Chipping my Cats

Old May 1st 04, 09:54 PM
Hopitus2

One thing I didn't understand is the registering w/AKC...last I heard,
that's a d-pet pedigree
registry. Are they in charge of the records of chip-implanted identities,
whether they're in cats or d-pets?

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
: Fat Freddy wrote:
: I had thought about getting microchips for them, but had never gotten
: around to it. That visit to the Animal Shelter convinced me to get it
: done - now.
:
: Persia was a foundling and she is an indoor kitty; she escaped one day
about
: 2 months after she acquired me. She was gone for 24 hours. I was so
: upset... I was out walking around the neighborhood, calling for her half
the
: night. I almost had her, then some guy opened his front door and let his
: dogs out and she took off.
:
: The next night after work, I just sat down on my patio and cried, thinking
: I'd lost her forever. I went back inside and not 10 minutes later I hear
: this plaintive "Ow?" at my back door. Oh, you CAT you! Where have you
: been?! ROFL She was covered in leaves and mud; had obviously slept under
: bush.
:
: I took her to the vet to be chipped the following Saturday. The vet said,
: "We're going to go weigh her, be back in a few." I sat there for what
: seemed like a really long time. Then he came back and said, she's such a
: good girl, she didn't even squeak. HUH? Yeah, he didn't want me to see
the
: size of the needle until it was all done. The tip is about the size of
the
: end of a ball-point pen cartridge. OUCH!
:
: Jill
:
:

Old May 1st 04, 10:05 PM
jmcquown

Hopitus2 wrote:
One thing I didn't understand is the registering w/AKC...last I heard,
that's a d-pet pedigree
registry. Are they in charge of the records of chip-implanted
identities, whether they're in cats or d-pets?

I dunno. I've got a phone number to call if I lose Persia which has nothing
to do with the AKC.

Jill

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Fat Freddy wrote:
I had thought about getting microchips for them, but had never
gotten around to it. That visit to the Animal Shelter convinced me
to get it done - now.

Persia was a foundling and she is an indoor kitty; she escaped one
day about 2 months after she acquired me. She was gone for 24
hours. I was so upset... I was out walking around the neighborhood,
calling for her half the night. I almost had her, then some guy
opened his front door and let his dogs out and she took off.

The next night after work, I just sat down on my patio and cried,
thinking I'd lost her forever. I went back inside and not 10
minutes later I hear this plaintive "Ow?" at my back door. Oh, you
CAT you! Where have you been?! ROFL She was covered in leaves and
mud; had obviously slept under a bush.

Old May 1st 04, 11:07 PM
Fat Freddy

One thing I didn't understand is the registering w/AKC...last I heard,
that's a d-pet pedigree registry. Are they in charge of the records of
chip-implanted identities, whether they're in cats or d-pets?

I dunno. I've got a phone number to call if I lose Persia which has nothing
to do with the AKC.

The way it was explained to me was this:
The chip is registered with the vet who implanted it and if the cat is
scanned, the vet gets the call from the Shelter and he calls you. This
is included in the price of the implant.

The AKC also maintains a database of microchipped animals, the CAR
(Companion Animal Registry). To register with them costs an additional
$12.50. But the advantage is that it is a universal database maintained
as a 24/7 service so you get notified immediately, where your vet may
be closed on weekends or after hours.

For just a few bucks more it seemed like a good idea to me if only for
my peace of mind.

By the way, even though it is a big needle used to inject the chip, my
cats didn't seem to notice it all. As a matter of fact, I have never
seen them even blink when they have gotten any shots, so I guess cats
don't have much feeling in the skin on their shoulders which is where
they get most of their shots.

Old May 1st 04, 11:53 PM
Hopitus2

I agree. I used to give Hopitus1 his twice-daily insulin injections into
back-of-neck, between shoulder-blades loose skin while he was eating his
twice-daily meals, and he never once stopped chowing down nor appeared to
notice any pain at all. That is, I gather, where they put the chip.....

Old May 2nd 04, 03:43 AM
Steve Touchstone

On 1 May 2004 11:59:03 -0500, Fat Freddy wrote:

Our three cats go in and out as the please, and even though we live in
a fairly safe, cat friendly environment, if they don't come home every
day, I get worried. They all wear collars with tags, but they loose
them often.

Snip

I'm with you on the chipping thing. Anything that improves the chances
that they'll be returned if they ever get lost is a good. And, it
doesn't cost much, though the price seems to have gone up since I had
it done. Been a while, but I think it was only $5 a piece for
registration, and the price for putting in the chip will of course
vary depending on TED and location.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old May 2nd 04, 05:06 AM
Sherry

The chip is registered with the vet who implanted it and if the cat is
scanned, the vet gets the call from the Shelter and he calls you. This
is included in the price of the implant.

We've had two separate incidents where a cat and dog were scanned, had the
microchip, but the owner had moved and didn't change their address in the
registry, and had an expired forwarding address at the post office. We still
managed to find the owners, but it took some dedicated people digging to do it.
It's important for people to remember to update that registry.
Sherry

Big cats in England Yoj Cat anecdotes 75 April 26th 04 02:49 AM
Feral cats _Evolution_ by Stephen Baxter Peter D. Tillman Cat anecdotes 83 April 16th 04 09:11 AM
"The CarMax of Cats" (nice story) CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 3 March 30th 04 06:10 AM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 05:14 AM
The cats of the Blue Cave badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 September 29th 03 05:25 PM