Can you name a cat DUKE?

Old June 15th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

Default Can you name a cat DUKE?

"Debby Hanoka" wrote in message
Not if you're a North Carolina fan g

Why not name the cat Rutgers? g

Debby

Oh gee, here we go. Why not Villanova, St. Johns or Seton Hall? :P

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 15th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

In my mind, Duke and Dook sound identical...
Unless you mean "rhymes with book"?

In England, and in many parts of the US, the correct pronunciation is
considered to be something like "dyook." It certainly is a bit posher
sounding.

Oh, "dyook". I didn't even think of that.

Mat Sav, is that how Duke is pronounced in Canada, too? (Or at least
in your part of Canada?)

"DOOK" is just how we used to say it in Brooklyn. It sounds a
little more working-class.

I've never heard it said any differently, so to me it's not tied to
class.

Sometimes it's not clear how to pronounce words with "oo" in it
because there's the "oo" as in "food", and there's the "oo" as in
"cook". (Hmm, what's on *my* mind this afternoon? )

Ah, but Duke doesn't have an "oo." It has a "u."

(I know, thanks again, Captain Obvious. :P)

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Anyway, Bridget - however you may pronounce it, I think it's fine
to name a cat Duke!

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Old June 15th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Yowie" wrote in message

snip

I actually heard a whole analysis of the word "um" on the radio, read
by
a linguist (Geoff Nunberg, for those who are familiar with him). He
discussed its history as a "filler" in English, used when someone is
trying to come up with the right word. And it's also used as a way of
being polite, when discussing delicate subjects (just as you said
above), or when you have to correct someone who made an incorrect
statement, but you don't want to embarrass them, so you say "um" as a
way of sounding discreet and not too strident or authoritative. Sort
of like, "Um, I'm just folks, and we all screw up, and I just thought
you'd like to know that..."

I listen to Radio National - its not a 'talk back' channel, but does have
listener call-ins occasionally, depending on the program. I've come to the
conlusion its a rare person who can start saying what they want to say on
radio call-in without saying 'um' first.

Being from English stock, I was taught to use 'Err' over 'Um' in such
circumstances you mentioned, but it does make me sound a bit snooty, so I
try to say 'um' even though it sounds horrible 'crass' in my ears. People
look at me funny, because my accent is eastern seaboard Australian - but
my pronunciation is often Essex English (eg, Australians say pronounce
'plant' to rhyme with 'ant' and the 'pro' in 'project' like 'probe' but I
say 'plant' like 'aren't' and the 'pro' in 'project' like 'promise')

Yowie

Oh no!!! Yowie, once you start discussing the "A" and/or "AR" sound between
Brits, Americans and Australians IN WRITING, you're really heading for the
ditch!!!

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old June 15th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

People
look at me funny, because my accent is eastern seaboard Australian
- but my pronunciation is often Essex English (eg, Australians say
pronounce 'plant' to rhyme with 'ant' and the 'pro' in 'project'
like 'probe' but I say 'plant' like 'aren't' and the 'pro' in
'project' like 'promise')

You say "project" like a North American!

Some Americans, especially those from New England, still pronounce a's
the way you pronounce "plant". I haven't heard it with that word, but
my mother, a native Bostonian, says "bath" and "half" where the "a"
sounds like the a in "father", not like in "cat" (which is how I say
it). This sounds very snooty to me, but my mother's not from a posh
background at all.

Speaking of cats, poor Bridget, look how we hijacked her thread.

Its RPCA, this isn't so much as thread hijacking as 'thread drift' :-)

Speaking of accents, most English speaking North Americans can understand
my Aussie accent Ok, sometimes i have to repeat myself a few times but we
usually manage to communicate. Not in Minnesota, though. A friend, we'll
call him George Fong, went there on business, staying in an
internationally reknown hotel (no, I can't remember the name of it). I had
some news for him (I think it was that I was pregnant) and wanted to ring
him a the hotel. I got through to the hotel, but I didnt know his room
number, so I simply asked to be put through to 'George Fong'. "Pardon,
Ma'am?" "George Fong". "Sorry, Ma'am, could you repeat that". I tried
"George *Fong*". Sorry ma'am, could you spell that?" "G-e-o-r-g-e
F-o-n-g". "Ma'am, there is no-one of that name staying here" I got really
frustrated by that point an put on my "American Accent". Now, my "American
Accent" any particular regional accent, its the accent us Australians use
when we're imitating Americans so that the listener knows we're imitating
Americans. Itmust sound *horrible* to folks who have a *real* American
accent (just like Americans trying to do an Australian accent sound worse
than fignernails down a blackboard to any fair dinkum Australian) but it
was worth the shot "JAWJ FARNG". "Oh, Mr *Farng*. Certainly, Ma'am" and I
was put through.

Yowie

OMG, Yow, this is taking me back. Sometimes I don't know how the Aussie ex
and I understood anything the other said. It was firther complicated
because like you, his family was from England, there was a lot of that
influence in his speech, and he would get grief about it in Australia.
I can remember epic battles over "eaten" and "et." Where I come from,
nobody says "et" except the Beverly Hillbillies.
"Arse" and "ass." For him, they were pronounced the same, or that's how it
sounded to me. For me the only way to distinguish them was with a
pronounced "rrrrrrr" sound.

I'm sure a linguist could tell a lot about patterns of transmission from
these instances.

He used to do literacy instruction for the Fortune Society, which helps
inmates get ready for life on the outside. He had a lot of problems with
one Puerto Rican pupil about "Octopus." The guy said "Oh-ctopus." Stephen
said "Aw-ctopus." Perplexed, he asked me how I said it. I said something
like "AAAh-ctopus."

And of course, I'm reading and writing this transcription according to how
*I* hear those vowel sounds. Others might interpret them entirely
differently. That's why I wrote above about writing about "A" and "AR"
among Brits, Aussies, amd USA'ers. It'll make you crazy.

Old June 15th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 15, 8:26*am, "Kreisleriana" wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

Heh. My very good friend and I from Long Island practically had to
have
an interpreter :-) And there is such a variance just from state to
state, even
here! Duke is definitely "Dook" here.
One particular word I ended up having to spell for her, she could not
understand
me. It was "Hallmark." New Yorkers and Okies prounounce that word
completely
different.

Sherry
Old June 15th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Jun 15, 8:37�am, "Kreisleriana" wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

[...]

Stinky Pictures:http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh- Hide quoted text -

I watch BBCAmerica alot and understand them most of the time. There
was series called Life on Mars that took place in 1970's Manchester. I
had trouble understanding them. I'd hit rewind on my DVR and hit mute
to read the captions.

Bridget, go with your gut, if Duke sounds right, name him Duke.
Suz&Spicey
Old June 15th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

I'm sure. And Long Islanders, in my experience, have the *most pronounced*
Noo Yawk accents. They have the really big "Brooklyn" or "Bronx" accents
you hear in old movies. They sound more New York than we do (inside the
actual city).

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 15th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

If you want entertainment, you should listen in when I talk to a guy on
another group that lives in New Jersey. I am a cross between Kentucky and
Alabama, having been raised for a few years by an Aunt from there. I have
tried to remember to add proper endings to words.

when I talk to my friend from out east, I really have to pay attention and
sometimes do a "whoa, what was that word?" Since he does the same or asks
me to explain something I say, it is an interesting conversation, at least
to this family.

The older I get, the less I am trying to be proper about words. Pie is pi
and evening is evenin'. I am still trying to write them correctly.
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

Old June 15th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

Heh. My very good friend and I from Long Island practically had to
have
an interpreter :-) And there is such a variance just from state to
state, even
here! Duke is definitely "Dook" here.
One particular word I ended up having to spell for her, she could
not
understand
me. It was "Hallmark." New Yorkers and Okies prounounce that word
completely
different.

Sherry

I'm sure. And Long Islanders, in my experience, have the *most
pronounced* Noo Yawk accents. They have the really big "Brooklyn"
or "Bronx" accents you hear in old movies. They sound more New York
than we do (inside the actual city).

A lifetime ago, I remember standing in line to register for classes at
American University in Washington DC. I'm a DC native, but apparently
it is one of the schools to go to if you went to high school on Long
Island.

These kids were standing around me, and getting to know one another.
I swear to you they could tell which high school someone had attended
by their accent.

Jo

Old June 15th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

"Jofirey"

bastXXXette
Yowie
Um, Dooky is slang for 'poopy' G

"Um", thanks. Sheesh. I never had kids, so I don't know kiddy poopy
slang, OK?

Didn't see any offence, Joyce, because if you hadn 't asked, why
'dooky' was
kinda bad, I would have. Considering the rest of thread about language
and
pronunciation, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. I read
the
'um' as I would have written 'err', meaning, its kind of embrassing to
talk
about, not to be discussed in polite company, type 'um'.

Oh, OK. I hear "um" very differently, as sort of sarcastic, and meaning
something like, "Since you're *obviously* too stupid to know what that
means, then I guess I'll have to *explain* it to you, won't I, moron?"
Maybe I've been reading too many newsgroups dominated by teenage boys,
LOL.

I actually heard a whole analysis of the word "um" on the radio, read by
a linguist (Geoff Nunberg, for those who are familiar with him). He
discussed its history as a "filler" in English, used when someone is
trying to come up with the right word. And it's also used as a way of
being polite, when discussing delicate subjects (just as you said above),
or when you have to correct someone who made an incorrect statement, but
you don't want to embarrass them, so you say "um" as a way of sounding
discreet and not too strident or authoritative. Sort of like, "Um, I'm
just folks, and we all screw up, and I just thought you'd like to know
that..."

But then he went on to discuss the more modern, ironic use of "um", to
mean just what I said in my first paragraph. It's a "pretend" use of
"um", where the person isn't really being polite, and they don't really
want to spare the other person's feelings - in fact, embarrassing the
other person is exactly what they want to do - so they use the term in
a sarcastic way, to be cool. I see this all over the place on Usenet,
web forums, etc. Tt's mainly a written affectation, although I've heard
it in speech occasionally too.

Anyway, sorry Kyla, that's just how I read "um" in a usenet post. Nothing
personal. I take it back, I just got bristly. Feeling pretty sensitive
today, not sure why, but it's not your fault. Maybe I should log off for
a while.

You can all go back to your regularly scheduled programming now.

Just another example of written language not being the equivalent of
spoken language.

How does that saying go..

"I know you think you understood what you thought I said, but you don't
realize that what I said wasn't really what I meant"

Or something to that effect.

I'm finding the wind and smoke in the air are making me even more
irritable than usual.

Jo

(((((((Jo))))))
I was up all night in tears because I felt I'd offended some people here and
I feel so blasted bad I can't think straight. I am SO sorry
I would NEVER intentionally do that.
Jo, I can understand why you're you're irritable, with the fires and your
close person going off to a horrid war, and please know you and he are in my
prayers.
Alot of us are sad and irritable because of all the awful weather and
disasters and rottten things going on.
Again, please forgive me...
Hugs and love to all
Kyla