Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work?

Old January 31st 05, 04:34 AM
Mary

"Margaret S." wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:10:17 -0500, KellyH wrote:
"Margaret S." wrote in message
... /snip/

If a neighborhood female happens to mate only with the vasectomied tom

(as can happen in some neighborhoods, at least occasionally), he may bring
her out of that heat without getting her pregnant.

/snip/

That's a pretty stupid reason. If I had a neighborhood unspayed female,

I'd get her spayed.

Can you catch all the loose females in your neighborhood? What if some of
them are wearing ID, and the owner does not give permission for surgery on
his animal?

A vasectomy on a male you do legally own, is something you can legally do.

She can also remove his testicles.

Old January 31st 05, 04:36 AM
Mary

"Margaret S." wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:42:15 GMT, Mary wrote:

"Margaret S." wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:40:35 GMT, Mary wrote:
/snip/

they must suffer heats
and painful intercourse.

From what I've read and seen, the idea that cats need pain to induce

ovulation seems a convenient urban legend. People who say that, never seem
to cite any actual studies to support it.

/snip/

Margaret, have you seen a cat penis? Cat vaginas are similar to human

ones.

Aw, you're just anthropomorphizing.

I am? I see. Thank you for enlightening me. Now then, how are
they different?

It is a fact that sexual intercourse is necessary for ovulation in cats,

and it is a fact that the spiny penis of a male cat is painful to the
female.

Um ... do you have a study to support that?

Um, do you have a study to prove that your asshole is
connected to your colon? lol!

Old January 31st 05, 04:37 AM
Mary

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:11:58 GMT, BarB wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:43:08 GMT, "Margaret S."
wrote:

Not much other good reason for spending money on a vasectomy, sfaik. On

my
site I mentioned a few bad reasons, but I'm not going into complicated
issues here on Usenet, where posts get snipped out of context (and

sometimes
misrepresented).

It really is bad manners to direct people to your website to continue
the discussion. Snipping is the correct way to keep conversation
focused on the point you want to discuss.

My question to you is have you had a vasectomy done on a cat? If so,
what did it cost? I've tried looking for one who would do it in the
Dallas area, with little success. I would consider it for the feral
colony I support, but most vets won't handle a feral in a trap at
all. Those who will, have never done vasectomies.

BarB

I just asked a simple question and had no idea it would get out of
hand. You're right, continuing this thread is in bad taste.
Thanks people for the range of opinion.

"In bad taste?" You must be out of your mind.

Old January 31st 05, 04:38 AM
Mary

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote in message
nk.net...
In article ,
"Margaret S." wrote:

they must suffer heats
and painful intercourse.

From what I've read and seen, the idea that cats need pain to induce
ovulation seems a convenient urban legend. People who say that, never

seem
to cite any actual studies to support it.

Not looking very hard, are you?

She's still outside looking for that hole in the ground
that she thinks is her ass.

Old January 31st 05, 04:50 AM
Mary

"Margaret S." wrote

I've seen that too. But there are some people who really do hold to

their
principles, and the only way they would sterilize was if we informed them

of
a non-desexing alternative. (I've heard of one dog owner who called 12

vets
to find one who would do a vasectomy on his dog, and got it done, in spite
of the higher cost.)

Where do you live?

Old January 31st 05, 05:57 AM

Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male...
Would it work? Or would they fight all the
time? Would the male be aggressive? Let
me know if you've ever been in this
situation. Thanks as always!

Don't anthropomorphize the male. He'll be a great cat even without the
testicles (he won't miss them and *won't* be "less of a male") and will
be at much less risk for contracting diseases, injury and abcesses from
fighting. He also won't be able to contribute to the out of control
overpopulation problem. Just because you spay the female doesn't mean he
won't find one that isn't fixed, and more unwanted kittens will result.
If both cats aren't fixed he could very well make life miserable for the
female.
Another reason to neuter is to eliminate or minimize spraying behavior.
The smell of tomcat urine is unbearable, and having the stench permeate
your home is extremely undesirable.

Also, ignore the freak posting as "Margaret S." She's got some serious
mental issues and has some very strange ideas with regard to how to
treat cats. Her "spay but leave the ovaries" garbage she posts ad
nauseum has been proven to be harmful and put females at risk.

Get both cats fixed. They'll be happier and healthier.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 31st 05, 06:03 AM
Margaret S.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:50:01 GMT, Mary wrote:

"Margaret S." wrote

/snip/
(I've heard of one dog owner who called 12 vets to find one who would do

a vasectomy on his dog, and got it done, in spite of the higher cost.)

Where do you live?

I don't post personal info on Usenet, but I'll put some of my background on
my website. And I'll link to it from my Flame War Zone, since I've answered
some of your flames there instead of here.

I'll grant that some of my vet info may be out of date, since I no longer
have animals of my own. When I post about 'my animals' or 'in my experience'
I mean those I had in the past, or observe elsewhere.

Some years ago I had to leave my home state and begin a lot of travelling,
so I left my animals at my home with a long-term house-sitter and of course
did not replace them.

The man who called 12 vets to get a vasectomy for his dog was in ranching
country.

Margaret S.
--
http://www.sangerfan.com Common Pet Questions
and Flame War Zone
Old January 31st 05, 02:31 PM
KellyH

"BarB" wrote in message
. earthlink.net...

With the people I deal with who adopt cats, it's always a question of
cost. They may try to rationalize a no-spay position, but when you
offer a low-cost spay, it's surprising how their position changes.
If we adopt one out that's too young to spay, I follow up later with
an offer to spay her at a vet who gives us a discount price. That's
about 1/4 of what some vets charge.

I find that true, also. Most of the time when people have unspayed females,
it is because of financial reasons, not because they don't want to spay. We
or one of our partner org's, will offer low-cost or free spaying, which no
one has ever turned down. The people are usually looking for help after
their cat has had her first litter.

I have ran across people who won't neuter their males, but normally it's
men.

Our shelter adopts out 100% spayed/neutered cats. We have a vet who does
pediactric spays/neutered at 8 weeks, so even all of our kittens go home
spayed/neutered.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 31st 05, 02:40 PM
KellyH

"Margaret S." wrote in message

"Granny" is a middle-aged indoor/outdoor cat who has been producing
litters
for several years. She and several other cats have a very good
relationship:
grooming each other, sleeping in a pile on the owner's bed, sharing a big
food bowl. Everyone's health is good, no one is spraying or displaying
other
signs of stress or aggression. All have all available vaccinations and
tested FIV negative. Her mate, "Grandpa", uses the cat door and does his
spraying outdoors. "Granny" does not have to wander or mate with strange
toms, as "Grandpa" is always ready for her. (The local vet says "Grandpa"
has negligible chance of being bit by an FIV-positive cat in this area.)
The
_only_ problem this household has is pregnancy.

snip

I already know what she would say. Spay the female and neuter the male. We
had a ten year old cat come into the shelter who was unspayed. Honestly, I
was surprised the cat was that old and still alive, being unspayed. She
looked more like 15-17 years old, but she was an owner turn-in, so we knew
how old. Owner did not spay the girls, but neutered the males because of
finances. This cat was terribly underweight because of not being spayed.

In your scenario, how does the vet *know* the male has a negligible chance
of getting FIV? Has she tested every cat in the neighborhood?

Too me, I don't picture these two cats as a happily mated pair. I see poor
"Granny" suffering, having to mate because of drive and instinct. Poor
thing going into heat over and over again. I see "Grandpa" getting eaten by
an animal, beat up by another tom, run over, being the nusance of the
neighborhood with his spraying. Cats deserve a better life than that.