Can you name a cat DUKE?

Old June 16th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Can you name a cat DUKE?

Kreisleriana wrote:

Oh no!!! Yowie, once you start discussing the "A" and/or "AR" sound between
Brits, Americans and Australians IN WRITING, you're really heading for the
ditch!!!

Reading this thread, I find myself wishing I knew how to write the
phonetic alphabet on the keyboard, but OTOH, not everyone knows how to
read that. There are at least three or four signs for different A sounds
alone.

Old June 16th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Marina" wrote in message
Then there's the word "haaahht". What does it mean? Depends where you
are. In the Midwest US states, it refers to a high temperature. In New
England, it refers to the muscle that pumps blood through your body.

So how do people in the Midwest pronounce heart? I never realised it could
be pronounced any other way. I've probably heard it in films, but haven't
realised.

For a non-native speaker, the accents are easier to understand, it seems.
A co-worker of mine is married to an American lady, and he told us that
one time, they were travelling in some part of the US where the wife had a
hard time understanding what the natives said, while this Finnish guy had
no problems.

There are accents and then there are *accents* and for me personally, some
accents are less understandable than others. I have a lot less trouble with
New England and Midwestern speech than I do with Southern accents,
especially deep Southern. I recently saw a documentary about the
Mississippi delta, and I was just floored. I couldn't understand people at
all, especially the older ones. I have a friend in Texas whom I sometimes
can't understand either.

What's interesting in New York is something outsiders might not recognize--
I think we all sound the same to them. But while most of us born here have
some flavor of "Noo Yawk" accent, the strongest ones belong to the
suburbs. People out on Long Island and in some parts of Jersey like a
fifties gangster movie. I guess it's because at a historical moment when
what we call the New York accent was really strong and flourishing, they
took themselves away and isolated themselves geographically. Now in the
city itself, people keep coming from all over to live here, but few people
come from the Midwest to live out on Long Island. So the accent remains
relatively undiluted.

You see a similar thing up in Red Sawx Nation, I think.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old June 16th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

(snip)

What's interesting in New York is something outsiders might not
recognize-- I think we all sound the same to them. But while most of us
born here have some flavor of "Noo Yawk" accent, the strongest ones
belong to the suburbs. People out on Long Island and in some parts of
Jersey like a fifties gangster movie.

Eeek, I meant they SOUND like a fifties gangster movie. Little
fourteen-year-old girls sound just like my late grandfathers.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 16th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Jun 15, 2:03�pm, wrote:
Sherry wrote:

� Oh no!!! Yowie, once you start discussing the "A" and/or "AR" sound between
� Brits, Americans and Australians IN WRITING, you're really heading for the
� ditch!!!
�
� Theresa, Stinky and Dante

� Heh. My very good friend and I from Long Island practically had to
� have an interpreter :-) And there is such a variance just from state to
� state, even here! Duke is definitely "Dook" here.
� One particular word I ended up having to spell for her, she could not
� understand me. It was "Hallmark." �New Yorkers and Okies prounounce
� that word completely different.

Then there's the word "haaahht". What does it mean? Depends where you
are. In the Midwest US states, it refers to a high temperature. In New
England, it refers to the muscle that pumps blood through your body.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. �^..^

LOL, I'm no longer a Midwesterner (raised in Mich), when I saw Haaahht
I thought heart, not hot.
Suz&Spicey

Old June 16th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 6:54 am, "Kreisleriana" wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

(snip)

What's interesting in New York is something outsiders might not
recognize-- I think we all sound the same to them. But while most of us
born here have some flavor of "Noo Yawk" accent, the strongest ones
belong to the suburbs. People out on Long Island and in some parts of
Jersey like a fifties gangster movie.

Eeek, I meant they SOUND like a fifties gangster movie. Little
fourteen-year-old girls sound just like my late grandfathers.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Pictures:http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Yeah, I hear you. Last night watched a Law & Order episode about a cat
burglar
who stole only antique silverware, one of my interests, and at the
end, when it
was revealed who the murderer was, I could not make out a word the
murderer
was screaming -- a female - in a total Jersey mode. OTOH, no, in spite
of what
is said in south FL, you New Yorkers do not all sound alike. My SIL is
a native
of Finger Lakes region, near Rochester, and several friends of mine
from Rochester
and she sound nothing like NYC New York.

Oh, that's UPSTATE!!! It's TOTALLY DIFFERENT-- as they would be the first to
tell you. Like another country-- another planet. Different in every
way. I'm sure it's annoying to Upstaters, but when people talk about a
"New York Accent," they mean the New York City metro area speech pattern.
People in West New York, like Rochester talk much more like people in
Pennsylvania and Ohio, whom they are also closer to geographically. Down
here, we call Rochester "Ratchester," because that's how it sounds to us
when Rochster natives say it.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

It isn't just you, though, LOL....i have Cajun cousins in the delta of
Louisiana who
I have to be around for a few days before we are able to communicate
with each
other, in spite of being glad to see each other again when we get
together....our
friend Catnipped understands Cajuns, I believe. Tough, resourceful
people living
simple, fulfilling lives, virtually isolated by preference, and some
of the best-looking
men I ever set eyes on.....nothing changes much down there.

Old June 16th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

I was watching Oceans Eleven last night (droll movie BTW) and George Clooney
was in it, so Duke can be pronounced like CLOONEY
That make any sense?
Hug
Kyla
--actually gonna venture outside today

"Jofirey"

"Kreisleriana"

Heh. My very good friend and I from Long Island practically had to
have
an interpreter :-) And there is such a variance just from state to
state, even
here! Duke is definitely "Dook" here.
One particular word I ended up having to spell for her, she could not
understand
me. It was "Hallmark." New Yorkers and Okies prounounce that word
completely
different.

Sherry

I'm sure. And Long Islanders, in my experience, have the *most
pronounced* Noo Yawk accents. They have the really big "Brooklyn" or
"Bronx" accents you hear in old movies. They sound more New York than we
do (inside the actual city).

A lifetime ago, I remember standing in line to register for classes at
American University in Washington DC. I'm a DC native, but apparently it
is one of the schools to go to if you went to high school on Long Island.

These kids were standing around me, and getting to know one another. I
swear to you they could tell which high school someone had attended by
their accent.

Jo

Old June 16th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

"Marina" ...
bastXXXette
Then there's the word "haaahht". What does it mean? Depends where you
are. In the Midwest US states, it refers to a high temperature. In New
England, it refers to the muscle that pumps blood through your body.

So how do people in the Midwest pronounce heart? I never realised it could
be pronounced any other way. I've probably heard it in films, but haven't
realised.

For a non-native speaker, the accents are easier to understand, it seems.
A co-worker of mine is married to an American lady, and he told us that
one time, they were travelling in some part of the US where the wife had a
hard time understanding what the natives said, while this Finnish guy had
no problems.

Of course we get lots of US TV shows, films and music here, but I think of
the language in them as mostly 'neutral' American English. No pronounced
accent, except if the character is a specific type; the Brooklyn cab
driver, the southern lady, etc.

Most of the cabbies here wear turbans.
And chat in their native tongue on their cell phones.
It's been a long time since I took a taxi cab, however.
Hug
Kyla

Hug
Kyla

Old June 16th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:

Marina wrote:

Of course we get lots of US TV shows, films and music here, but I think of
the language in them as mostly 'neutral' American English. No pronounced
accent, except if the character is a specific type; the Brooklyn cab
driver, the southern lady, etc.

Most of the cabbies here wear turbans.
And chat in their native tongue on their cell phones.

Good point. I think the image of New York cabbies all sounding like
Robert De Niro is out of date nowadays.