Advice please?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 1st 03, 09:58 PM
Dooies B.B

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
In , "Dooies B.B"
wrote:

| I took her to the vets about 8 months ago and due to her drinking lots
| more and stuff it was suggested that she did have mild kidney problems,

"Mild" is a relative term. You should know that kidneys normally have
massive redundancy: there are *no* clinical signs of renal failure until
75% of kidney function has already been lost.

| but it was also suggested that at her age perhaps it would be better
| not to treat her.

This is complete nonsense. Whilst not curable, kidney failure is far
from untreatable. Please see:

http://www.felinecrf.org/

If your vet doesn't like the idea of a hydration regime (subcutaenous
fluids, done at home), then you should seek another vet for a second
opinion.

Eight months is definitely too long a gap between checkups for a cat
with kidney troubles. You should have a full blood panel done to see
where her numbers are.

| I just find it difficult to watch her slowly stop existing.

You do realize, I hope, that it may not just be her arthritis that is
troubling her at this point? If she has kidney trouble, the toxins will
be building up in her blood, causing her to feel nauseous and tired.

| The problem really for me is just not knowing how much she is suffering.

If there were a way to make her feel better, would you go for it?

If you're willing to answer yes, then please take her to a vet who knows
how to *treat* old cats, rather than one who merely commiserates.

Of course I would try and make her feel better. I have acted under the
advisement of my vet, and it seems I have made a mistake which I will
attempt to sort out. However if the treatment itself is trumatic, and will
not result in a marked improvement and may well need to be repeated serveral
times, then I do wonder if it is the right choice forcing it on an animal
who can't understand what is happening, and who may well have other health
concerns that already impeed her happiness in day to day life.

I have researched the website and it seems that Katie is almost certainly
suffering from some Kidney problems. And yes I am aware that her back
problems are not likely to be the only thing causing her problems.

I do feel that you are attacking me merely for making a mistake based on
information given to me from a trusted person. Whist I realise now that the
choices I have made up to the point may have adversely affected my cat, she
is well loved, and it was not out of choice. My concern has always been for
the welfare of my animals, and not of cost or anything else.