as I was studying online at that time. Then romulan (at)
cyberspace.com. And then in 1993, I got my own domain name, so
friesian (at) zoocrewphoto.com. My name is Meghan Noecker, and I am
not afraid to use my real name. Fake names are for people who want to
post things that would haunt them if they used their real name.

I do get a lot of spam, but I've been using the same email address for
13 years, and I don't want to change it since it is a business email
address for me as well.

Old June 19th 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

wrote:

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

[...]

When I started out using the internet, I picked an email address like weg
(my initials). After several false starts, I ended up with weg9 because all
the weg's 1 through 8 were all used up.....By me! But I couldn't tell them
that so they could nullify the others and just give me one. These are
probably still on the books and still can't be used by anyone. I still have
this same problem today. When I try to buy something from the internet, they
ask me if I am a returning customer. I don't know the answer to this
question, so I say yes. Then they ask me for a password or user name and I
get it wrong, so they say I am not a member. So then I try to sign up, and
when I give them my name and pick a password, it says, "I'm sorry, but that
name and/or password have already been used by someone else. - Of course
they have, you idiots, (I say) and that somebody else is ME!! Half the
problem is they have some minimum number of characters that can be used in
their passwords, and how big that number is is a deep dark secret. They
could say, please give us your 8 character password." But they don't. The
leave it up to me to guess how many characters they require. I have a
password system that generates the password based on how many characters it
has. If they refuse to tell me how many characters they require, then I
don't know what the password was. So there are businesses all over the
internet that have me listed several times on their books, but there is only
one of me, so the others never buy anything as far as they know, but it
impossible for me to remove them from their books because I don't know the
exact user name and password I need to do that. It is only a question of
time before all the available storage space on all the on line sellers is
used up by this kind of junk.....

Old June 19th 11, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
CatNipped[_5_]

I hate, hate HATE those companies that not only require a certain number of
characters, but refuse passwords that are recent repeats of past passwords
(like 20 passwords back, or won't allow consesequitive letters, or common
words, or anything at ALL easily memorable - no wonder I can't ever get into
the same place twice. What the heck do they care if I get "hacked", that's
*NY* problem, and besides, the passwords I use and remember couldn't
possibly be figured out by anyone but me and *maybe* Ben. Who the hell are
they to tell me what's a proper password for me??!!

/password rant

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old June 19th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

wrote:

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. Consecutive letters rules kills some of my passwords. I need as many as
three consecutive letters in a row for some of my paqssword generations. So,
I cross companies that require two or less off my shopping list. Right now,
I am trying to generate a password system that aqutomatically encodes a
password of numbers, letters and special characters from a simpler system of
just a 5 or 6 digit number, based on the location of the keys on a standard
keyboard. If I could tell exactly when the password was first generated,
then I could develop it from the date, but, unfortunately, I have no way of
knowing this. The way I do it now is to generate an alpha-numeric password
based on a single number, but that doesn't work for some companies who
require a more involved password than that system is capable of. That's why
I am looking at trying to generate one from a number based on the location
of the letters and special characters on a standard keyboard. This is kind
of interesting to me because I was a math major, and number puzzles like
this are fun for me.

Old June 19th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message
[...]

Really? "Stuff" like the $2,000,000 "reserved" for you in UN funds, and
the various lotteries you've won without even entering? (Barnum was right!)

Discuss Nutralime harry Cat community 0 February 22nd 10 03:41 PM
lets discuss shelters Stormmee Cat anecdotes 8 March 8th 09 09:11 PM
An idea to discuss (recipes/rpca emergency fund) Debbie Wilson Cat anecdotes 56 December 24th 04 10:19 PM
For Those Who Want To Peacefully Discuss Cats Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 58 March 1st 04 12:38 AM