Can you name a cat DUKE?

Old June 14th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Can you name a cat DUKE?

Kreisleriana wrote:

In my mind, Duke and Dook sound identical...
Unless you mean "rhymes with book"?

In England, and in many parts of the US, the correct pronunciation is
considered to be something like "dyook." It certainly is a bit posher
sounding.

Oh, "dyook". I didn't even think of that.

Mat Sav, is that how Duke is pronounced in Canada, too? (Or at least
in your part of Canada?)

"DOOK" is just how we used to say it in Brooklyn. It sounds a
little more working-class.

I've never heard it said any differently, so to me it's not tied to
class.

Sometimes it's not clear how to pronounce words with "oo" in it
because there's the "oo" as in "food", and there's the "oo" as in
"cook". (Hmm, what's on *my* mind this afternoon? )

Anyway, Bridget - however you may pronounce it, I think it's fine
to name a cat Duke!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 14th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote

Outside of North America, "Duke" sounds like "Juke".

Yes, but what if Joyce says "JOOK"?

She does. Not as a name, but as a machine for playing music in a bar
or restaurant.

Old June 14th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Sherry wrote:
On Jun 14, 5:06 pm, "Kyla =^. .^=`" wrote:
bastXXXett...

Sherry
Haven't met a feline "Duke" yet! I guess it's a cute name for a
boycat. Except
I always hang the "e" sound as a nickname: Like Franky, Booty,
Bikkie, etc.
"Dooky" sounds kinda bad :-)

Why?

Um, Dooky is slang for 'poopy' G
Hug
Kyla

Exactly, Kyla! :-)

it is? Wow, you learn something every day!

Yowie

Old June 14th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:
Sherry wrote:

"Dooky" sounds kinda bad :-)

Why?

Um, Dooky is slang for 'poopy' G

Exactly, Kyla! :-)

"Um", thanks. Sheesh. I never had kids, so I don't know kiddy poopy
slang, OK?

Sorry, I'm a bit crabby, and I'm taking offense easily. But I don't
know any less than any of the rest of the people on this newsgroup,
although maybe I just know *different* things.

Didn't see any offence, Joyce, because if you hadn 't asked, why 'dooky' was
kinda bad, I would have. Considering the rest of thread about language and
pronunciation, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. I read the
'um' as I would have written 'err', meaning, its kind of embrassing to talk
about, not to be discussed in polite company, type 'um'.

Of course dooky is a topic of long and detailed conversation at my
place.We've finally got The Yowlet to (mostly) go No.2 in the toilet with
much bribery and threats, and when he does, we all have to go in to witness
the evidence and cheer wildly whilst he descibes in excrutiating detail of
how it happened. It has become such ordinary conversation I have to be
careful not to slip and have the same type of concersation at work, at
least, not with people who arent'also going through the toilet training
process with their sproglets.

Yowie

Old June 15th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

[...]

LOL!

When my daughter was taking biology, and later training to become a medical
technologist, she would bring up subjects at the dinner table that are
normally not considered dinner table conversation. For instance, there are
uses for blenders outside of kitchens. If a blender is used in such a way,
one would never want it near one's kitchen, no matter how well cleaned and
sterilized it was.

Joy

Old June 15th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Um, Dooky is slang for 'poopy' G

"Um", thanks. Sheesh. I never had kids, so I don't know kiddy poopy
slang, OK?

Didn't see any offence, Joyce, because if you hadn 't asked, why 'dooky' was
kinda bad, I would have. Considering the rest of thread about language and
pronunciation, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. I read the
'um' as I would have written 'err', meaning, its kind of embrassing to talk
about, not to be discussed in polite company, type 'um'.

Oh, OK. I hear "um" very differently, as sort of sarcastic, and meaning
something like, "Since you're *obviously* too stupid to know what that
means, then I guess I'll have to *explain* it to you, won't I, moron?"
Maybe I've been reading too many newsgroups dominated by teenage boys, LOL.

I actually heard a whole analysis of the word "um" on the radio, read by
a linguist (Geoff Nunberg, for those who are familiar with him). He
discussed its history as a "filler" in English, used when someone is
trying to come up with the right word. And it's also used as a way of
being polite, when discussing delicate subjects (just as you said above),
or when you have to correct someone who made an incorrect statement, but
you don't want to embarrass them, so you say "um" as a way of sounding
discreet and not too strident or authoritative. Sort of like, "Um, I'm
just folks, and we all screw up, and I just thought you'd like to know
that..."

But then he went on to discuss the more modern, ironic use of "um", to
mean just what I said in my first paragraph. It's a "pretend" use of
"um", where the person isn't really being polite, and they don't really
want to spare the other person's feelings - in fact, embarrassing the
other person is exactly what they want to do - so they use the term in
a sarcastic way, to be cool. I see this all over the place on Usenet,
web forums, etc. Tt's mainly a written affectation, although I've heard
it in speech occasionally too.

Anyway, sorry Kyla, that's just how I read "um" in a usenet post. Nothing
personal. I take it back, I just got bristly. Feeling pretty sensitive
today, not sure why, but it's not your fault. Maybe I should log off for
a while.

You can all go back to your regularly scheduled programming now.

Old June 15th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

When my daughter was taking biology, and later training to become a medical
technologist, she would bring up subjects at the dinner table that are
normally not considered dinner table conversation. For instance, there are
uses for blenders outside of kitchens. If a blender is used in such a way,
one would never want it near one's kitchen, no matter how well cleaned and
sterilized it was.

Would this be something I saw on CSI recently?