Apologies to group, especially Pat

Old July 20th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Bottled Water (WAS: Apologies to group, especially Pat)

On Jul 20, 8:26 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Ketzl's Dad" wrote in message

. net...

On Jul 20, 2007, jmcquown wrote:

Ahem... I have to ask... why are you paying for a bottle of water? You
do
realize most bottled water is just tap water, right? Granted, some
places
tap water sucks in terms of taste. But selling bottled water is someones
grand idea of a money making joke; wish I'd thought of it!

Tap water is far from palatable in some places, I would suspect, notably,
big
cities. New York water is reputed to be excellent, and in terms of taste
it's
very good. The problems arise from such things are very old lead pipes in
some buildings, and occasionally infestations of some bacteria that may be
harmless to most people but not all.

Bottled water has its own set of inherent problems, recently elaborated on
in
a couple of news articles: all that plastic, a lot of which is not being
recycled; the production and transporting of all those bottles require
energy, as does their recycling.

I drink the tap water here, but I filter it through a tap filter, and I
reuse
bottles several times before sending to the recycle bin. Still, I think a
major rethinking is required; when I see all the TV spots for "vitamin
water"
and all those other energy drinks, I think, as you do, "what a scam!"

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

I buy bottled water to keep in the car when I'm traveling, and I have some
on hand for "emergencies" (Hurricane Rita went through here -- I was without
power for 7 days but there was no problem with water). Other than that, I
drink tap water -- and the tap water here actually tastes very good.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

I buy it for the same reason, and buy distilled water for my iron. I
remember my mom
catching rainwater for her iron, and to rinse our hair. Rainwater
makes your hair
soft as silk.

Sherry

Old July 20th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 20, 8:15 am, Ketzl's Dad wrote:
On Jul 20, 2007, jmcquown wrote:

Ahem... I have to ask... why are you paying for a bottle of water? You
do
realize most bottled water is just tap water, right? Granted, some
places
tap water sucks in terms of taste. But selling bottled water is
someones
grand idea of a money making joke; wish I'd thought of it!

Tap water is far from palatable in some places, I would suspect, notably,
big
cities. New York water is reputed to be excellent, and in terms of taste
it's
very good. The problems arise from such things are very old lead pipes in
some buildings, and occasionally infestations of some bacteria that may
be
harmless to most people but not all.

snipped
Joey Dee from NYC

That's right; and it's not just a big-city problem. Lots of people
here have water
that's perfectly safe, but tastes yukky. They call it "gyp water"--I
believe it's
from too high of a concentration of gypsum. Bottled water isn't a new
thing--
folks have always hauled in/bought water for drinking purposes.
Our little town's "claim to fame" is a natural spring that
historically was used by
Viking explorers as well as Native Americans. There is always someone
in the
park catching water to take home, it is really good water.
I think bottled water is great for convenience, too. It's expensive,
but just another
example of how people spend "disposable" income. There's nothing wrong
with that--in the
1950's the older women thought things like fabric softener were just
expensive luxuries.

Sherry

Reminiscing like this has reminded me of the water we had when I was growing
up. We lived in a rural area got our water from our own well. Just as you
described, it was perfectly safe but tasted *awful.* It also had the most
repugnant *odor* because it had sulfur in it. We had some sort of water
treatment attached to the pump (chlorinator and something to remove that
smell), but it only worked "somewhat." My father eventually began to buy
bottled water. My mother thought that was an enormous waste of money since
the water was safe, but none of the rest of us could even drink out of a
glass with that water in it because the scent was nauseating. Fortunately,
the tap water where I live now is *really good.*

MaryL

Old July 20th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Jul 20, 2007, Sherry wrote:

I think bottled water is great for convenience, too. It's expensive,
but just another
example of how people spend "disposable" income. There's nothing wrong
with that--in the
1950's the older women thought things like fabric softener were just
expensive luxuries.

Good points,all. I remember when, as a child, hearing my mother talk about
"pay TV" and "bottled water" being a future commodity, I couldn't imagine why
anyone would pay for either (and in my youthful innocence/ignorance, I
wondered where you would put the quarters for the pay TV thing) but now cable
is ubiquitous and bottled water is becoming so.

I do keep a few gallons of water for emergencies, rotating them every so
often. A few years ago there was a major blackout here. Since my tap water
comes from a tank on the roof of my building, eventually that tank ran dry
and there was no tap water to be had -- nor any water for flushing the toilet
for a couple of days.

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old July 20th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Jul 20, 2007, MaryL wrote:

Reminiscing like this has reminded me of the water we had when I was growing
up. We lived in a rural area got our water from our own well.

And you have just reminded me of the two years I spent in the woods in West
Gloucester, MA, where my lovely little cottage had its own well. Fortunately,
it was wonderful water; it made the best coffee I've ever had and spoiled me
for life. Even using filtered or bottled water for coffee doesn't produce as
good a brew.

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old July 20th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sherry" wrote in message

I buy it for the same reason, and buy distilled water for my iron.

Do you have a dehumidifier, Sherry, or know anyone who has? The water that
it collects can be used for your iron. I bottle it in used plastic lemonade
bottles. I only use 2 or 3 bottles a year as I only iron if it's essential,
so I give the rest away to neighbours and family.

remember my mom
catching rainwater for her iron, and to rinse our hair. Rainwater
makes your hair
soft as silk.

Adding a tablespoon of vinegar if you are brunette, or lemon juice if you
are blonde, to a bowl of warm water, then pouring it over your hair from a
jug as a final rinse after shampooing has the same effect, and gives shine
too.

Tweed

Tweed

Sherry

Old July 20th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Matthew" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
Heck I go to the movies I wear the baggiest clothes I own and sneak
food in. I am not paying $4.00 for a 16.9 oz of bottle water that
cost $.75 in the machine around the corner.

Ahem... I have to ask... why are you paying for a bottle of water? You
do
realize most bottled water is just tap water, right? Granted, some
places
tap water sucks in terms of taste. But selling bottled water is someones
grand idea of a money making joke; wish I'd thought of it!

Jill

Drink the tap from my area and all you will taste is Chlorine

That's the case with water where I am, too. That's why I have a Brita
filter attached to my tap. I bought a few bottles of the cheapest I could
find, just so I'd have the bottles. I drink my filtered tap water and it
tastes fine. It is also a lot cheaper than bottled water.

Joy

Old July 20th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

. ..

"Ketzl's Dad" wrote in message
[...]

My sister lives in a small town in Alaska. The tap water there tastes
wonderful, and is also cold, too boot. I like it for drinking, since I
prefer my water ice cold. However, it's a bit of a shock in the morning to
wash your hands and face in ice water. ;-)

Joy

Old July 20th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Apologies to group, especially Pat

mlbriggs wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:53:06 -0400, Matthew wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

wrote:

There's a movie theater in my city like this - kind of a
pizza/pub/sandwich joint with movies. They took out most of the
regular theater seats and put in couches and coffee tables, and
further back, some long bar/tables and chairs, so you could sit and
eat as you watch the movie. They sell pizza (of course), sandwiches,
salads, etc, plus beer and wine, soft drinks, coffee and tea, candy,
popcorn, and so on. The food isn't outrageously expensive, either, but
it's how they make their money because the price of admission is quite
low. I love going there, but I rarely get one of
the coveted couch seats because of my propensity for arriving late.

Sounds sort of like the "dinner theaters" that seem to be popular here
- except that with movies they'd only have to pay a projectionist and
the movie rental fee - not actors and a stage crew. It would certainly
beat "sports bars", for non-sports fans like me!

I remember a dinner theatre... at my old job they shut down the office
early
and sent us to see a play that afternoon. We were served food from a
nice buffet then there was a comedy called 'All the Girls Came out to
Play'. Well, yes, they did! It was allegedly about a gay writer who
went there to
get away from it all. The women were all deterimined to get him into
bed. Alas, he wasn't gay... so he helped himself to the femme fatales

Jill

I must be spoiled we have several in the Orlando area the best is called
Sleuths Mystery Dinner Show http://www.sleuths.com/ I been several times

Way back in the "old days" people went to movies to see s show -- not to
eat. My uncle owned a bunch of theatres and food and drinks were not
permitted inside. It was OK to take in a candy bar but that was it. He
said food attracted rats and he did not want rats or mice in his theatres.
As I said: a long time ago. MLB

Back when I belonged to the Saturday matinee crowd, an
afternoon at the movies ALWAYS included popcorn (unless I
had spent too much of my allowance)! Ten cents for the
movie (for kids under twelve) and ten cents for the popcorn
meant I had to be very frugal the first part of the week -
my allowance was only about thirty-five cents a week
(although that went a long way, in those days).