Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work?

Old February 1st 05, 11:39 AM
Phil P.

"Margaret S." wrote in message

I want my
errors where I can correct them, instead of preserved forever at GG.

A little too late to worry about that....

Old February 1st 05, 11:51 AM
Phil P.

"Margaret S." wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:40:35 GMT, Mary wrote:
/snip/

they must suffer heats
and painful intercourse.

From what I've read and seen, the idea that cats need pain to induce
ovulation seems a convenient urban legend. People who say that, never seem
to cite any actual studies to support it.

I see. So you think the queen's yowl is one of orgasmic delight? ...and she
attacks the tom after out of gratitude?

Try this on... or should I say in?

http://www.maxshouse.com/Illustratio...tom_cat%20.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/Illustratio...m_cu_barbs.jpg

You're a little kinky, aren't you? You like a little S&M, do you?

Old February 1st 05, 11:56 AM
Phil P.

"Margaret S." wrote in message

If he is simply castrated, then that neighborhood female may have to

wander
farther to find a mate,

Queens *always* roam when there's only one tom in the colony or area!

Queens deliberately *entice* toms to fight over her as a means of assuring
the strongest kittens possible.

Your knowledge of cats is truly amazing! LOL!

Old February 1st 05, 12:41 PM
Phil P.

"Margaret S." wrote in message

and one tom can be enough for a female cat,

From where do you conjure up these ridiculous notions?

From Roger Tabor - a leading feline biologist:

"A recent (study) by Eugenia Natoli and Emanuele De Vito on the groups of
feral cats living among ruins in the center of Rome has cast light on the
secret sex life of the cat by following the queens that came in heat. During
the course of a queen's estrus, she would be courted by 8 to 20 males, and
although at any particular mating session there would be as many as 15 males
around her, 5 was most common. Most females copulated with more than one
male during their estrus period, some with up to 7 males.

An important feature of cat mating that emerged from this study is that
significantly there were 2.5 times more mounts taking place without
intromission than those with full mating. The average was 29 without
intromission and 11 with intromission for a queen in 24 hours. For the
average queen, that amounts to 39 sexual acts in 24 hours, or 1 every 38
minutes. Small wonder that the ancient Egyptians made the cat the female
goddess of fertility."

You might have a tad more credibility if you had at least a *little"
knowledge of the species you're babbling about.

You can probably baffle the average cat owner with your nonsensical
bull****. But there are quite a few people in this group who actually work
with cats - for years. I can't speak for others, but to me you sound like
an idiot. In fact I think you're a *danger* to cats as a species.

Old February 1st 05, 12:53 PM
Phil P.

"BarB" wrote in message
. earthlink.net...
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:18:39 -0500, "KellyH"
wrote:

Just about every unspayed female we get at the shelter over the age of

two
is skinny and unhealthy. All of their resources get put into going into
heat and pumping out kittens. Poor things barely have anything left for
themselves. As soon as they are spayed, there is such a dramatic change.
They put on weight, and honestly, seem relieved.

Unneutered, mature males stink, to be frank, and do not play well with
others. It takes at least a few weeks until we can even let them out

with
other cats. Sometimes they come in with nasty wounds from fighting and

are
at great risk for FIV. When we're running a FIV/FeLV test on a beat-up

tom,
it's time to pray that thing isn't positive.

That's my shelter experience as well. The only time a vasectomy seems
logical is when you are working with a feral colony. The dominant
male can take the females you can't catch out of heat.

That's the reasoning that sold me on the idea years ago. ...and it would
work *if* the queen mated with only one tom, but she doesn't... unless he's
the only tom in town.

Phil

Old February 1st 05, 06:00 PM
Margaret S.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:53:53 -0500, Phil P. wrote:

"BarB" wrote in message
. earthlink.net...

/snip/

The only time a vasectomy seems
logical is when you are working with a feral colony.

The dominant
male can take the females you can't catch out of heat.

That's the reasoning that sold me on the idea years ago. ...and it would

work *if* the queen mated with only one tom, but she doesn't...

Someone up the thread (perhaps Barb?) said that she thought the dominant
male in her feral colony was fathering all the kittens. Do you think she was
wrong?

unless he's the only tom in town.

Phil

Or the only one in the neighborhood the few days she wants to mate. There
are some situations like this, in less crowded areas.

I suppose I should add a Question on ferals at my site.

Margaret S.
--
http://www.sangerfan.com Alternatives to Spaying / Neutering
and Flame War Zone
Old February 1st 05, 06:11 PM
Margaret S.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 06:15:30 -0500, Phil P. wrote:
/snip/

What if some of them are wearing ID, and the owner does not give

permission for surgery on his animal?

If the cat is roaming free intact... What ID? I didn't see any ID. As
far as I'm concerned, if some asshole is directly responsible for the
death of dozens of unwanted litters, sorry, that person forfeits their
right and should be fined or better yet, jailed.

What if the animal is microchipped? Does your vet remove that too?

I suppose he would check for 'neuticles' before subjecting the animal to
anesthesia?

Margaret S.
Old February 1st 05, 06:13 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote

You might have a tad more credibility if you had at least a *little"
knowledge of the species you're babbling about.

You can probably baffle the average cat owner with your nonsensical
bull****.

Nah. I'm the average cat owner, and I could smell her a mile away.

But there are quite a few people in this group who actually work
with cats - for years. I can't speak for others, but to me you sound like
an idiot. In fact I think you're a *danger* to cats as a species.

She is. And obsessed with the sexual behavior of cats, too.

Old February 1st 05, 06:18 PM
Margaret S.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 06:51:26 -0500, Phil P. wrote:

/snip/

http://www.maxshouse.com/Illustratio...tom_cat%20.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/Illustratio...m_cu_barbs.jpg

Good photography. What is your source for those photos?

Were they published in connection with an actual study of mating behavior,
or did they just come from a dissecting lab?

Margaret S.